Binge watching on Netflix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Partsguy74, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Partsguy74

Partsguy74 Cadet Newbie

I've been rewatching ENT on Netflix. I've made a few observations. It seems to me that the series was way before its time. The show feels likeaa Netflix show that wants to be binge watched.

In addition to that, the themes discussed seem even more appropriate in today's political environment.

If you ignore the obvious cross over attempts with VOY storyline, the series has alot going for it. It's a shame that it gets the bad rap of ruining the franchise.

I kind of wish the new CBS series follows the lead of ENT in theme and focus..

Yanks likes this.
  2. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

Terra Prime is so much more relevant today, it's scary.

Some of the Blu Rays have interviews where Braga says he and Berman wanted to do something similar to The Right Stuff but they were vetoed by the network. We see echoes of that in First Flight but it's much less than what they wanted to do. They also wanted to wait but the network rushed them to release the show right after VOY. ENT was released in a donut hole of a time where syndication was dying but streaming didn't exist yet. I'm sure that whenever they watch a Netflix show, they curse UPN. If you say ENT as it is feels like a Netflix show, imagine how much more so if Berman and Braga had complete creative freedom.

Anna Yolei, Yanks and Partsguy74 like this.
  3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How did ENT cross over with VOY, apart from the Borg episode?

4. Mur

Mur Cadet Newbie

They should continue the series on netflixs . Too bad they cancelled the series.

5. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished what I call a 'cherry-pick re-watch' of the series, meaning I didn't watch every single ep but watched a substantial portion of them.

I think in the end, faults and all, ENT is my third favorite Trek series behind TOS and TNG. One thing that struck me at the end was the way T'Pol seemed to settle down and become comfortable with herself and her decisions. In the final few episodes you can see her adopting a few human mannerisms quite comfortably- like the way she tells Archer he looks very heroic right before the big speech.

Another thing that showed her adjustment as a person was that in the beginning, she complained constantly of the way human beings smelled. In the final episode after Trip dies, you see her smelling his clothes the way a spouse would after the loss of their loved one. Just little things like that.

S4 of this show indicated they were on an arc towards great things. Ultimately I would have liked to have seen where it went given more time. Oh well. We'll see what Trek 2017 has in store soon enough. I'm ready for a return to the prime 'verse and the small screen.

6. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I am currently re-watching Enterprise on NETFLIX.

Lovin it.

:bolian:

T'Nara and think like this.
  7. VideoSteve

VideoSteve Ensign Newbie

I love Enterprise. Took me a bit of time but it was well worth it. Tons of great episodes. The zombie Vulcan episode from season 3 is as good as any Star Trek episode.

Not to mention the Andorians played a major role. They are my all-time favorite Star Trek race.

T'Nara likes this.
  8. think

think About it! Premium Member

there is the time you have to purge after a binge (in theory) so this must be the spill your guts thread?

I tried to binge on the letter L (thinking that was the name of the series) but got lost part the way in..
    then it was agents of shield 000 did not have time... yet I have time to post here Go Figure ?

9. eyeresist

If her sense of smell was so powerful, would she really need to shove her head in Trip's clothes to get a scent? Maybe the Trellium-D permanently numbed her nose, or maybe she was absorbing his DNA into her katra to make another Trip-baby. ;)

Doctor Clu likes this.
  10. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

It's not about the "need" as in absolutely necessary. The man was dead! She loved him. She wanted to get as much of his scent as possible. Sometimes, it really is that simple. Asking if she needs to get close to his clothes to get a scent is kind of like a teacher saying you should ask "may I go to the bathroom" when you say "can I."

I'm not sure if T'Pol ever became as secure with herself as Spock. She spent a lot of time away from home, in part because she wasn't close to her mother. Yet she pulled away from Trip, mostly because she was worried about not being a good Vulcan. Yes she adopts some human mannerisms (possibly unconsciously) but I don't know if it means anything for being comfortable in her own skin. Now many fans complained T'Pol didn't have it all together like Spock, which is true but not a fair criticism. Spock at least had Amanda when Sarek wasn't accepting of him. T'Pol's father died when she was young so she had no one to lean on when T'Les judged her. I have no doubt that if there was another season, she might have come to terms with her mommy issues but it's not something you get over easily.

