Better if they had allowed main cast to die?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Crazyewok, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over kill much?

Just transport your target out.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not talking assassination, I'm talking terrorism like the bombing of the Earth embassy in ENT's The Forge.

3. Guy Gardener

Oh. Pageantry!

There are two types of transporter suppression fields I remember seeing. In Voyager Alliances we saw a disruption field which incapacitated the transporter scanners so that they no way to fix in on their targets, or know who or what hey were transporting. Janeway overruled that device by saying "Well, just transport everyone in the room." Which is stupid and she's lucky no one was cut in half. Meanwhile in Empok Nor there are transporter suppression fields that cause you to explode when the transporter beam is trying to congele someone back into a person. On a planet like Earth where transporters have been around for a while, every "single" transmisson/transporter signal is authorized and tracked like the FAA does with Airplanes today, just so that no one tries any acts of terrorism... Or They're idiots.

But they should be able to identify a rogue signal and "cancel" it relatively instantly if the paper work doesn't check out, which just explains why the hell people still use shuttle pods. Human beings would not be fast enough to track this and it would have to be automated. Computer programing working at computer speed tasked to disrupt illegal signals. You can imagine the fuss if a computer program accidentally kills a couple dozen school children on a field trip to New Atlantis.

In Forge, some dude just walked the bomb in. One foot in front of the other. Reasonably low tech. However later in the episode Archer made a large fuss about needing "codes" to beam through the planetary Jammers on Vulcan into the Forge because he is untrustworthy alien scum.

4. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

If you want to know what happens when you kill of main cast then just watch Earth: Final Conflict.
    There it's more like "Wonder which character will survive today".

5. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I actually quite like that idea, now you mention it. Maybe have one of those pylons broken off.

Still, I'd have liked to see Voyager get a bit more beaten and patched up. Would have done a lot for the atmosphere of the show, letting us know they have to trade and scavenge to survive, rather than being on a routine cruise. If day to day life is no different to any regular deep-space exploration mission, seems like half the point of the show is gone.

6. Guy Gardener

Considering the upgrades they made by Way of the Warrior, quickly and quietly beneath everyone's notice, it's plain to see that absofrackinglutely no Battle damage would last out the week.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So DS9 gets a pass on the "Repairs between episode/seasons" thing VOY was denied.

8. Guy Gardener

Well, are you talking about actual damage, or the need for a new paint job?

Painting can be done with transporters and playing with the gravity fields of the station.

Meanwhile they pillaged empok Nor for parts.

DS9 is Ooooooooooooooooooold.

Voyager is fresh off the production line.

New stuff attracts dings and never works right.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Is that why the Defiant always looked factory fresh and never had any battle scars?

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In To the Death, the Jem'Hadar attacked the station and that was the damage, one of the pylons was blown off.

[​IMG]

Naturally in the next episode the station was just fine. Which was especially lame being To the Death was on SD 49904.2, and the next ep was 49930.3. So 25 stardate units.. dividing a year by 1000 it's basically a day every 2.75 units roughly so they were able to fix that in little over a week.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Remind me again DSN was located on the edge of Federation space, was a key starbase in the region..

It is somewhat easier to rationalise repairs to DSN, the Ent-D as they had access to the resources of the Federation. VOY didn't have that, They couldn't exactly put in at a Federation shipard.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They did have access to Commerce Hubs and Alien Repair Stations in the Delta Quadrant though.

It's not like they were all alone out there, which is the only way NuBSG got their plot to work.

You can rationalize DS9 staying so good so long, but that means VOY can be rationalized too.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Repair stations, yes. But there's no way to know how knowledgeable any one of these stations would be in repairing Federation technology or whether they would have suitable replacement parts lying around for Voyager to use. There's a reason why Starfleet ships put in at Federation outposts whenever they need to be serviced. It's not like taking your car to AutoZone and getting new break pads.

--Sran

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If Gamma Quadrant aliens have tech similar enough for trading and repairs for Federation tech I don't see why the Delta Quadrant would be so different.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really seems to me like taking a Russian Lada(type of car) and pulling into a Ford dealership in the US and expecting them to be able to fix it.

16. Captain Clark Terrell

Prescisely correct.

You're presuming that people native to the Gamma and Delta Quadrants are alike. In reality, they're no more alike than the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans are alike.

--Sran

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Not the best analogy, because TOS showed us that the Feds could steal and integrate a Romulan cloaking device they had no knowledge of into their own ship with no problem.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Or fly a Klingon BOP into the past with the slingshot maneuver. Yet when a Romulan cloaking device is installed on the Defiant, a Romulan officer is dispatched to operate the device (and to guard it). T'Rul is never seen again after "The Search," but the two events by themselves would seem to contradict each other. Why would Kirk's crew be any more capable than Sisko's where Romulan technology is concerned? If anything, I'd expect the opposite.

--Sran

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Which goes back to the original point I made: If everything else in Trek says that it's easy to use alien tech and vice-versa then what's stopping the VOY crew from using Delta tech or Delta Aliens fixing the ship for them?

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Because the civilizations encountered by Voyager's crew aren't like any seen in TOS, TNG, or even DS9. The Delta Quadrant was the least explored area of the galaxy at the time of Voyager's disappearance. Why would any of the people living there have technology comparable to what's used on Voyager?

--Sran