"Blood & Chrome" to move forward

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by PsychoPere, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Blood and Chrome is already going to be saving some coin with those digital sets. I just hope they look nice. Its ratings should be at least slightly higher, but slightly isn't what the network is looking for. Just putting Battlestar Galactica before the 'subtitle' of Blood and Chrome should help, though. It might pull some people in again who feel like Caprica is too different an animal.

And yeah, already been said, but they don't burn much money on those movies.

2. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    Caprica was always going to be a risk, given how different its premise and stated objectives were. Even so, its problem has always been execution. To be fair, the world-building of the series has been excellent. But from the timing of the Pilot DVD to the actual premiere, to the split-season, to the writing and the detestable characters, the series hasn't exactly inspired its audience. The B&C series is a much safer bet, being closer what the BSG audience is familiar with. Hopefully it'll be better executed than Caprica.

3. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I don't mind that Caprica tries to be different. However, I do mind the annoyingly incoherent story arcs and characters. Sure, that's something BSG suffered from as well sometimes... just not to that extent (in part, I'm attributing it to the fact that Caprica switched its showrunner two or three times during its first eleven episodes). In addition, BSG had the spaceflight element which made up for some of those weaknesses. :p

4. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He might have taken the identity of a real person who was killed during the cylon war.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

This sounds cool, and I'll definately be checking it out. But, at what point do they go a prequel too far? Don't mind me, I'm just unnecessarily cynical. Still, something sci-fi to watch that's spaceships and robots fighting? I'm there.

6. Jeff O'Connor

Anything beyond the First Cylon War, I'd say.

7. The Wormhole

Beyond the Cylon War? But think of the rich storytelling possibilities:

-Adama and Tigh's life on a freighter.
    -Tigh's despressed life in the Caprican slums sleeping with a different hooker each night.
    -Tom Zarek's revolution.
    -University drama between Lee and Zak Adama and Kara Thrace.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. Iconian

Iconian Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think this is the spin-off we've been waiting for. I'm crossing my fingers here.

9. Jeff O'Connor

Next Summer, the CW is heating up with the story of three young lovers seeking wings to fly with...

Vipers.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

So will the commercial for Blood and Chrome end with a shot of Dirk Benedict this time? :)

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wanted to expand on my earlier comments re: Adama. Both "Hero" and "Razor" establish that he only saw his first taste of actual combat action - as a Viper pilot - in the final battle of the war; Blood and Chrome is supposed to be set during the 10th year of the war (2 years before the flashbacks in "Razor"), and since Adama is supposed to be a main character in B&C, it appears, on the surface, as if the PTBs are going to have to do a lot of rewriting/retconning unless they don't plan on having Adama do a heck of a lot of fighting against actual Cylon Centurions without completely invalidating most of the Razor flashbacks. They might have some 'wiggle room' with regards to the Razor flashbacks and Adama's involvement in B&C if they make it clelar that none of his actions during the time period that B&C encompasses are actually recorded in his service record, but, otherwise, they really risk invalidating most of what they said about Adama's war service record in "Razor" and "Hero".

12. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm totally excited about this news...however, I'd still be curious about a Kobol War series. Who were the Gods that lived among men?

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have the inside scoop on their balance sheets, but I have the sickening feeling that they've been doing very well with cheap, dumbass Saturaday night monster shows; treacly scifi-lite series represented by Eureka/Warehouse 13/Haven (all of which I find unwatchable); stupid ghost-hunting "reality" shows; and wrestling.

All those are cheap to make, have a built-in audience, or both. Which makes me wonder why they'd bother adding shows to the mix that are challenging, take risks and stand a serious chance of failure? Why not just stick to the stupid, easy money instead?

I wanna see a young Saul Tigh. They can devise some excuse. This is sci fi, gods dammit! :p The Cylon backstory so strained and convoluted and more convolutions will do no particular harm. (And a young Tigh might explain the absurdity that he could have a long military career as an old fart who never ages - maybe that was a different guy whose identity he somehow appropriated, or he devised a way of inhabiting a cloned body that did age, or whatever the frak they want to come up with.)

...but I also kinda like the above suggestion about Tom Zarek's revolutionary days.

Solution: they should completely invalidate the Razon flashbacks, then. I'm not sold on that version of the story, so why allow that to be an impediment?

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm fine with them invalidating the Razor Flashbacks. I know the series bible said that Adama saw action in the final year of the war but I refuse to believe his war action was just one lone battle at the very end.

In the Razor movie, they don't even show the initial two or three webisodes establishing this as his first real action. I know during the deleted Adama/Tigh flashback scenes in Season 2, Adama tells him about battle that got 2,000 members of the Galactica crew killed.

I do wonder if there's a big enough audience left for this though. After the Season 2 premeire, the BSG ratings dropped dramatically and never rose beyond those numbers. Except maybe the season finale.

15. The Wormhole

I agree, I wasn't too wild about the Razor flashbacks making that Adama's first mission. Nothing will have been lost if he were already serving for a couple of years prior. Hell, I suppose if you wanted to you could just say the Razor flashback was his first major battle, all his previous combat experience was one-on-one skirmishes against Cylon Raiders, or whatever the mission in Blood and Chrome is supposed to be.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

This certainly sounds more accessible than CAPRICA, as much as I've enjoyed that series (more or less). I like the idea of folding the best parts of CAPRICA into this new spin-off, and hope the writers can do that, if those elements fit into this story. Sam and Joseph Adama, in particular, could fit in as recurring characters on a Bill Adama-centered series. Just age the actors with make-up and you're good to go.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't figure out why Sam and Joseph Adama are even in Caprica! Why would they need to be in B&C? :rommie:

Daniel and Zoe are the obvious ones to bring over, since they have the strongest connection to the Cylon story.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Because the father/son relationship between Joseph and William Adama is an important part of his character, and could easily be a prominent element of a series covering Bill's life as a young man. And why Sam? Because I like the actor, and the character, so why not? BSG indicated that Sam became a farmer (this may have been a lie).

As for the Cylon side of the story, whether Daniel or Zoe might be important depends on whether or not the Cylons are significantly developed characters, or just antagonists who are mostly off-screen.

19. The Wormhole

Is that the uncle Bill referanced when he told that story about the three foxes? Could it be possible that he was an uncle on his mother's side? I'm not following Caprica, so forgive me if it's been established Bill Adama's mother was an only child.

I like the theory that Daniel becomes the Hybrid in Razor.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Since Joseph Adama's mother-in-law still lives with him and his son, I assume there aren't any other outstanding relatives. That they didn't pop up (nor were they mentioned) at the funeral for Tamara and Shannon also implies that what we've seen on screen is it when it comes to the Adama family.

Of course, Bill Adama's uncle could also refer to Sam's husband, Larry, who we haven't learned much about since his first appearance.