Caprica 1x17: "Here Be Dragons"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 23, 2010.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

62.5%
  2. Above Average

33.3%
  3. Average

4.2%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Caprica 1x17: "Here Be Dragons".
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

[​IMG]

"The Graystones find Zoe with a vengeful Clarice closing in,
    while the Ha'La'Tha turns on the Adama brothers." - Space

Syfy's Caprica Page | More Links

2. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    Nice Tron-inspired font. :techman:

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Thanks. I couldn't find the hollow Tron font.

Anyway, wow. The show isn't going to get a propper run, but it is doing a pretty good job of connecting things up with BSG. We've seen what could lead to resurrection and projection, now there's talk of skinjobs. We can probably fill in the missing history of cylon development ourselves. The only thing we'll probably be left without are the fates of Zoe and Daniel.

A few other points...

- Poor Serge.

- Poor Billy.

- Didn't think we'd see actual dragons.

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Amanda actually talk about the "Dragon Riders of Kobol" being Zoe's favourite book?

And those people who said that Willy Adama wasn't the William Adama sure called it.

The deaths of his wife and kids might of been the motive that turned Joseph Adama into the man Romo Lamkin knew.

5. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

I have my fingers crossed they will "live forever" as head Cylons AKA a small or recurring role in Blood & Chrome.

6. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

I really, really wish this show hadn't been cancelled.

7. Ancient Mariner

Well ... finally the show is getting somewhere. I'll give it that much. A *lot* happened in this episode. But it was uneven and awkward -- jumping from one crisis to the next didn't help. (Was it me, or did Lacy's story simply stop roughly halfway through the episode?) Nor did the nearly omnipotent way Clarice's bunch broke into the Greystone home. It was a mere contrivance. Fortunately the contrivance led to Zoe's "resurrection" in the U-87. That was excellent. Joseph's loss was tragic (even if the moment was telegraphed a bit too much).

Zoe-A and Daniel coming to a truce of sorts reminds me a bit of the question posed at the end of Matrix Revolutions: How long can it last? A good development, nonetheless. Oh, and despite her ridiculous yelping at the dragons, at least Amanda had something intelligent to actually do. Good for her, figuring out how to finally get to Zoe-A -- and for not taking the bait later on.

8. pst

pst Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

it's 58 years before battlestar season 1, so it's entirely possible that commander adama was then only in his 50s, which makes sense for the blood & chrome timeline that people have been talking about? right?

9. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Hee hee, Skinjob. Made the episode for me.

Also I bet that William Adama will be the son of Joseph and Evelyn.

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I'd say we already know for a fact that William Adama will be Evelyn's son. Evelyn was mentioning her fox-hunting farmer brother this episode. I assume that this is the same fox-hunting farmer Admiral Adama mentions as his uncle in nuBSG's "Sometimes a Great Notion".

As we've also witnessed, Evelyn's hobbies apparently include building model ships, something "Willie" couldn't care less about in this episode (a first foreshadowing that he wasn't THE William Adama, I guess).

So, this episode included two strong references to nuBSG and the "real" Bill Adama.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

But they had a PSP, man! How do you stop a hacker with a PSP?

Not the brightest bunch though, I loved when the one started pulling books off the shelf when Amanda said the holoband was hidden.

12. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remain uninspired by this show. Even when it's trying to do stuff it's choppy as hell.

And color me unfazed and unimpressed with the whole William Adama shock ending. Like so many things in Season 1, he was a cheap gimmick, unneeded and simply getting in the way of an actual story. RIP you tedious little piece of hack work. :rommie:

The Lacy stuff is almost interesting. The Greystone Avatar family reunion is too pat and simply continues the trend of character retcons on an episode-by-episode basis.

13. Tom

Tom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked this episode.

14. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first "what the bloody holy fuck" ending moment since BSG. I just started thinking William Adama is a Cylon! Leobon was right!
    Remember Leobon whispering into Roslin's ear about Adama being a Cylon. That plus the talk of "skinjobs" just made me think that they were going to ask Graystone to make Willy a Cylon skinjob like Zoe.

But Willy didn't seem to mind going away from his family for a long time like sailors at sea. Which made me think of Adama on his Battlestar out in Space.

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Excellent. I didn't believe they'd actually have the stones to kill of Willy Adama. Why oh why did they cancel this show NOW?!?

16. Ancient Mariner

If you're using Photoshop, you can make the font black and use "inner glow" to create the effect.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

My thoughts exactly. The show has been getting better, and I like that the storylines this episode actually tied into each other. Well, except for the Lacey stuff, but since the Cylons all have copies of the Zoe program in them it kind of relates back to Zoe and Tamara in V-world.

It would be kind of ironic if the Zoe avatar eventually embraces her humanity again, only to be horrified by the fact that other versions of her have become remorseless killing machines in the form of the Cylons.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

^ How do we know that all of the U-87 Cylons have copies of the Zoe program? Was that mentioned somewhere that I missed it?

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

It's heavily implied that some piece of Zoe is in there since they answer to Lacey's commands. I don't know what other conclusion we should draw from it.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought of that possibility as well after the previous episode, but I'm not sure I'd be willing yet to say that it was "heavily implied."