Betelgeuse could beon the verge of going nova

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Marc, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I don't quite understand all the hostility here at posters asking questions (and asking questions on a discussion board, at that! Oh, the horror! :D). It's an attitude I do often see on message boards, but almost never IRL. Most people I know IRL enjoy being given a chance to share their knowledge, and are happy to do so.

If you really hate answering questions here, then just don't do it! Nobody's forcing you to. But labeling people who ask and/or answer questions as "lazy" or "fools" is uncalled for.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think it really depends on the question asked.

3. Jonas Grumby

^ Not here on a message board, I wouldn't think. If you don't like the question, just don't answer it.

4. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, you really got yourself into a lather over this. :lol: Seems like we lack context here.

I'm not talking about, for example, asking my wife what time The Big Bang Theory comes on while I have the TV guide in my hand. That would be lazy.

I'm talking about, for example, when I am helping her cook and I ask, "hey, how many cups are in a quart again?", because the recipe calls for a 1/2 quart of something and all I have are measuring cups and she rolls her eyes and says, "why don't you look in the third book on the right on the top shelf of the book cabinet in the other room?". THAT'S the kind of crap that I think is unnecessary.

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I was replying to a very specific position, which was:
    Let's not take it out of context, mm-kay?

Somehow, I have a feeling her irritation was not about the question itself, but the fact that the questions has been already answered more than once. Translation: she wan not annoyed because you asked the question; she was annoyed because you didn't bother to remember her answer. "Why should I make an effort to remember this, I can just ask her again next time." I've seen that a lot, and it could get annoying pretty fast.

Besides, if that's the problem, why don't you just learn how many cups there are in a quarter or whatever? Or even better, switch to metric. ;)

6. Chaos Descending

Your feelings mislead you. Best to stick to the facts.

I already know how many cups are in a quart. I've known it ever since the first time I asked.

Soccer and Metric are the sole reasons why Europe continues to be inferior to the US. :p Why should we dumb it down for your sake? ;)

7. iguana_tonante

Yet, your wife is still pissed at you. I wouldn't be be so sure of yourself.

And that's when jokes stops being funny and become insulting. "Inferior"? Really? That's how you talk with people? Wrapping your jokes in supremacist overtones? I suppose you were trying to be funny with the usual Europe/US sniping, but I have to wonder where on earth calling other people "inferior", even in a joke, is considered funny.

Enough for my daily 3 minutes of rightful indignation.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. Chaos Descending

No she's not.

She just doesn't like being asked questions.

Uhhh... hmmm..

Really? That's sort of... well, surprising. I guess I made an error in evaluating your sense of humor.

Accept my apologies. I won't make the same mistake again.

9. Jonas Grumby

:confused: There is nothing taken out of context. That is precisely the exchange I was referring to.

10. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Heck, I bet Zaphod and Ford are the REASON for the supernova... :lol:

Cheers,
    -CM-

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nothing is out of context. You assumed an incorrect context, something people on the internet have a tendency to do.

12. iguana_tonante

We have all our hot buttons. Maybe it's surprising, but calling people "inferior", even in a joke, is one of mine. Apologies were unnecessary, but appreciated nonetheless.

So "I think asking questions instead of looking for the answer yourself is lazy" is the same as "I hate answering questions". Ok. Noted for future reference.

13. Chaos Descending

We have all our hot buttons. Maybe it's surprising, but calling people "inferior", even in a joke, is one of mine. Apologies were unnecessary, but appreciated nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. And you're right, we do have "hot button" issues that sometimes startle people.

In my circle of co-workers we have the idiotic habit of making various flavors of "your mother" jokes. For example, if a dude comes in late we may ask, "where have you been", and the answer might be, "I was at your Mom's house". None of us think anything of this, we're all friends. But one day someone substituted my sister for my mother in one of our little inane tirades and my blood BOILED and I wanted to sock the guy in the face. After I minute I calmed down and remembered the context and thought, "well, serves us right since we opened a can of bad worms to begin with".

14. sojourner

Worst inferiority complex I have ever seen! :lol:

15. iguana_tonante

I definitely over-reacted, as CD did nothing to deserve it. But your history must be different, if you don't get bothered by people calling other humans "inferior". Call it cultural memory.

16. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Some people aren't as fast as others when it comes to speaking or typing. So they seem slower, when its not that, they just over-think and get confused. they also could slower becuase when they are prepared to ask the first question the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th question is already going through their minds, so it comes out wrong.

17. sojourner

^Who are you talking to?

18. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

It was a response to the other page. More broad than to a specific person.

19. Chaos Descending

The "other page"???

20. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

page 9.