Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty slow and even dull in the first act. But once
    Zoe dies
    it picks up. The last half kicks ass. And once you see the
    prototype Cylon
    you won't be complaining about shoddy CGI, either.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Okay, I finally watched this all the way through, and was much more in the mood for it. I like it a lot, although I'm a bit cloudy as to how this will be sustained for a series. Some of the acting by the younger players was less than I'd expect, but some of it (Zoe) was very, very good. Is it 2010 yet?

Above Average.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched it earlier.

WOW! I really enjoyed it! It was a lot better than I was thinking, somewhat boring at times, but still really good!

Can't wait for the show now.

4. Butters

Butters Captain Captain

:lol:

Its boring, but still really good?

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I was watching Arrested Development, yesterday, and I thought it was funny that the main girl from Caprica also played the original Bland -- er, I mean Ann.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The later half is rather boring, but the universe created with the show is very very interesting and has a lot of possibilities.

7. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think RDM really tied to put it out there that this was so separate from BSG, and would stand on its own. Which it does...but clearly it is pre Galactica. From Joseph and William (Bear's echo of the Adama theme) to watching the Cylon mow down its targets...this is so much the same universe.
    That's why it felt so good to watch...it didn't feel that disjointed from BSG really, IMHO.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Just watched it. I loved it.

9. Prometheus

Prometheus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I enjoyed it very much....hope the story telling keeps with high standards....can't wait for 2010

10. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Just watched it tonight. I voted above average. It starts out pretty slow, but begins moving pretty nice about halfway though. I liked it, but not enough to give it an excellent. It was enough to hook me into the series when it starts playing, so I guess they did their job. :lol:

11. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

I was a bit leery of this at first and made an impulse buy to get it. I was pleasantly surprised by how it drew me in. I'm looking forward to the series!

I especially like the idea of the 16yo trapped in the Cylon prototype. The origins of the Cylon's monotheism seems less solid that in was in BSG. Is it just silliness? No, but wait, this god actually did bring Starbuck back and guided the colonial fleet. No, but wait... I think that kind of discussion demonstrates how complelling this show is. It brings up more questions than answers, which is perfect for a new series to start with. Just the length of this thread testifies that there is something good beginning.

I also like the mob connection for the Adama family. Perhaps Bill was involved in the gangster life when he got older and decided to join the Colonial Fleet to escape that lifestyle? There's a lot of interesting ideas that could come out of that.

12. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I received "Caprica" yesterday as a Father's Day present from my boys. Last night, Mrs.Q2 and I sat down and watched it. The first 10 min. or so was :wtf: .

As others have mentioned, we thought it was a bit slow in the beguinning, but picked up nicely from the mid-point on. We liked it. When the end credits rolled, Mrs. Q2 turned to me and said "Is that it? Put on the next one!". I guess RDM did his job on this one too!

Q2UnME

13. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    It was okay. The pilot did a decent job of establishing parameters for the series, but it was nowhere near as transcendent as the BSG miniseries.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

But the miniseries was double the length of this so it is tough to compare.

15. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

As do I. I love it. All of the cylons we see are remnants of Zoe Graystone's consciousness--a spoiled 16 year old with technological genius, who's quick to judgment because she lacks maturity, and has no real wisdom or life experience.....sounds like a child race of beings we all know very well. Plus, the prototype has Zoe-A's fear and loathing of humanity. Talk about a recipe for catastrophic disaster.

Are people really like that? she asked Zoe.....and then Zoe was dead the next day. Humanity's already dead. They just don't know it. Personally, I think what's left of Zoe and Zoe-A will literally go mad being trapped.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Having finally listened to the very good commentary track for Caprica, one interesting bit of information is that the V Club is the same building as the Opera House.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing Virtuality, I'm happy that Caprica is the "virtual reality based series" that now has the chance to go to series. I just think the characters and the actors in Caprica, as well as the premise, has a lot more going for it.

They should dragoon the guy who played the VR villain (Jimmi Simpson) into Caprica, as anything but a creepy villain. It's weird that the actor I liked best was playing the most loathsome character, but I get the sense the guy has the versatility to play any role, and I really like actors like that (and hate to see them typecast just because they're really good a certain type of role).

I also liked the stand-in for Baltar, actually the anti-Baltar since he turned out to be one of the most sympathetic characters - James D'arcy. And the doc, played by Omar Metwally. All three seem like they'd fit the Caprica style wonderfully.

So, since Virtuality is almost certainly toast, any chance that RDM will decide to write for Caprica now?

