Caprica 1x10: "Unvanquished"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 5, 2010.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

8.9%
  2. Above Average

53.6%
  3. Average

25.0%
  4. Below Average

8.9%
  5. Poor

3.6%
  1. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the weakest part of the show until now was the STO and Clarice. That made a strong comeback tonight....the monotheist church was the epitome of creepy...and killing that "priest" was reminiscent of ancient Rome.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Joe begin the path to redemption and become the man that Bill Adama spoke of highly.

What's fascinating about this show is seeing how everything came together to create the disaster that the Twelve Colonies goes through. It's like watching a car wreck. Would love to see Admiral Adama and companies reaction to learning about all this.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would much rather see a series closer to the Cylon rebellion. The political intrigue between the colonies, how they came together, what caused the cylons to rebel. What exactly were the cylons used for? Did the colonies use them in inter-colonial wars, etc.

Let's see what the colonial space program looked like. What did the cylons use to fight the colonies, were the cylon ships colonial made or did the cylons go out and build their own weapons, etc. Why did the cylons start experimenting on humans, what got them interested in resurrection technology.

Just how fast did the colonies drop technology during the cylon war, what was the impact, etc. I am sure there were zealots on both sides.

I would have loved to have seen the relationship between Bill and his father, at the same age as say Apollo on Galactica. Something more relatable to Galactica.

-Chris

4. vampgrrl

Well what I find interesting are the parallels to modern Earth...and the state of our society, and especially Western Civilization and the United States (as well as how technology changes said civilization)

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Indeed.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I was reading online. She retired from acting in 1995 to raise a family and write. She's still retired but somehow they got her for this episode and at least one more.

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I agree 1000% with this post!

They are dragging this all out too long, just get to the good stuff already.

This show is really sad and depressing, everyone is mean, ugly, vindictive and murderous

I feel like I should be slitting my wrists or something or I'll miss out

That "mother" person sure was creepy, I don't understand why all the sudden she is giving Clarice everything she wanted, when before she was wanting her whacked

8. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    The thing is, though, Caprica was never meant to be anything remotely like BSG. RDM said as much way back when the show was announced. From 2008:
    "If Battlestar Galactica is Black Hawk Down, I would say that Caprica is American Beauty. Caprica is all about the inner lives of the people on a planet and how their personal relationships as well as their professional relationships inform what will become the creation of the Cylons"

Instead of Galactica‘s action-adventure space-based war show, Caprica will tell a story that takes place before any of the wars happened. “This is really more of a sci-fi Dallas,” Moore said. “It’s a political story, a family story. It’s about the creation of the Cylons, and it’s about a company. It’s planet-based. It’s very character-oriented, very serialized and very much about the characters. It’s a whole different genre, and that’s what makes it exciting."

- RDM
    I can understand not liking the show based on what it's trying to present. But criticizing it for not being BSG, or not having many of the elements which made BSG entertaining, just misses the point entirely.

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is obvious the show is supposed to be a tragedy tale, however Shakespeare at least gave us interesting characters who we cared about. so when they met their untimely end it left an impact on the audience. I am sort of surprised with the Galactica team on this show that they can't find one character to sort of tell the story through, that the viewers can latch on to. Where is the father Bill talked to Lee about??? We haven't found those elements in his character yet.

I am looking forward to the 10 episode web series the Galactica team is working on that follows a young Adama during the war. Rumor has it it is a backdoor pilot. Let's hope it's ready to go when Caprica crashes and burns.

-Chris

10. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I've no doubt that a Cylon War show would be more popular and likely more entertaining than Caprica. For me, at least, the value of Caprica is its potential to use science fiction tell stories that are commentaries about contemporary society.

I say "potential," of course, because as much as I liked this particular episode, the series is still a ways a way from successfully telling those kinds of stories with any consistency. And you're right, Caprica needs a character that the audience can identify with. Without such a character, I doubt that the series will have any longevity.

11. vampgrrl

Its obvious that
    a. kids view their father's through their eyes which aren't always honest

b. Joe still has a path to follow (he is going to get married again)

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Good points. It did feel as if they skipped over a bunch of stuff. At the same time though, the episode felt a bit more focussed than previous installments.

- I liked the STO recruitment simulation with the stadium blowing up. It was well done and very effective.

- It feels as if Clarice has a purpose again.

- This apotheosis bit is quite fascinating and I look forward to more on this.

- I agree that the characters feel a bit too morbid and corrupt. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more warmth injected into the mix.

Despite being a bit dour, I liked this episode.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

This episode feels like a completely different show than the episodes that preceded it. Not sure I buy Joseph Adama's full turn to the mafia side though.

On a side note, they promoted the lead cop to regular status.

I thought every TV show/movie talked about on this forum needed its stj or Stewey or Captain Robert April. :p

14. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

This was my favorite episode so far. We got a lot of backstory into the monotheistic Cylon religion of BSG.*SPOILERS* Daniel wants a VR Heaven where you can always see your lost loved ones and Clarice wants a VR Heaven to achieve immortality. She also mentioned the STO were working on resurrection technology. I'm very interested to see how these things play out and incorporate themselves into the Cylon culture.

I really liked the death scene of the priest because it was a direct homage to Brutus' betrayl of Caesar and the senators stabbing him. "All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again" indeed! It was my second favorite part.

My favorite part was the brief reference to Starbuck that Clarice made.

15. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

^which reference? I've only noticed the ring.

16. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Clarice: "Oh, a little credit, please. The hand of God brought me a girl with the ability to turn code into a song."

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Into a soul, not a song.

Fantastic episode. I don't need them to go directly to the cylon war and all the boring gun battles. What is so great about a gun battle? A couple of minutes and it's over. Then the series is done. Watching the tragedy play out in slow motion is far more fascinating to me. The characters are what makes this show great. I want to see if Tamara-A is truly the instigator of the cylon rebellion or is it Clarice. I want to see if Zoe-A becomes the victim I believe she'll be. Just how do all the actions of these characters incorporate into the future Cylon culture, yes. I want to see that. I want to see what happens to Clarice Willow. She's pivotal.

What became of this monotheistic cult of Gemenon? Will they perish in the first war? None of them seemed to be around in any great number by the time of BSG.

Have you considered the possibility he never existed, that Bill may not have shared the darker aspects of Joseph's actions because he didn't want his son to know? If Bill figured out that his father's actions were instrumental in beginning the cylon rebellion, why would we want Lee to feel that shame and stigma? What if it is Tamara who's the instigator?

Or maybe Bill remembered his father through rose colored glasses in later years. It's obvious Lee wasn't born until Bill was older. He wasn't a kid when Lee was born.

18. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned that three terms from Battlestar were coined in this episode:

toaster
    box (quite literally!)
    resurrection technology

Caprica is doing a great job of establishing Battlestar's mythos. I really don't understand people's disappointment with the show.

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I don't understand it, either. I really don't.

20. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like this show better than the original statement of what it should be. It's speeding up now to crap hitting fan events. Far more entertaining.