Caprica 1x18: "Apotheosis"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

78.6%
  2. Above Average

16.7%
  3. Average

2.4%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

2.4%
  1. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am really excited to download it tonight. w00t!

2. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    Do you suppose they'd have shown as much if the series had not been canceled? I tend to think they would have. I'm thinking that their plan for Season 2 was a true time jump of a couple of years so that they could have some meatier, Cylon-based stories and really delve into how the machines were integrating into Caprican society. That would have been very interesting and would have had the positive side effect of dialing back on the excessive human-melodrama subplots.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Production had been finished long before the cancellation was announced, so, yes, we still would've had that coda.

4. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Confirmation? That's just a fan made theory. There's no evidence that's Daniel. And despite your implication, the hybrid was not called Daniel in Razor, it did not have a name.

5. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

But they may have made two separate final acts, one for cancellation and one for continuation, knowing the decision would be made before the episode aired. Then a simple swap in/out of which version they air could be done.

Though, the fact that they brought in the comedian guy, had all the CG Cylons and everything makes me think they would not have made it unless they knew it would air.

They probably knew the show was gonna be canceled, and made it accordingly, planning to continue at that point in the off chance it wasn't. If they thought the show would continue, we would have got a traditional BSG season ending cliff hanger.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

You are correct. The only mention of "Daniel" anywhere in the series was as the abortive Number Seven skinjob. And it was no more than that: just a mention.

I think the safest speculation is that the Final Five tried to create a skinjob based on Daniel Graystone, and Number One, perhaps knowing Daniel's role in the creation of the Cylons, got insanely jealous and destroyed him.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Yet RDM explicitly stated Cylon #7 was named Daniel as a springboard into Caprica.

From that I would say Daniel-Cylon was created in Daniel Graystone's image. At least that's what I would want to think.

8. Xerxus

Xerxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought the Final Five created the whole resurrection technology.

Seems like the Soldiers of the One already have a version of it.

9. Pseudo

Pseudo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I couldn't agree more. As much as I should have been pleased to get some kind of closure from the last five minutes all it really did was whet my appetite for more.

Damn you SyFy! Damn you to Hades! :mad:

10. fett51

fett51 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

nah. this was essentially just copying technology. Actual transfer isn't something they were doing yet, that was what Nestor was criticizing a couple episodes back.

The fantastic epilogue segment only got us to the point where cylons have integrated into their society and there are rumblings of an awakening among them, via Clarice. How that turns into a war is still a story we will hopefully be told one day. I would like to think the colonials did something to deserve the warmongering and that it just wasn't Clarice hooking them all on God, us Earthbound humans have a pretty consistent track record when it comes to how we treat things we dehumanize after all.

Still lots of unanswered questions with what happens to Tamara, Terminator Zoe and how many cylons have Zoes in their heads. Blood and Chrome will presumably clear up the latter at least.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  11. Robert Maxwell

Yes, that's what I was saying. I was just clarifying to what extent Daniel was mentioned in BSG, as he is not confirmed to be the Hybrid in "Razor."

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Oh I see, my bad.

13. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Some thoughts:

• The domestic model Cylons at the very end were a nice touch. Reminded me of the early model household robots in I, Robot.
    • The entire episode, and especially the coda, makes me wonder just how early the staff got wind that Blood and Chrome would be moving to TV, and/or that Caprica was toast. The entire last act seemed designed to show us how cool it is to see Cylon soldiers in full-on attack mode. And it kicks ass.
    • Amazing how Caprica can contain the most drawn out, pointless storytelling on TV (most of season 1, especially early on), and some of the tightest and most breakneck: Daniel conscripted a friend, had him break into a secret lab, hack a computer, copy data and bring it back in a laptop, all in the space of about 45 seconds of screen time. Jesus.
    • Clarice is a heartless, hypocritical coward.
    • Good to know that we can blame her for the entire idea of the Cylon holocaust. Bitch.

14. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Crap. It's been so long since I've seen "Razor" and "No Exit" that I got them mixed together. I still prefer to think the first hybrid in "Razor" is Daniel. Would've loved some confirmation.

15. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    This. The inconsistencies in Caprica simply amaze me. Parts of it were so utterly compelling while others were so completely dull. You wonder what would have happened had it maintained a sense of urgency with both the plot and the characters from very early on. As much of a shame is it is that SyFy canceled the show, it's equally a shame that the show's creators couldn't just focus their vision.

16. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I really think you should kneel."

17. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Writer Rear Admiral

^ That was awesome.

Although unlikely, I sure wouldn't mind if they made one or two "Caprica" TV movies to fill in some of the gaps left by the series and take us forward a ways towards the time of "Blood & Chrome". Hell, even a few "Caprica" novels would be great.

18. Robert Maxwell

Just got done watching it. That was really something, especially the ending. It felt a bit rushed but I guess that's better than the languid pace most of this series has shown.

19. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I loved the psuedo-skinjob-terminator Zoe and the statue honoring the Cylons who stopped the bombing in the Arena.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could image that would imagine that statue wouldn't have lasted very long after the start of the war with the Cylons.