Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Battlestar Galactica is over. Now see where it all began...

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Caprica's pilot episode.
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

CAPRICA

[​IMG]

"Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families and their patriarchs – Daniel Graystone (Eric Stoltz) and Joseph Adama (Esai Morales) – as they compete and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies, a society recognizably close to our own. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe-to-toe blending action with corporate conspiracy and sexual politics." - The Movie God

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Why not...

The DVD will probably start trickling in later this week for those who ordered it online. Otherwise, it'll be officially released on April 21, 2009. From what I understand, the DVD contains an extended version of the pilot episode which is supposed to air on Syfy in early 2010. The pilot will then be followed by an 18-episode full season order.

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it pop up yesterday... elsewhere.

4. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

dammit I keep forgetting about this!
    BSG ending and the anticipation for Star Trek has put me in a daze of sorts . . .

I even forgot that I pre-ordered it!
    can't wait to watch!

5. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

There's one thing certain: TEH BABA's head is going to explode after the first 10 minutes... ;)

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Love the enemy! - That's what we followers of the godess Athena believe."

Nice one, Ron. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Ok, Im sold. Any doubts ive had about this show are gone. It isnt Battlestar, but its something I can see myself really getting into. The pilot sucked me in, I was simultaniously shocked, engaged, repulsed and moved by the story of Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama. It helped that Bears music was amazing too.

All In all, I cant wait for this to go to series if it can keep up this level of storytelling.

"A Cylon? Interesting...." ;)

8. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Without being too spoilery, have you noticed William B. Davis's glasses?

the same as Dr. Eldon Tyrell's! :lol:

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So that was William B. Davis?

I barely recognized him.

Also...I spotted two nuBSG Alumni. The old woman at Adamas home was played by the actress who played Lily, one of Baltars followers in "Faith".

The woman who stood at Greystones side during the demonmstration of the Cebturion prototype, also played a Quorum member in season 4. I believe she was the Tauron representative.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Distant relatives, of course. ;)

I didn't know William B. Davis was in this. Cool.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arrrgh...I hope Netflix doesn't make me wait eons with their dumb waitlisting feature...took forever for them to kick the Futurama DVDs loose. :klingon:

12. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went with Above Average. Overall I think I'm more hopeful for the series than I was after reading about it, and viewing a couple of trailers.
    Does Graystone live next door to Baltar's house or what?

The first part of the pilot was kind of goofy, I'm not sure how much I like the Holoband, or the group of teens. After the teens made their 'exit' things started getting better. Adams and Graystone meeting seemed kind of awkward, with the "Let's get coffee. There is a coffee place around the corner" dialogue.

That they threw some nice female nudity in there was a bit shocking. Could have used some of that in the extended Razor. I guess I can hold out some hope for seeing some of our favorite Cylons naked for some reason in "The Plan," right? ;)

Anyway, some of the later stuff was pretty cool. So Tauron is pretty much Mexico, nice! I didn't expect Bill Adama's uncle to be a crazy ass gangster, but it all worked pretty well.

I think the prototype Cylons stole the show for me. Especially the first test where they didn't have a decent AI brain for it. Reminds me of my college days trying to program robots to do seemingly the most simple things only to have them fail miserably. Cylon Zoe was a great Frankenstein type moment.

Polly Walker plays a monotheist of all things, and keeps her clothes on. Kind of a waste of her talents shown in HBO's "Rome", oh well.

I'm pretty curious to see what direction this thing will take. How long is it until the first Cylon war starts? Since the show proper starts a good year plus after this DVD pilot, will the show jump a bit in time as well? I didn't expect to see any of the first cylon war in the show after hearing about it, but after viewing it, if the show isn't canceled I could see it showing it, or leading into another miniseries/spinoff about it.

Oh, and I thought Bear's score fit very well. Even threw in a little bit of the Adama Theme, very nice!

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I didn't realize this was coming out this early. I'll wait and read more reviews on here before I bother buying it.

14. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

To be accurate, it hasn't been released, it's been "released," ifyouknowhatImean. :shifty:

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Well, yeah, but I just checked, and it's actually being released in a week...so close enough.

16. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Saw it by "other means." I really liked it. I'm very excited for this to go to series. :bolian: Thumbs up.

17. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe i need to go back and watch it again but i found it to be a bit boring.

18. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

OMG

had no idea that this was available yet through "other means"...

hmmm

:shifty:

:D

(disclaimer: I have already pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon. SciFi has my money.)

19. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Seems cylons were r ight on human society

20. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Much better than I feared. I voted very good. It doesn't hold a candle to BSG but oddly enough hearing Adama and cubits and cylons and seeing the first centurians makes me smile in a bad fanboy way.