"Blood & Chrome" to move forward

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by PsychoPere, Oct 22, 2010.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

The proposed Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome web series has been bumped from the internet to a full-blown, two-hour backdoor pilot, similar to the BSG miniseries and the Caprica pilot. Syfy plans for production to start in early 2011, aiming for either fourth quarter 2011 or early 2012 premiere. The pilot script was written by Michael Taylor, who will serve as executive producer along with David Eick, Bradley Thompson, and David Weddle.

The article also touches on RDM's possible involvement, the possibility of Brear McCreary returning as composer, the possibility of Nico Cortez returning as Ensign William Adama, and some minor plot details about the pilot.

I, for one, say bring it on. I'd be very interested to see the full might of the Colonial fleet fighting it out with the Cylon fleet. The War itself, the lengths the Colonials would go to in order to save their worlds, could present some very compelling stories, I imagine.

2. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Frakking awesome!

Nico looked like a young EJO
    And more Bear McCreary music in the Galactica-verse? Oh yes!

3. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    Sounds like it ought to be a crowd-pleaser.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Caprica will be over by the time this airs.

5. stavrosg

stavrosg Ensign Red Shirt

That's really, I mean really good news.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. I think it's safe to say THIS is the prequel most of us want, not the current snoozefest. If Caprica gets cancelled, good riddance. Bring on the First Cylon War!

7. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Well, that does it. Caprica just got toasted.

I'll be a bit sad to see it go, but this is, I think, what most of us wanted.

8. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm... impressive news, indeed. I wonder if Syfy execs are hoping to lure back some of the BSG audience with this. Caprica is such a different animal and seems to have turned off a lot of the BSG fans. It isn't generating the same ratings, positive word of mouth, or critical acclaim. This sounds like an attempt to win them all back.

The ratings for Caprica are downright awful. There's a high likelihood that it will not earn a second season. So they'll just replace it with Blood and Chrome? RDM needs to be involved in some capacity.

9. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This definitely sounds more interesting and compelling. The problem with CRAPICA wasn't the lack of action or it not being a straight-up action adventure series but that it was a pretentious bore with boring characters, boring stories, weak writing, a glacial pace and tired themes wrapped inside an allegory.

I do hope though Moore stays away from this new possible series. Moore has become so full of himself in recent years that it taints the work.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, pretty much.

11. vampgrrl

I don't think so...

Caprica will be given an opportunity to tie off its story either via a short 2nd season or something else. There are far too many loose ends to end it now with Blood and Chrome starting up...

Is Daniel the "father" that is in the bath goo in Razor?

B&C can bring Sam and Joe Adama back somewhat...

And I would imagine that B&C would examine the Cylons to some degree...what about the monotheists?

I really enjoy the backstory to the Colonies in Caprica. And the show has really improved since starting back (simply tuesday is killing both SGU and Caprica)

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

From the article, regarding Blood and Chrome's impact on Caprica:

13. Jeff O'Connor

Categorical indeed. Thanks, Mark. You have a way with words.

14. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

We are very pleased™

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

We should have gotten this in the first place instead of Caprica.

16. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    In a perfect world they would start seeding things in Caprica to be shown in Blood and Chrome. Heck, if they want to get really ambitious, they could show both shows on the same night, and bring up an issue on Caprica that gets followed up on the next hour with B&C.

Anyways, very glad to see this.

17. Jeff O'Connor

That would be interesting, but too ambitious considering the 700,000 Americans tuning into Caprica would hardly make for the kind of numbers any network is hoping for when they greenlight a backdoor pilot.

Caprica needs to bounce back by, oh, I don't know... 200%.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Two nBSG spinoffs on the same night? Was nBSG really as big as TNG?:vulcan:

19. Jeff O'Connor

Nah, but neither was Stargate, and SG-1 and Atlantis ran at 8 and 9, respectively for some time.

20. vampgrrl

TNG was the king of TV via syndication (which barely exists today, and 300 TV channels later)

Even highly ranked shows hit 6.0 in the ratings (back in the late 80s, shows routinely got 15-18.0 that were in the top 10)

I predict they keep Caprica one more season....RDM already said he has a roadmap for Caprica that ramps up quickly into the Cylon War (he said this recently and it is likely he had this in mind)