Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DumbDumb2007, Nov 28, 2007.

1. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

If the Best of Both World's Parts 1 and 2 were remastered completly the sound effects, picture clarity and battles in both halves of the epic story would blow people away.
    Aa few new scenes of Patrick Stewart as Locutus could be added. No one would notice the years added on under the Borg makeup. Seing what the Battle section of the 1701-D could realy do while separated would in incredible.
    Seeing the Starship Saratoga onscreen would be cool. Actually seeing the Battle of Wolf 359 in today's level of special effects technology would blow people's minds.
    It would be one of star Trek's greatest battles done right !

The whole Series should be redone !

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They can just add the scenes of the Battle from "Emissary" in DS9 and use the Locutus footage from there if they wanted. DS9 gave us a good idea of what the fight was like.

3. Diesel Micky Dolenz

Diesel Micky Dolenz Captain Captain

Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

The battle of Wolf 359 might look good if done in CGI, but given the uneven results of some of the remastered TOS fx, I wouldn't bet on it. Besides, the episode worked better without footage from that particular battle. It made the aftermath that much more effective.

4. Cpt_Nick_Stone

Cpt_Nick_Stone Ensign Red Shirt

I think it has more dramatic effect without showing the battle. We have the Enterprise crew talking with Admiral Hanson, and the comm line gets cut off. A While later the Enterprise arrives at WOLF 359 to find the debris field from the annihilated fleet, it's quite a shocker. Showing the battle and the carnage being caused, would detract from that moment quite a bit, especially for people seeing the episode(s) for the first time.

I guess though, they could revamp the Enterprise crossing Debris field scene itself. I guess they could also improve the look of the Borg drones.

Personally though, I'm not too fussed, it works reasonably well enough as it is imho.

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd tend to agree with Capt_Nick_Stone. Dramatically, it's better for us to see the aftereffect than the actual battle. However, the aftereffect could be more grisly, with many scarred and damaged ships that don't look like kitbashes.

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Didn't they say in another thread at TrekBBS they they cut out of bunch of the battle scenes from the D.S.9. pilot from Wolf 359?

7. KDoug

KDoug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, how about this:

[fanboy] A CGI shot of a Borg Cube, starting off far away, then zooming into close up, and actually going inside the Cube, zigzagging around a bunch of corridors and/or catwalks so that we can see lots of Borg doing their Borg things, and finally zooming out the other side! All while a huge space battle is going on! Man, that would be so Übér Ãwesôme! :D [/fanboy]

8. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The DS9 Companion mentions it, but never really goes into too much detail. I think they mostly took out a lot of debris and derelict ships. The battle scene was initially intended to be set during the end of Wolf 359, but the script was altered to make it the beginning so we could have Locutus' giving his resistance is futile spiel.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS-R isn't adding scenes where none existed (just retooling existing ones), so I'm sure TNG, VOY and DS9-R also won't.

The best we could hope for is more closeups of the wrecked space junk in the 'graveyard' scenes.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I dunno about that. I think the main reason that no new scenes are added to TOS is because barrel loops and extended FX shots didn't "fit", and the base would freak-the-fuck-out.

Messing with TOS would be like putting Transformers in the Book of Genesis. There would be riots. Geeky riots but riots non-the-less. If someone "adds" stuff to the later series, I doubt few would bitch or moan, as there aren't to many TNG+ "purists" out there like TOS purists.

11. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Referencing the part in bold... the problem with that is that the Ent-D wasn't at the battle. It arrived after it was over.

And I think the shock of the scene, as said above, was the complete devastation after.

And who ever woulda thunk we'd be talking about TNG needing remastering???

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think I'd enjoy that version of Genesis a lot more than the Biblical one. :lol:

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It would be teh awesum.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If TPTB ever want to air the show in HD, they will have to remaster it. Same goes for DS9 and Voyager. (Not Enterprise, which was made to be airable in HD from the get-go.)

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think seeing the battle in BOBW would cheapen the shock of seeing the destroyed fleet. If they did a TOS style remastering of the effects I'd like to see them "sex up" the wreckage instead of showing the battle.

16. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Battle of Wolf 359 should be extended in DS9 if/when they remaster that series. The battle should not be shown in BOBW at all because like, like Jolly Jack Bauer said, it would cheapen the shock value of seeing the destroyed fleet.

17. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

I'm in total agreement with the opinion that the shockvalue of seeing the destroyed fleet would be diminished if we saw the battle.

The breakup of the transmission from Admiral Hasnon (sp) lets us know that things are not going well. Then to later see the D fly through the wrecked hulls and debris lets you know this there was a total massacre.

At that time it was truly impressive as we never saw more than 4 or 5 ships on screen at a time. To see all of these starships we'd come to view as somewhat indestructible in that condition was hard to believe. It made me wonder how many ships Starfleet actually had left.

While cool to watch, DS9's dominion war VFX sequences made it look like an assembly line was spitting out an endless supply of starships.

18. Tralis

Tralis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think we just should be patient for HD. It'll be cool if and when they remaster, but we can torture ourselves waiting for the TOS treatment until our faces turn blue.

19. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

Then the aftermath graveyard of ships should be more devastating.

20. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think pretty much everyone has seen the "aftermath" of the battle.

Personally I'd sacrifice a little of the "shock" factor to see a row of over 30 ships get their asses whooped by a single Borg cube. Can you imagine 10 mins of just pure insane fighting, with the Borg swatting the helpless Federation ships like tiny fruitflies?

Then afterward, show the Enterprise pass thru a "very detailed" version of the aftermath. I think it would still be quite shocking.

What TNG needs really is to spice up it's already current FX shots (make ship movements longer, more detailed, better backgrounds, more camera/panning/zooming, etc) AND it needs to add "implied" scenes (like the 20 ships that were going to form a "Tackyon Grid", I think we saw 3 ships of that armada? Show the full 20 this time. And for the scene with Data uncovering the Romulan ship, show a huge extended scene of the ship firing torpedoes and destabilizing the cloak, and have the Warbird pull these crazy maneubers to get out of dodge, and get it's ass back to Romulan space.

This is what to me would make me buy the entire TNG collection (You hear that Paramount????? Redo all the FX shots in TNG a'la TOS': "Doomsday Machine" and my wallet automatically becomes yours!!!!! :) :)