Caprica 1x18: "Apotheosis"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

78.6%
  2. Above Average

16.7%
  3. Average

2.4%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

2.4%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Caprica 1x18: "Apotheosis".
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

[​IMG]

"Daniel, Amanda, and Zoe race to stop Clarice's
    master plan and save thousands of lives before
    Caprica is changed forever." - Space

Note: Due to cancellation, this is Caprica's final episode.

Syfy's Caprica Page | More Links

2. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I am looking forward to this. I am also looking forward to being done with this. :lol:

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well here we are, the end.

Heh, not quite the pomp and circumstance BSG got is it? XD

4. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ love the picture

I'm excited for this and really just ready to be through. Sounds horrible but while Caprica is getting a lot better it's still a bit of a chore to watch for me. I never would've stuck around this long if it wasn't a BSG prequel.

5. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've REALLY enjoyed the show since it came back.

But while I am a casual viewer of most scifi...I'm into the BSG-verse like most Trekkies like Trek. I find a look into Colonial society fascinating.

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, WOW. The big shock ending was that there was no cliffhanger! Pure resolution! That last 10 minutes made me nerdgasm to the extreme. Awesome! They managed to bridge Caprica and BSG so fucking nicely in one final act.

Makes me wonder what they were gonna do if season 2 did happen... they basically wrapped the show.

Simply stunned. WOOOOO!

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I said when the cancellation was announced and Syfy yanked the show in the U.S that they wanted to bury and piss on anychance of the fans rallying and after seeing the way it's end that I could make a good case for that argument.

Glad that they we've seen a resolution to much of the story line though.

Clarice struck me like so many cult leaders - more than happy to send others off to die in the name the religion but not so keen on doing it herself.

Wonder which version of Zoe was in the "Church" at the end. After her encouner with Clarice and talking about how "heaven" being so open would see people acting in the real world as they do in New Cap City, I'm surprised Zoe would have anything to do with her again.

Finaly wonder what happened to Cyrus after his showdown with the GDD guys.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Wait...so there isn't a big cliffhanger?

I'll catch this show on DVD eventually, but I'm actually (a little) excited by the fact that it will have a (little bit of) resolution.

9. Agent Richard07

^ No real cliffhanger. There's a five-minute segment that serves as a pretty good wrap-up to the series.

10. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wonder about what happened with Tamara though

11. Agent Richard07

Temis had a point. People wouldn't want those centurions in their homes washing dishes. It's something I thought about too. It was nice to see that this issue was addressed.

Yeah, I wonder how they'd deal with Tamara if the show were to get a second season.

I've been thinking that for the last few weeks. BSG's end was an event while Caprica fizzled out, but it does have an epilogue that doesn't disappoint. I don't want to say much more just yet. Not everyone has seen the episode and it's too big to spoil even in a spoiler thread.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Writer Rear Admiral

Really satisfying end. That "Shape of Things to Come" segment at the end was awesome, and the part showing what happens with Lacy totally made up for the fact she was otherwise absent in the episode. :bolian:

I enjoyed the show overall, though it tended to waver from being really cool and exciting to dull and sluggish. A shame that the whole season wasn't as consistently good as the final five episodes.

13. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that the final five episodes were "consistently good." They sharpened the narrative focus a bit and, as a group, made up the best stretch of the series. But not even "Apotheosis" wasn't consistently good. The first half of the episode pales in comparison to its final act (and coda).

But I will say that the series ended as strongly as anyone could have hoped for. "The Shape of Things To Come" works as a brilliant five-minute mini-film, portraying all of the important thematic and character elements of the series. If only the rest of the season had been so focused and condensed. And, too, it points to what would have been a fascinating second season, with an explicit focus on integrating AI into a society.

If the series had gone on to a second season, it would have been with a *lot* of very positive buzz. And as much as I have criticized season one, I would have been very eager to see season two.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

After the cancellation announcement was first made, I was disappointed. After "Apotheosis," I'm gutted. I loved every second of this episode.

15. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen the episode yet but if it has a seeming resolution to most storylines...that makes buying the DVDs more inviting.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Such a shame to see it go, especially when it ends with something like that.

Great episode with a fantastic epilogue at the end. Although Clarice preaching to the cylons looked a little....odd, and how she would end up getting to that point was a little vague, it was nice to see the evolution of the U-87's into what we know as the fraking toasters.

Plus, seeing the Cylons storm the Pyramid stadium was amazing :P

Like I said, its a shame to see it go, but its nice to see it go out on a high note.

17. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Surprisingly, this episode didn't end on a cliffhanger and the "the shape of things to come" flashforwards at the end worked rather well as an introduction/transition to Blood & Chrome (albeit uninentionally). They just as well could have added a scene with Young Bill Adama jumping in his Viper as the very last scene. ;)

18. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excellent episode. I'm not sure what else to add to that. It shocked me with how good it was and the amount of resolution it offered for what was hoped to be a season finale. I just wonder if they wrote the ending like that thinking it would be canceled and figured they could insert some deleted scenes and not air the epilogue if it wasn't canceled?

Also...I LOVED The Shape of Things to come epilogue. The one thing I wish it contained is some confirmation that Daniel from "Razor" is an aged Cylon-ized Daniel Graystone.

Some clarification on the fates of Cyrus Xander and Tamara Adama would have been nice. Maybe a flash-foward to an aged Joe Adama and a young Romo Lampkin?

This episode (bittersweetly) cemented Caprica as a worthwhile show (and part of the BSG saga) in my mind. If nothing else, whenever I plan a complete rewatch of BSG in a year or two I will include Caprica as a Season 0 of sorts.

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Stupid BSG Wiki. Not updating their final episodes cos they haven't aired in the states yet.

Might have to watch it myself.

20. Agent Richard07

The ending was pretty powerful stuff. I enjoyed the opposing voiceovers from Daniel and Clarice. And the music was especially good and added to that powerful epic feel. It reminded me of the music they used in the Lord of the Rings trailers. I think if we had gotten a second season, the opposing factions would have been Clarice and Daniel instead of the Graystones and the Adamas. And while what we saw was a great ending, I'm not sure if it made for a great season finale. They covered too much ground, stuff that might have been better to actually see unfold.

There's so much more to discuss here. Hopefully that'll get going once more people have seen it.

With the ending we got, Caprica does feel more like a complete series than an unfinished piece that got cancelled.