Best Regeneration Story

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Favorite/Best Regeneration Story

1. The Tenth Planet

2.5%
  2. War Games

12.5%
  3. Planet of the Spiders

2.5%
  4. Logopolis

7.5%
  5. Caves of Androzani

47.5%
  6. The Enemy Within (The TV Movie)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways

20.0%
  8. The End of Time

7.5%
  1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This really should be a top three, but it's got to be Androzani, so it's second or third choice that's the interesting bit. I'd be trying to pick between Logopolis, 10th Planet, War Games and Parting of the Ways, with 10th Planet probably losing out, and maybe War Games as well.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I've always been partial to "The War Games," just because I think it's an absolutely brilliant piece of television (especially in context), and Patrick Troughton is easily my favorite Doctor.

From a filmmaking perspective, though, I have to go with "The Parting of the Ways," just because of how it so concisely establishes the regeneration conceit for new viewers and wraps a neat bow around Eccleston's tenure.

All of them are better than the 15-minute on-screen masturbation that closes "The End of Time." Jesus.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, The Caves of Androzani was an easy top choice, but I don't know what I'd pick between The War Games, Logopolis, and "The Parting of the Ways."

(I've never actually seen Planet of the Spiders. :borg:)

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Androzani by some distance...

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Tenth Planet- pretty decent, introduces fun new enemies, but they and the Doctor are both absent for large chunks of it. Still, very striking and a strong contender.

The War Games - fun but overlong, and doesn't actually include a regeneration, cos it's off-screen.

Planet Of The Spiders- Mix of good and dire, woefully over-padded, but has some nice bits. Could have been a fantastic four-parter.

Logopolis- The first two episodes are turgid, and amazingly stupid (hell, "materialize the TARDIS underwater and open the doors") but the last two episode are great, and the regeneration really is fitting for the end of an era.

Caves Of Androzani- Easily the best regeneration story - full of doom and foreboding but without overdoing it. Great death scene for Five as well. As far as being a classic DW story overall, though, it's overrated. Great case and direction, but it is, after all, Power Of Kroll done dry.

The TVM - harmless fun, I guess, but didn't need a regeneration - there wasn't one between Troughton and Pertwee, after all - and bothering it robs us of some of the limited chance to get to know the new Doctor.

Parting of The Ways- not bad, though the regeneration feels tagged on at the last minute -for obvious reasons!

End Of Time- fun story overall, great Master story, but the actual regeneration tour itself is just stupidly overblown and has me shouting "get fucking on with it". If only he'd actually regenerated by surprise in The Stolen Earth... That would have been amazing!

So, I voted for Caves, with Tenth Planet a close second. If it was a vote for them as just "Best story" I'd have voted differently.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Music wise..

End of Time (love Vale Decem)
    Parting of the Ways
    Caves
    Logopolis

7. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Caves was by far the best one. I am especially sick of the New Who telling us so far in advance and then making the whole episode about the fact he's going to die/regenerate (ugh, and having him KNOW he's going to regenerate). Lame. Give us a great story, and have the doctor die at the end of it...only to come back regenerated.

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, I haven't seen caves of Tenth Planet yet. Shame, they seem to be the most popular ones. :P

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the 10th Planet dvd is out three weeks on Monday... and Androzani? Never been out of the top three in any poll since it first went out !

10. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The War Games, but only if done this way.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

This should so be an option to splice in on all future releases of The War Games..

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

you'd have thought he'd have been impressed by eleven's bow tie (or wasn't he wearing one in the picture?)

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's brilliant!

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I love The War Games but that's awesome. :lol:

15. Green Lantern

Yeah, I intend to get Tenth Planet for Christmas. Besides, brand new DVDs are always expensive. I don't like to pay over a tenner for DVDs.

Also, I looked up Androzani on amazon. The only Region 2 DVD I could find was the earlier one with barley any special features and it was bloody £21. For a DVD, especially one with barley any special features, that was outrageous. Especially seeing other box sets were that much.

16. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, you don't want barley on your DVD, it messes up the picture. Go for the ones with oats!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

Mr Awe

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should've gotten the Revisitations box set. Includes it, Talons of Weing Shiang and The TV Movie, with many new features.

18. Green Lantern

The problem with that is I have the other two DVDs.

19. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, suit yourself. Thing is, the Revisitation serials are generally better than the previous releases, both in picture quality and extras-wise.

20. Green Lantern

Yeah, it's a shame I got the other two DVDs earlier on. I have the 96 film which has next to no special features. A shame, would have been fascinating viewing. It always seems that the Doctor Who's I want to have extra special features never have any. :P