"Bread and Circuses" Line-by-Line!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CoveTom, May 26, 2011.

1. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

CLAUDIUS: Guards, take them. Prepare them for the games.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

MERIK: Ah, that was stupid, Jim. This is not an Academy training test, this is for real. They're taking you to die.

3. Admiral Shran

[Bridge]

SCOTT: Ship's log, stardate 4041.2. Chief Engineer Scott recording. Captain Kirk and his landing party have checked in but they have used the code term Condition Green, which means they're in trouble. But it also prohibits my taking any action. (ends log entry) Mister Chekov, pinpoint power source locations. Type, power, load factors, and how much our beams will have to pull to overload them.

4. Captain Robert April

CHEKOV: That might take some time.

5. Admiral Shran

SCOTT: Let it take time, lad. They're in trouble, and I'm under orders not to interfere. However, no order can stop me from frightening them. It may do no good, but it may suggest to someone just what a starship can really do. Aye.

6. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Arena]

(Actually, a painted backdrop in the Empire TV television studio. The commentator sits on scaffolding next to a camera operator.)

ANNOUNCER: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Live and direct from City Arena, and in color, we bring you Name the Winner, brought to you tonight by your Jupiter Eight dealers from coast to coast. In just a moment, tonight's first heat. We're in a taped commercial, Proconsul. Forty seconds, then we'll be back live.

(Claudius, Merik and Kirk take seats on a raised platform. Kirk is manacled, and there are two armed guards behind him. Spock and McCoy are brought out by two guards in full traditional dress.)

ANNOUNCER: Stand by. Ten seconds. And first tonight, ladies and gentlemen, a surprise extra. In the far corner, a pair of highly aggressive barbarians. Strong, intelligent, with strange ways, and I'm sure full of a lot of surprises. And facing them, two favorites here from previous encounters, Achilles and Flavius. (The canned applause is turned up by a bored sound effects man) Victory or death? And for which of them? Well, ladies and gentlemen, you know as much about that at this moment as I do because this is your program. You name the winner.

7. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

FLAVIUS: I don't mind fighting, but why you?

8. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

VOICE [OC]: Begin!

(Achilles takes on Spock. They are well matched. McCoy is against Flavius, and doesn't know what to do with a short sword.)

9. Enterprise1981

ANNOUNCER: Flavius may be getting off to a slow start, but he's never disappointed this crowd. A close one. The barbarian with the pointed ears seems to be in trouble.

10. Admiral Shran

SPOCK: I tell you I'm well able to defeat you.

11. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

ACHILLES: Fight, barbarian!

12. Admiral Shran

MERIK: Most of my men went the same way. I hoped I would feel it less with yours.

13. Captain Robert April

SPOCK: I do not want to injure you.

14. Admiral Shran

(The cat-calls and hisses are amplified. Flavius gets a taste of the whip.)

MASTER: Fight, you two. You bring this network's ratings down, Flavius, and we'll do a special on you.

(McCoy puts more effort into it.)

15. Captain Robert April

CLAUDIUS: Question, Captain?

16. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KIRK: The rules. If Spock should finish his man off first, would he be able to help -

17. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Claudius: We believe men should fight their own battles. Only the weak will die. My word as a Roman. Ready to order your men down, Captain?

18. Admiral Shran

MERIK: Maybe now you understand why I gave in. The Romans have always been the strongest, and they've had practice for over two thousand years in enslaving men, using them, killing them.

19. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CLAUDIUS: Quite true, Captain Kirk. The games have always strengthened us. Death becomes a familiar pattern. We don't fear it as you do.

20. Enterprise1981

(Flavius gets whipped again)

FLAVIUS: At least defend yourself.