Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

For the record, Jesse didn't say he was going to attack Walt's "other home". He said he was going to attack him where he "really lives". That is a metaphor for what is really important to Walt. I think we know that the thing that is important to Walt is his family, at least I think that's what is still most important to him.

But Jesse told this to Hank so whatever the plan is, seems to me, it would have to involve getting tangible evidence (physical evidence, witness statements, confessions, etc.) against Walt. I can't see how telling Junior about Walt's crimes is going to result in any tangible evidence against Walt. Jesse could do it as a revenge thing, but again, how would that yield any evidence?

Perhaps Jesse will use telling Jr. as a threat, which might get to Skylar as well as Walt. I don't think Jesse is aware of Skylar's involvement. But how would this course of action sit with Hank? Junior is his nephew and he loves the kid. Would Hank even allow him to be involved in the plot to get his father? Hard for me to see Hank going for this. And don't let Marie find out.

Jesse has already made an attack on Walt's personal life. Dragging Walt Jr. in would seem like they'd be going to the same "well" twice, something this show wouldn't do (I don't think), even though things seem to be pointing us in this direction.

Said all that to say that I'm just not sure of where this thing is going.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, it was very odd. He admitted to murder without a deal? I know he's super pissed but still it's very odd.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a feeling they'll flash back to that pivotal scene. I hope so, anyway. I know that a lot of criticism was that this episode wasn't as intense, but frankly I'm glad I could hear most everyone - these last few episodes have had a lot of murmuring and mumbling and I've had to crank the TV to the max to make some of it out.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was actually kind of bummed we didn't get to see Jesse detail more of the story. Even if we already know it, I would have loved to have seen Hank and Gomez's reaction to just how crazy and insane things really got at times.

Particularly the shooting of the Drew Sharp kid, which they probably never would have suspected beforehand was tied to Walt.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We in the audience may think that, but does Jesse? Walt always kept Jesse away from his family life, he didn't even tell him that he was cooking meth to make money for his family, Jesse had to figure that out on his own. What Jesse knows is Walt's business dealings. Jesse sees Walt as a meth kingpin, not a father. Walt's "in the empire business." That's where Walt really lives from Jesse's perspective.

I'll bet whatever Jesse is planning involves Lydia and Todd. I have no idea what he's planning to do with them, but we're halfway through these final episode and they haven't come into play yet, something is clearly about to happen with them.

6. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The final episodes are thrilling.Such a shame the runners behind Dexter couldn't wrap up their show in the same way as BR.

7. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Luckily for Jesse, New Mexico abolished the death penalty a couple of years ago. ;)

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You see, burning his house down WAS Jesse's attempt to involve Walt's family. Involving Walt's family is not his next play, because he refers to it as where he "Really Lives". Besides, Hank would never go along with anything that involved Walt's family, if he's to be involved in the next play

The most important thing to Walt is to control everything. I think Jesse will take that away from him, which is really going to set this things off

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the most notable aspects of the episode were 1) Walt having the bravery to confront Jesse, even in a public place 2)Hank shouting out that Walt cares about Jesse and 3)Hank shouting out that Jesse was a junkie and a murderer, in that order.

Sorry, but Walt growing testicles that work when he isn't desperate isn't quite convincing.

Hank perceiving Walt's twisted love for his surrogate son through Jesse's hysterical confession comes from the script rather any plausible analysis or deductive process. The strongest piece of evidence, Walt's vehicular homicide, is trumped by the way Jesse was an absolutely essential ally against Fring.

Hank despising a junkie more than a murderer, while ignoring the shocking way that Jessie simply confessed (really, how often does that happen?) shows the writers have decided that, as Gomez shouted out, Hank is driven by a grudge, not moral outrage. Part of glorifying the hero is demeaning the other protagonists.

The tarantula jar is an obvious starting point to find validating evidence for the confession. In fact, the camera lingering on it set it up as a major plot device. So, like Jesse's impossible freedom, we have the script unartfully contriving a way for the final confrontation to be limited to the desired characters. There's nothing so obvious about Lydia, but the decree that she won't be a suitable starting point is nearly as arbitrary. The Aryan Nation is also a bunch of starting points, a lot of those guys are in prison, open to all sorts of carrots and sticks.

Jesse may think that if he takes out Todd the right way, he'll get Lydia determined to force Walt into cooking again, that is, providing fresh new possibilities of material evidence.

