Booster Gold (SyFy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that sounds interesting!

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Booster's origin has been retconned a couple of times, it should be added that he decided to be a hero in the first place because he injured his knee badly IRRC as a major football star and wanted to be a hero to recapture the glory he had a star athlete.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it wasn't in the books. He was much better with a light comic touch, when he wasn't smart enough to REALLY get away with abusing the hero game--and he was also a good enough guy that actually wanted to be a hero. He was also in it for the credit.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

This could be a lot of fun if done right. It's also the first thing that's made me want to watch SyFy since they lost Doctor Who to BBC America.

Off-topic, I really love your avatar, Admiral_Young. Is there a hi-res version of that poster?

5. Temis the Vorta

SyFy's already got too many light comic shows. They should take a page from the rest of cable and not be afraid to build a series around a potentially off-putting anti-hero.

But of course, they'll just do what they're used to doing.

6. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

But his first origin story dealt with he was a football QB that was caught betting on his own games and ended up in trouble from the law. The only job he could get was a janitorial job at an scientific museum, where he got all his the tools he needed for hi idea to become a "hero".

7. Admiral_Young

^ Indeed. That really hasn't changed...he stole his gear including a Legion ring that he used (still does I believe) to fly.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, that's not BOOSTER GOLD. He's been written with a light, comic touch for decades.

There's no doubt room for a scifi version of DEXTER, but doing a dark and serious version of BOOSTER GOLD would be like doing a grim and gritty version of SHAZAM . . . or turning MONK into a troubled anti-hero. The humor is kind of built into their DNA.

BOOSTER could actually be a good fit with Syfy's current lineup . . . although I still want that WH13 spinoff with H. G. Wells.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that's complete bullshit.

(That it happened, not that you say it happened.)

Besides before the new 52 I'm sure Giffen and Jurgens either had no idea about the retcon on their work, or chose to unrewrite history.

Or are you talking about the new 52?

Tiger Woods or OJ seem like real life Allegories for Booster,. that they would want a Time Machine to unshit their careers.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I mean, what's up with the light comic shows like Stargate Universe, or Caprica, or BSG? I mean, COME ON, give me some serious DRAMA already...

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't they just fire him after the second season and then dumb the premise down so the "sci fi geeks" could understand it, and then play the dumbed down version for three more seasons?

13. Temis the Vorta

If any of those are still airing, then I am going to be very very angry nobody told me about it because I was under the definite impression they'd all been cancelled. :rommie:

But Stargate has never been anything more than lightweight until SGU when it just became unwatchable.

At this point, I'd even watch that. But Kevin Sorbo is a deal-killer.

14. Professor Zoom

There might be a reason why they aren't airing. And why Sci Fi does light comic action shows. Because people watch them.

And no one watched SGU either.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

“Dancing girls in every episode!” Dan Jurgens on a Possible BOOSTER GOLD TV Series [Exclusive!]

There more in the interview...be sure to read it all. :bolian:

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The original Booster Gold concept lends itself very well to adaptation to the screen. Now that Chuck is coming to an end, Ryan McPartlin would be perfect to play Booster.

17. Admiral_Young

^ He would be great. So who Ben Browder as Temis I believe suggested. There are all kinds of fun directions they could go with this show.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ohmigod. You're right. He would be perfect.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Honestly, I couldn't be happier if they did keep doing stuff like Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Sanctuary. Those are three of my absolute favorite, and as interesting as dramatic stuff like BSG, or The Walking Dead can be, I still by far prefer fun stuff to dramatic stuff. I still don't understand why people seem to have such a problem with light comedic stuff, not everything needs to be a deep dramatic show, sometimes stuff can just be entertaining. Now, that's not to say that I don't enjoy deep dramatic stuff, because I really do, (I'm going crazy not being to watch Game of Thrones,) but sometimes it can be nice to watch something that actually makes you feel good, instead of depressed.

20. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Eric Martsolf nailed Booster Gold in that Smallville episode. They should get him for this if it ever happens.