Billy Campbell almost got Riker?

Discussion in 'The Next Generation' started by Norrin Radd, May 10, 2009.

1. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

They exist?

2. NumberOne

NumberOne Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought he did a good job on the 4400. I know I've seen him in other stuff but I really only remember him from the 4400. I could see him as Riker but I can see where they would think he's a little too "soft" versus Frakes.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Speaking of actors who almost got main parts on the show, Colm Meany was in the running to play Geordi. The guy who played Hugh Borg (I forget his name) was in the running for Wesley.

4. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Tim Russ was also in the running for Geordi. The actor for the Traveller was in the running for Data. The pirate captain in "Gambit" was in the running for Picard.

5. bouttime

bouttime Cadet Newbie

in that episode campbell had to be a swashbuckling type. i'm sure had he gotten the part he'd have played it differently. but i like frakes and i think he played the role the best way he could in relation to what he was given and the rest of the characters. riker fit in with everyone else. and for me the chemistry of the characters was a big part of why the show worked. he had a tough role, he had to be understated as 2nd in command and yet had to provide leadership when called upon. i think the role requires one to be "stuffy" if it is going to be played with some realism. i think he did a great job and he let others shine......the striaght man to the funny guy who gets all the laughs. he did his job.

6. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see the second choices for all the roles. Even Troi and Crusher.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Commodore Commodore

Jonathan Frakes was the perfect choice. I seriously doubt anyone else was really considered after his audtion(s). He's brought so much to STAR TREK, as well, both as actor and director. Every spin-off has a Riker episode in it and it's not surprising ... everybody just loves him!

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

Since somebody necro'd a 5-year-old thread, I guess it's fair to respond to a 5-year-old post:

It's not fair to judge the actor by this one role in what many consider to be a bad episode of Trek. He was also the co-lead of the critically-acclaimed drama Once & Again with Sela Ward, who won a best lead actress Emmy for her part in the show.

9. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rostov of Invasion USA as Picard?:eek:

10. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I always found Riker bland and uninteresting.

11. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The you haven't seen him sit down.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Reading this thread made the images of Jonathan Frakes' head on Billy Campbell's body, and then vice-versa, appear in my mind. It was an incredibly disturbing experience, and I hope it never, ever happens again.

What it comes down to is that like him, hate him, or feel completely ambiguous about him - Will Riker is Jonathan Frakes, and Jonathan Frakes is Will Riker. And Tom Riker. And a bible story narrator. But mostly Will Riker. No one that has posted here will ever picture the Riker character any other way.

Except the way I started this post by describing. Don't do it. Stay with Jonathan William Riker Frakes.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I'm trying to imagine Jonathan Frakes as the Rocketeer. Could you imagine him zooming at you at the speed of sound, armed with that trademark grin?

14. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

Who the hell sits like that?

15. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he was very proud to be both tall and flexible.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only seats that were tall enough for him were the bridge consoles ...

17. Lance

Lance Commodore Commodore

Am I the only one who is surprised that Okona never came back for more appearances? Not saying I'd necessarily want to see him more than once, but it felt to me like he was being introduced as a kind of Harry Mudd character.

18. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

It's had 25 years to sink in, I'm not especially surprised.

19. Infern0

Infern0 Captain Captain

that would have been..... outrageous

20. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

I see what you did there!