BSG ratings rock!

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Temis the Vorta, Feb 5, 2009.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

And neither of those pay the bills (i.e. advertisers HATE both of them). Seeing that a show is often downloaded off the internet or is DVRed typically makes marketers look at other time periods and ignore that as a possible choice for ad buys.

2. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you ever heard of people who BitTorrent shows and buy the actual product afterwards? :shifty:
    Shocking! I'm telling you! Shocking! :wtf:

;)

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually we can't even really compare it to other BSG performances as it uses Live Plus 7 day results. With the DVR market up to over 22% saturation this year. # years ago when BSG season 2 aired (God I think, stupid delaying ass scifi) that percentage was less then 5%.

THe closest thing you can compare on the network front is the CW network. And their shows audience can be anywhere between 25-40% DVR.

And no 2 million with DVR results isn't good for basic cable. That's not even in the top 20.

Kyle XY is getting cancelled for having live same day results of 1.5 plus million.

Of course some cable outlets have piss poor ratings. Thats why shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are considered successful (they far outscore other shows on the same cable station).

To truly judge nBSG we would need to see how all of scifi does (including DVR results).

But we do know that reruns of other tv shows and films have nearly tied its live ratings.

Of course, it wont effect the outcome of the show. But those results are what is causing the show to end during its 4th season (and that does piss me off) as I think that quality wise the show could have gone on easily another full season (if not more).

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One wonders, of course, what kind of ratings a "Star Trek" series would be managing to pull on basic cable now... :lol:

Uh...why?

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

If they're worth rewatching, I buy the shows and movies I like on DVD regardless of how I originally saw them.

Haven't bought any BSG yet, but not because I've occasionally downloaded an episode I missed; merely because it doesn't seem like that rewatchable a series.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Easier to burn DVDs. So I hear.

7. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

ratings were never relevant to BSG's fate. The whole ratings obsession is just weird :vulcan:

8. Roshi

Because not everybody lives in the States... ;)

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ratings are interesting as pointers to political sentiments in the population. It's like tracking the number of Fox viewers versus CBS viewers.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, but if you already have it why buy it?

11. Roshi

^Easy: Subtitles! Most of the times, actors are mumbling their words (Baltar for instance) and honesty. Even though dling ist verboten here it's less frown upon if you have a legal copy.

12. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

The newest episode is the #8 show on iTunes this morning. That's $3 they don't get from a BitTorrent pirate.

EDIT: Now it's #1 on iTunes. Not only does this ranking show how completely different online viewership is from offline, but BSG is also the top download of online viewers who are willing to pay.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's also the only show that sci-fi has that is at all well regarded.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people like to reward shows that they love as a way of getting studios to produce more shows of that nature. Plus, the picture quality on DVDs is much better than a typical torrent... or so I'm told. :)

15. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's not ...

... says one owner of all BSG DVD sets released in R2 so far. :)

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I didn't watch many season 3 episodes, so I think a like me, a lot of the show's detractors basically deserted it. What's left is a lot apologists for the direction the show took. I vowed to give the final season (half season) a go though, and its still worth a look, even if only for the occasional bright spot and to see some loose ends tied up. I doubt the ratings will really recover though.

RAMA

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given that, and the generally abysmal SciFi ratings, getting anything near last season's numbers is a win.

Also, we have no idea what BSG (or Caprica) costs to make. Without that number, we can't interpret what ratings actually mean for the ongoing survival of the show or future shows.
    They still have the "real" numbers (the Nielsons - sorry folks, those are the only real numbers) to look at. I doubt marketers gvie a shit about bitorrent numbers either for good or ill. It's just an indicator that a show is popular, and means nothing in business terms. And DVR numbers are worth something, because some DVR users watch ads, strange but true. Also, for shows that are based in the real life modern world, DVR numbers can be worth something for product placement value.

They can't be horrible, or the show will get cancelled. As long as they are reasonable, they don't need to rock the house. The show stays alive, Caprica has a shot and we can watch something decent on Skiffy and not idiotic monster movies and comical "reality" shows about ghosts. :rommie:
    I wouldn't put much hope on that as a significant factor. The way BSG has stayed alive and Caprica will hopefully stay alive is by going well enough among US-based Nielson households to pay the bills - which means the other part of the equation, keeping costs down, is just as important as those Nielsons.

18. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't both Time and Rolling Stone call it the best show on tv (and this back when The Sopranos and The Wire were still in production)? Or was that Scare Tactics?

19. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

I do. I own all of the DVD sets, yet I pirated most of season 3 (watch it on a DVR now). I don't see why that's supposed to be so odd... I enjoy the show a great deal and as such, I use my wallet to give them my support. DVD sales actually mean something to those in charge of shows, after all.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

They did indeed.