Jesse palming the memory card doesn't fit his emotional state, and really portrays Hanks as a giant tool. Unfortunately it's possible that's the plan, since the plotting is falling to pieces.

10. Mojochi

and I just figured out Jesse's play. He'll do the one thing no one expects him to do. He'll go back in the meth business. Todd, his uncle, & Lydia will jump at the opportunity to have him back in lieu of Heisenberg himself, and so will Hank & the DEA. Take down Heisenberg's whole network. Send them all to prison, including Saul's gang. That's how you get to the top of the food chain

It might even give us one last glorious shot at a dazzling meth cook sequence. This will hit Walt where he truly lives, and kick start the final blowout

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Agreed. I was bothered by the fact they decided to do a wiretap that they should've known that can't even use in court because they don't have a warrant for it.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

No chance in hell.. Hank would never go for it.

As crude and off the record as Hank can be at times he would never willingly participate in illegal activities. He knows he might have a chance to save his career by playing the right move.. being accessory to a drug business isn't one of them.

Also building up a competing drug business would just take to much time and we only have four episodes left so i just don't see the writers cooking up this storyline in 2 episodes. It will be something very devious and/or violent.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

What? We need warrants? Silly Europeans still think we need warrants in the USA in 2013. Warrants are so last century. :p

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Jesse doesn't need to build up a full-on competing meth business. He just needs to let Lydia think he's on board enough to talk about it on tape.

I know you need a warrant to bug someone's home, but do you need one to record someone talking in a public place?

15. Mojochi

You got me all wrong. He will go back to the Heisenberg people, Todd, his uncle, & Lydia. They've been struggling & probably will continue to do so without Walt, who's too hot now to go back anyway. They'll jump at the chance to have the guy Fring sent as a meth cook educator to the Mexican cartel. Jesse is the next best thing to having Walt come back. He's #2 on the Heisenberg Tree

Hank & Gomez will agree because it's a sting. Everybody will go to prison. It might not save Hank's career at this point, but it will put an end to the Heisenberg Syndicate if Jesse is a mole. Once the cops got all those people, maybe even Saul & his crew, Walt will be doomed & have nobody to turn to. One of them will roll over on him. I'm betting Lydia

You take down the network, then you get Bin Laden. Jesse will destroy Walt from the bottom up, & that's why he's destitute, haggard & desperate in the flash forward. He's been on the run. He's the last link. He's Saddam Hussein, & they're closing in

My guess is that the machine gun in Walt's car is for a potential shootout with the cops & the ricin is in case it looks like he'll be taken alive... as in... for himself

16. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The writes have gone out of their way to show us that Walt cares about Jesse -- in a twisted way, but "cares" for him nonetheless. So it isn't just something Hank has mistakenly perceived. It is real, at least according to what we have seen presented on screen.
    But how is Jesse's going back into the meth business, alone, going to result in any tangible evidence against Walt, who is essentially out of the meth business? Also, how would it "take down Hisenberg's whole network" and "send them all to prison"?

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's pretty obvious to anyone given the facts that Walt cares about Jesse. Walt did not need Jesse as an ally against Fring because before he hit those drug dealers with the car, Fring was not his enemy.

Jesse's not interested in bringing down the whole drug network. All he needs to do is get Lydia, then use the fact that she's a coward to make her testify.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, cool. Just heard on the podcast that they actually did record Jesse's full confession to Hank, and it's going to be an extra on the blu-ray later on. Guess they must have decided at the last minute not to show it in the episode (or maybe they still intend to show portions later on for the DEA or something).

19. Mojochi

Multiple testimonies to the fact that Walt is the ring leader. I would think there has to be some kind of tangible link with Lydia who is the source of all that money.

Walt may not be making meth at the moment, but he's still very much involved with the players, especially now that he's back in touch with Todd

I haven't sorted out all the details myself even. It's really just a theory, but my instincts tell me this is Jesse's move. Get back in long enough to implicate everyone in the Heisenberg syndicate, including Walt somehow. I could be totally off though

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, we know that. Hank's not going to know that, he hasn't been watching the series with us. It's not the worst implausibility they've lapsed into, but it is one.

Fring knew Walt was a maniac. Heisenberg as a cog wasn't going to happen. Also, Walt's feelings are real, but mixed. He's never kept Jesse around just because.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013