Caprica 1x10: "Unvanquished"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 5, 2010.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

8.9%
  2. Above Average

53.6%
  3. Average

25.0%
  4. Below Average

8.9%
  5. Poor

3.6%
  1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, and this isn't one of them.

-Chris

2. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, actually it is...

This was a fantastic episode.

3. cbspock

Why can't they actually make this show interesting. It is just getting flat.

-Chris

4. cbspock

I agree, fantastically boring, uninspired, and not one likeable character. Galactica had interesting stories, great characters, and they even did stories with out space battles, fighting, etc.

-Chris

5. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I think this episode did quite a bit to define what Caprica is about: The hubris of humanity. We see it in many different forms in this episode, but most explicitly it came in the form of the desire -- from both Daniel and Clarice -- to create a virtual afterlife. Everything else -- from the New Caprica City sequence to Lacey's indoctrination -- is a consequence of that hubris. If that doesn't move or interest you, then I don't think this show will be your cup of tea.

6. cbspock

Just not interested in this episode. Not sure if I will even continue with the series.

-Chris

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

So Vergis is now running Daniel's company? I understand that he got the contract but how did he get the company?

And Daniel actually does have other family that's still alive.

I really enjoyed the episode. I don't know why they took ten freakin episodes to get Clarice back to the form she was in in the pilot but she's already a much more interesting character. The Amanda development is interesting. Really like the storylines here. Marsters really looks like Richard Hatch on this show.

Every character on this show is rotten to the core and getting worse. But I still love Caprica.

8. Ancient Mariner

Fair enough. I don't know if the series is viable in the long term. But this was one of the better episodes, at least in terms of defining what the series is actually about.

9. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... so that trailer showing holo-Amanda was deceptively revealing, in that it quelled any notions that she's really still alive.... and then boom, she's alive! Nice twist.

Confused about something: Why was Vergis running Graystone Inc.? He bought the C-bucs, but I don't remember anything about him taking over the company.

I was pretty underwhelmed overall by this episode actually. I think the big gap hurt it, I was struggling to reconnect with the characters the whole time, whether on a plot level or otherwise. For the 11th episode, it seems like a show that's had 4-5 seasons the way they are treating the plot and characters, and I'm not sure it has earned that. That's a criticism End of Line had from many, but I didn't agree then, I guess because it was so well directed and scored that I had no trouble buying it. This time, couldn't quite get on board.

Still, the plot developments look interesting and I'll be watching next week. I'm just not sure enough other people will be to give it a second season.

10. cbspock

Great topics, if they made the episode engaging, and the characters interesting to watch. They all mope around. Galactica grabbed you into the universe, this just makes you want to have the Cylons whip out the guns and put these people out of their misery.

-Chris

11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Below Average bordering on Poor.

I feel like I missed weeks of this show. There's several unrelated, and frankly, uninteresting plot lines going on at once. How did we go from Clarice's car blowing up to her on Geminon? How did Amanda survive her fall? Vergis took Graystone Industries? When did Joseph go from the show's moral center to full on gangster? I was completely lost this entire episode. It might have not been so bad had the show previously made me care about the story or the characters. There's not one single sympathetic character here, though. I've really wanted to like this show. I've given it its chance. I think I'm done. That's it. I'm bored and apathetic towards this show, and I won't waste my time on it any more.

One other side note: The lighting in this episode seemed to wash everything out and make it look very unappealing. That could be yet another reason why I couldn't enjoy it.

12. cbspock

Yes, I agree it did set up what the whole series will be about, and the creation of the cylons but I don't see this series going anywhere if it doesn't engage the audience. This series needs a likeable character like Tyrol, or someone you love to hate, like Tigh. I thought season 1 got better as it went along, but this seems to have gone back to early season 1, where it was just dramtically flat.

Given that this was the first episode of 1.5 or season 2 where was the dramatic hook? I really wasn't surprised to see his wife alive. I also didn't really care either.

-Chris

13. DarthPipes

Joseph was the show's moral center? If so, the writers have done a horrible job trying to portray that. I agree that his recent transformation here needed more explanation and why Vergeis is running Daniel's company is a bigger mystery.

I do think the show would benefit from a character who is actually likeable and someone you could root for. The fact that all of them are morally corrupt is lazy writing. It's the opposite of everyone being all likeable and uncorruptable.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

I went with Above Average.

Colonel Patel promised Vergis the company and the contract in "End of Line." Presumably Caprican law allows the government to step in and turn a company over to new leadership if it so deems appropriate (perhaps limited to companies related significantly to defense?).

"Unvanquished" was set three weeks after "End of Line." Considering we already knew Clarice wasn't killed in the car explosion, did we really need to have any scenes of her getting on a ship to Gemenon?

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Boring, but Meg Tilly(!)? She hasn't done a movie since 1995, wow, is she like a big fan or what?

16. cbspock

I gave the episode a "poor". Strike 1. It has two more episodes to re-engage me into the story.

-Chris

17. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

You've stated your opinion like 9 times already. We get it.

18. Ancient Mariner

&
    You both hit upon a fundamental challenge for the series going forward: It's characters. For this episode, I thought the characters were both plausible and interesting (though, Joseph is a bit weak, considering his continual flip flopping) -- and drove the story forward (instead of being morphed to fit the story). But long term, Caprica is going to need a character people can identify with in all of this. I suspect the series is going to try and make us sympathize with either Tamara or Zoe, but I'm not sure if that effort will be consistent enough.

Still, even if it wasn't the most entertaining installment ('splosions & gunfights & stuff), I thought this was one of the better episodes of the series so far. Plenty of intrigue and lots of focus on the central (moral and thematic) conflicts of the show.

19. DarthPipes

Ah. Thanks. That's one hell of a law.

Speaking of Clarice, I take it her husband Jason Street (FNL) got killed in the explosion.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's not just that, though. When we last saw her, she had absolutely jack squat. Now she apparently has the technology and know how to create her virtual world? I don't get it.

Just because there's a gap of a few weeks (a bad idea considering all of the dangling threads) doesn't mean we should be left in the dark about them.