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I finally got to see Caprica. I dunno if I could watch it as a weekly series I think I would get too bored, but it was interesting to see the origin of the Cylons.

--Where does this story fit into the pre-established timeline of the Final Five arriving at the Colonies and hooking up with the Cylons? They arrived at the end of the First Cylon War, right? So the Final Five had nothing to do with the creation of this Cylon iteration and will not appear in the series?
    --Was Zoey and this monotheist cult supposed to be the invisible hand of Not-God creating yet another Cylon iteration until it's experiment is successful? Did Zoey's specialness and her special avatar sentience after death mean she's an angel like Head-Six and Head-Baltar?
    --Were all the boobies and teenage girls making out with each other REALLY necessary?
    --This one from my better half: were the human sacrifices in the sex club the same method that the mobster uses to execute Cancer Man? Was that supposed to be a literal connection or just teenagers aping mob executions?
    --They ever talk about the Tauron mob in the BSG series?
    --I thought that the BSG series established Pappa Adama as a saintly civil rights lawyer. But here he's a mob lawyer delivering threats to politicans and arranging corporate theft. Is it just that he became a good guy after these earlier transgressions and Lil'Adama was never aware of his dark past?
    --I really liked the friendly little scooter robot. Particularly when they were fleeing in terror from the Cylon and getting gunned down!
    --Was the Cylon with Zoey's avatar in it the same one that successfully passed the shooting range test?

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Not unless the series lasts until the end of the first cylon war, which is several years away at present. This story takes place apprx. 10 years before the start of the first cylon war. Yes, the final five arrived at the end of the first war. They were the ones who convinced the monotheistic, mechanical cylons to pull back and declare a ceasefire. The final five created the skinjobs (while the mechanicals had stalled out with the hybrids) and gave them resurrection technology. The final five created resurrection technology The final five thought they were doing the right thing, but Cavil hijacked everything years later.

No. Not-God just kind of hangs back and observes. It allows humanity to destroy itself.

Most definitely not. She's a sixteen year old, spoiled immature human girl with little wisdom, but with inestimable computer genius that she inherited from her father, Daniel. She thinks she can change the worlds for the better, but her legacy is humanity's destruction instead. As Sister Clarice said to Zoe in a deleted scene, "Sometimes fate is a victim of chance." Humanity's fate--to be destroyed--was a victim of chance--Ben blowing up the train with Zoe and Zoe-A being discovered by her distraught father and being used for purposes not intended by Zoe. Zoe-A isn't Zoe. She's a frightened copy of her who de-rezzes when she becomes overwhelmed. Who knows what will go in the cylon mind once Zoe-A grows more agitated at being trapped and being used for warlike purpose? Nothing good for humanity. Does Zoe-A's mind deteriorate? My guess is yes. Had Zoe Graystone lived she might have grown out of her monotheistic beliefs, and Daniel certainly wouldn't have hijacked Zoe-A for download. Zoe's death doomed humanity.

Just a bunch of teenagers being sick and twisted.

Nope. Doesn't mean it didn't exist, but the colonies became united after the first cylon war.

Romo Lampkin implied to Lee that Joseph wasn't as saintly as he was perceived to be. It's never been established exactly what Bill did or did not know, but I expect he became privvy to many secrets as he grew older. He recognized Leoben as a cylon at Ragnar station (before the humans knew that cylons could look human). Think about that for a minute. It always struck me as strange. Methinks that young William will become aware of Tamara and Zoe Graystone's fate at some point. Daniel still has access to Tamara's avatar.

Yes.

20. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Lee already knew. He mentioned that he didn't really know what to make of his grandfather, since he would swing between bravely defending civil rights and getting murderers freed. The season 3 finale was actually written not long after the script to Caprica was completed, so that was a direct allusion to Joseph's mob connections. There was also another line that didn't make much sense to me until I saw Caprica, when Lampkin listed off questions of human nature that Joseph wanted to find the answers to. Most of it was basic stuff, "why we hurt the ones we love, but show mercy to our enemies," but the last, most pointed one, "why we create machines to make up for our own shortcomings," that one doesn't really make much sense as a driving question of human nature until you see the context of Joseph getting wrapped up in Daniel's quest to resurrect his daughter.

I'd credit Adama's intuitive leap about Leoban more to what he saw in "Razor" with the experiments grafting human bodies to cylon machines. (I like to think that also accounts for a small part of his "That's not very damn funny" reaction when he was asked if he was a [mechanical] cylon during his polygraph test.)