black widow antivenom

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by splodenode, Jul 1, 2008.

1. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the discovery channel told me you are only allowed one dose of black widow antivenom in a lifetime. is this true?

2. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Hold on, i'll use my psychic powers to tell you. Erm, no :confused:. But then again how many times does someone expect to get bitten by a black widow?

3. bdb

bdb Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the thing is that it will only work once. If you get bit again, it won't help.

4. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

Antivenom is typically a anti-venom antibodies raised in an animal (by injection of venom into the animal, usually sheep or horse) that are injected into the person who has been bitten. The antibodies bind to and neutralize the active components in the venom. However, the also sensitize the person to the serum proteins of the animal. Therefore, a later of the antivenom would be neutralized by the person's own antibodies and possibly cause anaphylactic shock.

5. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i reckon i best be avoiding them spiders

6. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Even if you get the antivenin (the correct spelling by the way), a black widow spider bite is no fun at all. Avoid them at all costs. Even worse are Brown Recluse spiders.

7. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear I get spider bites every once in a while. they get sore and then go down, funny thing I never see any spiders in my room but I get bit when I sleep..... Damn bugs.

8. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fortuunatly, both are very avoidable.