These moments you pointed out were some of the few good things about TATV, as much as I hate it. The pre-speech scene showed how close Archer and T'Pol had become as friends.

Willow likes this.
  11. eyeresist

I don't know if T'Pol became a more peaceful person by the end, but she certainly was more comfortable with humans and their customs, and as dealing with them was her occupation, I guess that's progress. But I think deep down she is still looking forward to retiring on Vulcan and not having to deal with people's feelings all the time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  12. Doctor Clu

Doctor Clu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always loved Enterprise since day one. Loved the whole exploration aspect, getting into space for the first time basically. The Andorians were a great re-occuring part. Season one was a bit hit or miss, but still fun.
    Season two I remember it getting better.
    Season three was a bit extreme with the Xindi and the Expanse, but fun.
    And then there was season four...

MOHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!

Oh my friggin gawd Season Four was excellent. It is like they said, and I remember hearing this, that they knew they were going under after that season, so they told the writers "Go nuts". And so the writers did.

You find out why Klingons didn't have the ridges in the original series.
    An episode with Organians.
    How Vulcans continued on the path of logic.
    The excellent two part mirror universe story.
    A hold over from the euginics Wars.
    And more and more Trip and T'pol, and I was shipping them so hard.

Honestly the retrospective of Riker and Deana was enjoyable enough to see those two looking back on that era.

But the death of Trip was complete and utter contrived and shoe horned in hogwash.
    To matter the fact, I recorded season four of Enterprise (love love love that season) and then made a version of the final episode cutting out the death of Trip scenes because I thought they were stupid.

And in the books you find out that Trip was shown to be killed to enter covert operations. He was later re-united with T'pol and they had a kid I heard. Hey, I'll go with that.

And the thing about Enterprise that I always wanted to see in movie form was their crew and the new Federation in the Romulan war. They were building towards that and we never got there, though a book was released on that.

People bag on Enterprise, I just bag on Trip's death and love the rest.

T'Nara and Yanks like this.
  13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Season 4 is really good. It mystifies me how some TOS fans can't un-dim thier brains a bit and see how much better it is than season 3 of TOS for example.

Yanks likes this.
  14. Willow

Willow Captain Captain

Season 3 TOS? I never even made it THAT far in my rewatch. I got through Season 1..and then I gave up and went back to rewatching Enterprise...even the "bad" episodes.

T'Nara likes this.
  15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been rewatching season 4 on dvd and I've been enjoying seeing the series again.

16. Matt McGuire

Matt McGuire Ensign Newbie

Planning to binge on Enterprise when I'm done with Voyager.

17. mellis1701

mellis1701 Ensign Newbie

I'm re-watching it on Netflix too. At the time it first aired, I couldn't really get on with it. It didn't feel like Star Trek to me, and wasn't what I was looking for in a new series. I'd grown up watching 24th century tech. Enterprise seemed too primitive, a step backward.

But I'm really enjoying the show now. I can see what they were trying to do and I'm amazed at how "Star Trek" it does feel to me now (as in, you can tell that its from the same stable as TNG/VOY, not the actual look of the show). I've never seen S4. I gave up around S3. I believe I have some excellent stuff to come.

18. iMike

iMike Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Regeneration" was a crossover with the film First Contact, not VOY. The remnants of the Borg sphere located in the arctic at the beginning of the episode was the same sphere the Enterprise-E fired upon after following it back through the temporal wake in First Contact. Unless I'm forgetting something there is no crossover between VOY and ENT.

19. eyeresist

The relationship is that the Borg in Regeneration tried to send a signal to the Delta quadrant, which is where the Voyager ended up.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I agree, OP, ENT is really bingeable.

T'Nara likes this.