"Blood & Chrome" to move forward

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by PsychoPere, Oct 22, 2010.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but this idea that there's a 'second' William Adama out there is ludicrous and, quite frankly, has absolutely no basis in anything. It's people talking out of their butts (I'd like to use a different word, but can't without getting censored).

Here's a timeline of Adama's life (by age) according to everything we currently know:
    69 BCH (before Cylon Holocaust) - Born to Joseph and Shannon Adama
    58 BCH - Is 11 when his mother and sister Tamara are killed
    52 BCH - Is 17 (and still in school) when the first Cylon War starts
    42 BCH - Is 27 when he graduates from the military academy
    40 BCH - Is 29 during the events of Operation Raptor Talon
    28 BCH - Is 41 when he meets Saul Tigh
    27 BCH - Is 42 when he meets and marries Carolanne Adama
    26 BCH - Is 43 when he and Carolanne have Lee
    24 BCH - Is 45 when he and Carolanne have Zak
    23 BCH - Is 46 when he is re-instated to the Colonial military
    0 BCH - Is 69 when the Cylons attack the Colonies and start the Second Cylon War
    4 ACH (after Cylon Holocaust) - Is 73 when Galactica, her fleet, and the Cylons find the second Earth

Applying 'real-world' standards to the BSG universe really isn't something that can - or should - be done, given that we're dealing with a universe where we have humans who possessed technology that is even more advanced than that which we - as a society - currently possess, whose ancestors lived with and communicated directly with Gods, and who colonized this planet in the far-distant past. We have absolutely no way of knowing what the average 'life expectancy' was for the Colonials, so we really have no right to say whether or not Adama is 'too old' at certain critical junctures in his life.

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I don't buy that; Lee seems a lot older, and besides Jamie Bamber was 31 during the Mini Series.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adama was 27 when he graduated from the academy? Bit old, don't you think?

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the guy tried way too hard. They'll hire someone else.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're applying 'real world' standards to the BSG universe, yes, that seems a bit old. However, as I noted, applying real-world standards to BSG really isn't the most logical thing to do given the nature of said universe, and given that we don't know how long the average 'lilfe expectancy' for the Colonials is.

Candlefright, the timeline statistics I utilized come directly from the Battlestar Wiki, which is the foremost online authority on the franchise (in all its iterations), so I trust said statistics. Re: Jamie Bamber's age, it is really not uncommon for actors to play characters who are younger than they are. A good case in point would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Of that series' original cast, particularly the actors cast to play Buffy and her classmates, none of said actors were the age their characters were supposed to be when they were initially cast. SMG was 20; Nicholas Brendan was 26; Charisma Carpenter was 27; and Alyson Hannigan was 23.

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And risk fan backlash after the clusterfuck that was Caprica? I doubt it. They'll get him to tone down the EJO impression, which they probably decided to play up in Razor because he was only onscreen for 5 minutes max, which isn't a lot of time to establish that the guy we're seeing is in fact the younger version of Adama (although beating that Centurion to death helped).

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Makes sense, though. Humans in the nuBSG universe are almost exactly like us anyway. So it would make sense to apply the same standards.

Life expectancy? What difference does that make? That only applies to how long an officer might expect to last in the fleet (barring accidents). Starting age is the same in all.

:lol: A site that anyone can edit, can hardly be considered authoritative.

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I was quoting BSG Wiki too! What the hell was I reading?!?

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Only thing I can see to explain that is Bill being part of another branch of the military, then transferring over to the academy. In Tigh's original backstory (now discounted) he was a deckhand who was tranfered to fighter pilot.

10. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

He only really did the gravely voice thing while he was in the cockpit, didn't he? I'm pretty sure he was speaking normally when he was talking to Dr. Cavanough in the jail cell, and when he radioed Galactica after the Guardian Basestar took off, and he was definitely speaking in his normal tone in the cut flashback scenes of him on Galactica before the battle.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't that come from Adama's call sign being "husker" becasue of his gravelly voice?

12. pst

pst Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

despite my saying that his acting was not good in razor, i'm all for his being cast in blood & chrome. i'm sure he could pull back the EJO impression a little and deliver a fine performance. or not, who knows? either way, i think he should continue to play young adama.

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he enlisted and went through OCS to become an officer later.

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Nico Cortez = Young Adama.

He did a great job in Razor. Frankly, the EJO mimic in the cockpit gave me chills. It was also what he was directed to do.

That said, he's available. His resume is not that extensive. He's not got Hollywood beating down his door. SyFy could get him as their series lead for peanuts, money wise, and if they're not 100% confident in his acting ability, hire him a coach.

Casting anyone else would be just plain frakking stupid. Christs sakes, they made an action figure of the guy as Young Adama already.

Only thing about B&C I'm not keen on is seeing those old-style BSG uniforms. Yuck! Hopefully they gloss over that smidge, and give us some retro-looking nBSG uniforms instead.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I thought the old-style uniforms actually worked well in the Razor flashbacks. Of course, they did have retro-looking NuBSG uniforms in the Caprica pilot, so anything's possible in B&C.

16. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

<< wants more news on B&C

17. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    ^

I've heard, from various sources, that in the new series we'll see:

Lots of chrome ... and some blood. :D

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, Frontier, but production on the pilot won't start until "early 2011," so we are all just going to have to be patient, as hard as that may be. ;)

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The issue is that the in universe ages of Lee and Bill don't line up for when they graduate. You have Bill graduating the academy at 27, while Lee is a Captain at 26.

You can't argue that in the BSG universe people graduate from the academy at 27, and then have Lee being a captain at a younger age. The simpler explanation is that Bill did something else with his life between HS and the academy. That explains why he is older than average for a fresh graduate.

20. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the "stopped aging for ten years" explanations best. Cryonic freezing, freak FTL accident, something like that.