Billy Campbell almost got Riker?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Norrin Radd, May 10, 2009.

1. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

Jan 9, 2014
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    I've know about this for a while, and still feel that things ended up the way they should have. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED The Rocketeer (still wish Disney had made the two sequels they were going to), but Frakes IS Riker. In my opinion, he was the best choice.
  2. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Mar 16, 2003
    Campbell's doing a pretty good job on the new SyFy/Ron Moore series: Helix

and he's still thin.
  3. Jane O'Lantern

Jane O'Lantern Captain Captain

Feb 9, 2010
    Okona was terrible, but still the best thing about an embarrassing TNG episode. If they'd just quit harping on about how outrageous the guy was supposed to be, it would have been okay, but as it was, I can only categorize it as hackneyed at best.

Apart from Okona, I only remember Campbell as Luke Fuller in Dynasty, but I might just give Helix a try. I'm a big BSG fan so I've been waiting for the excuse to take a look at that show...

But as a Riker/Frakes fan, I'm sure happy Campbell didn't get the role!
  4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dec 26, 2003
    The Bay Area
    Rick Berman addresses this in the Season One Bluray documentary, saying then-Head of Paramount Television John Pike said he wouldn't follow Campbell into battle, or something to that effect. So it was Frakes that won the part.
  5. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dec 26, 2002
    Warner Robins Georgia
    Me Too!!!! Frakes is a much better choice for sure.:)
  6. Kamdan

Kamdan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jan 1, 2011
    One of the documentaries on the first season TNG Blu-ray mentioned that Campbell was passed over, because someone apart of the production said that based on his military experence, he wouldn't be able to take orders from someone like Campbell.
  7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Jun 4, 2001
    I loved The Rocketeer so it would've been interesting for me to see Campbell in the part. Frakes did a good job, though.