Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I'm not exactly against the idea of a reboot... It's just that what made Buffy work was more then just a girl slaying vampires and being "witty, tough and sexy". There was some actually decent characterisation and development that went along with all that. Not to mention that one of the most enjoyable aspects of the show was the scoobie gang (Giles included).

I have this cynical feeling that the only reason it's being made is to cash in on the slew of Vampire related shows/movies.

I won't say it'll be terrible, but to be honest I can't see it being all that good.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

If this were in 10 years time (at least), it would still probably be shite, but at least I could kind of understand.
    But remaking it now, euurgghh.

Can't they at least wait 5 years or so and have Chloƫ Moretz as Buffy? :)

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the majority of fans are against Joss not being involved in his own creation sans not having the rights. As Christopher so rightly stated on the first page this is a cash grab and people trying to cash in on the vampire craze. I also think that there is a fear that they are going to "Twilight" "Buffy" up.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's true, but at least they avoided that with Let Me In. The studio wanted to age the kids up from Let The Right One In so they're teenagers (obviously to cash in on Twilight crap) but thank fuck Matt Reeves convinced them otherwise

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The one thing that I think we can be thankful for here is that I believe the Kuzuis only own the rights to the Buffy character in relation to movies. So they can produce as many crappy movies as they want using the character (though without Joss, there's no way it would "really" be Buffy), but at least they can't screw up a new television series too.

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to read this thread in detail, but this is complete surprise and a total waste. Unless there is some sort of adaption of the Season 8 comic or a Faith based movie, this is completely unnecessary. Why do they bother?

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's completely different.

Seaquest 3032 was a continuation, they still had the same characters, the story just took place 15 years later (or whatever it was).

8. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I so thoroughly enjoy the Whedon Buffyverse that there is no way I could even begin to consider a reboot.
    I saw the Swanson flick first. I was appalled.
    I refused to watch the tv show that was based on such a pile of crap movie.
    Then I saw an interview with Armin Shimmerman on how he was losing two jobs at once (his character's run was ending on both Buffy and DS9 at the same time) and the clips adjoining the interview persuaded me to try out BTVS. I was hooked from then on!
    So, as for me and my house, No Whedonverse, No BTVS!!
    Choke on it, Hollyweird Twilight ripoff artists!!! Jus' sayin'!

9. Admiral_Young

It's actually "Seaquest 2032" not 3023. Also it simply renamed it's show not rebooted it. Like "Enterprise" finally became "Star Trek: Enterprise" in season three or whatever it was. This is just a movie being remade, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a reboot or re imagining.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how "Twilight" they could go without stepping on what Whedon did in the series. Would they have to keep it pretty distinct to avoid being on the way to a lawsuit?

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Wizard of Oz is over 70 years old. They can pretty much do whatever they want with a remake, and people can feel free to view it as a different product.

Buffy just ended 7 years ago. Any new product with the same title will obviously feel tied to that show. I'd be fine with somebody rebooting Buffy eventually, but it's silly to do it now.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Kuzuis were credited as executive producers on the TV series as well (both Buffy and Angel), so I think that means they do have the TV rights.

As long as they don't use the actual character names or exact plot beats, it's not plagiarism to tell the same general type of story. I mean, it's not as if Twilight was the first story about vampiric romance, or even the only one currently in production.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I was thinking that they have the rights to remake the movie not the series BTVS, and BTVS the series focuses a lot on a brooding romance with a vampire. It seems to me if you start going down that route Whedon might have a case that they're infringing on the series.

Oh yeah, and instead of a reboot shouldn't this be considered a revamp? :cool:

14. Admiral_Young

I thought Joss owned the television rights? I also think he explained the whole rights issue on one of the audio commentary tracks for Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's not like the existence of a Buffy movie is going to cause our DVDs to vanish. Believe me, we've already tested that one. :lol:

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No, but it's just silly. Buffy is already a very popular series and hasn't been off the air very long. Why not try to cash in on that by finding a way to continue the story instead of rebooting it?

17. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I just hope the reboot isn't as bad as the 1992 "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie staring Kristy Swanson.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You can't copyright a general type of storyline. What their lack of rights means is that they can't use specific characters and events created for the TV series. They can use Buffy, Pike, Merrick, or any of the characters from the original film, but they can't use Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Spike, Faith, Riley, or any of the characters from the series. They can't use Sunnydale, the Hellmouth, the Bronze, the Initiative, or other locations or institutions specific to the series.

Now, if they tried to tell a story where Buffy got involved with a reformed vampire named, ohh, Gabriel who lost his soul and became evil when they slept together, then yes, that would be infringement, because it would be the same recognizable story. But human-vampire romance in general is not specific enough to copyright. If it were, then Whedon would've already sued Stephenie Meyer and won -- or, heck, Anne Rice would've sued Whedon and won.

Because the people doing this are the Kuzuis, who had no involvement with the series beyond getting paid for the rights to the concept. They'd probably rather develop the property on their own than go back to deferring to Joss Whedon. I don't think Whedon and the Kuzuis really see eye-to-eye. After all, Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the '92 film, and we all know that film went in a radically different direction from what Whedon wanted.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

He may be the only person in that business who's both truly clever and has a decent perspective on the silliness of how he makes his living.

:guffaw: