Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joss is awesome, this movie won't be.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Right, I recall the credits, but I've never read anything specific that talked about them having the TV rights; the mentions of rights and the Kuzuis that I've seen over the past several years have always related specifically to movies. I suppose I could have inferred from that far more than I should have (and I can admit to wishful thinking too). But it's always seemed to me that what I've read says Joss himself has the tv rights, and the Kuzuis were credited because of the Buffy character herself being carried over.

Which also means anyone who would be interested to see the film should hope Warner Bros. brings in a director who is not Fran Kuzui herself, since she and Donald Sutherland were primarily responsible for butchering Whedon's original script.

I'm fairly certain the only characters they could use would be Buffy herself, and the other movie characters (Merrick, Pike, etc.). If they tried to use a developing witch named Willow Rosenberg, for example, they'd be stepping into the tv rights that I believe Joss owns.

3. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did I see some nonsense about a legion of fans anxiously awaiting this movie?

In what frakking universe?

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

As a Whedon agnostic who's never watched the show and never plans to (Gellar = fail), I've got an open mind on this. Shocking, I know. :p

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I think we're talking about two different things here. It's not about having the TV rights so much as about having the rights to things from the TV show. After all, the existing TV series couldn't have been done without the Kuzuis' nominal participation, so if they didn't have the TV rights, BTVS the series wouldn't have existed at all.

The Kuzuis don't have the rights to the characters and concepts that are specific to the BTVS television series, but I don't think that would preclude them (theoretically) from doing a TV series that was derived exclusively from the characters and concepts in the '92 movie. I.e. they couldn't do a TV series about Buffy and Willow and Xander and Giles in Sunnydale, but if they wanted to, they could do a TV series about Buffy and Pike and Merrick in Los Angeles. Or a TV series about, say, a 30-year-old Buffy relocating to New Orleans and teaming up with a Vodoun priestess and a handsome doctor. As long as it comes solely from the movie, I don't think there are any restrictions on whether it is a movie, a TV show, or whatever.

But that's a moot argument, because the project they're doing is a movie. However, if by some miracle the movie did well, they could probably do a TV series based on it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I hope you appreciate the irony in that statement.

7. PsychoPere

Christopher: Okay, now I'm on the same page. I was thinking along the wrong lines. I imagine you're right, then. I really hope they don't decide they do want to do a tv series down the road, because that I think would be even worse than a movie remake. In any event, if the movie is going to have any chance at creative success, Warner Bros. should certainly keep Fran Kuzui out of the way as much as they can.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah I believe as long as they don't touch any of the specifics from the television series they can do what they wish with the movie characters. I have my Buffy Season Eight trades and am quite enjoying the comic continuation of the series so I'll most likely ignore this. It will be interesting to follow the film's production and when it comes out the box office to see if it really makes any impact. I'm sure they will market this film as "Buffy" for a new generation. I'd be curious to hear what Sarah or even Kristy think for that matter.

9. PsychoPere

10. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

If this movie does happen, I hope it flops so hard. The studio and all the producers lose a fortune hard. Doesn't even come close to making back its budget hard. The actors involved see their careers die hard.

I hope the screenings will be greeted with protests and boycotts. I hope it is one of the lowest grossing films in history. I will have a newfound respect for America's movie going public if any or all of those things happens.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited that Joss Whedon is rebooting Batman! :D

12. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. :techman:

13. Admiral_Young

I'm with JoJo.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. I'm only partly interested because the reboot would be a movie, and that's contingent on them getting a good lead actress. But if it were a TV series reboot, I'd be just as uninterested as I am in the existing show: I've got no desire to take on a huge, multiseason series about a "vampire slayer", but I might give a single movie a Netflix if the critics like it.

15. Admiral_Young

We were discussing in the first thread about this that it was reported that Vanessa Hudgens had passed on a role claiming that she didn't want to be associated with any "Twilight" stuff. A few of us were speculating on what role (if it wasn't Buffy herself) that she passed on. Nothing I believe was ever followed up on that.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

:mallory::lol:

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Same here. Have zero interest in seeing the new film.

Found this on twitter (thanks to Crusher Disciple):-
    Quite true.

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I'll wait till it comes out and see what it's like. Never saw the film, never saw the TV series, so I'll be a virgin.

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    You know even though I LOATHE Twilight, I'd love it if in three years some upstart producers re-imagined it with actors five years younger than is appropriate and set it in a completely different setting. By then all the Twihards would be in their early twenties(and people in their early twenties HATE young teens)and THEY would know how this feels!

I'd never go see it, of course, but I'd LOVE if this were to happen!

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen bits and bobs of the TV series, if this looks good I'll go and see it, if not, I'll not. It's a bit of fluff not a plan to build a death camp to gas children in.