Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its certainly not forgettable. I can remember the type of part every regular was playing. I first heard it on the train on the 40th Anniversary coming back from Paul McGann's signing for it in London! I suppose I'll always have a fondness for it for that.

Theres a few things I didn't like in the McGann stories at the time... that are nothing compared to what the TV series has done since it came back!

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, I had a chance to listen to Neverland and Zagreus, and loved them both. I had no problem whatsoever that the previous Doctors were playing other characters (though, really they're not). I really enjoyed Colin Baker's character, really gave me some sympathy for the Vampires in the ESpace Trilogy.

Then I listed to Gallifrey Series 1, and they went back to back really, really well. Neverland and Zagreus first brought an extra dimension for me to a couple things in Gallifrey Series 1 that I didn't really catch, when I listed to it at work the first time (Though, that was a fairly distracted listening). Currently listening to Gallifrey Series 2, disk 1.

So, according to Wikipedia, it seems Charley and the Doctor continue their adventures together in the Divergent Universe in a series of about 10 Audio Plays, starting with Sherzo, I'll have to get those some time (Probably get the rest of the Charley adventures prior to Neverland first, though)

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm slowly working my way through the Divergent Universe stories, and for the most part, I'm really enjoying it. Scherzo and The Natural History of Fear are not only two of the best audio plays during that run, they're amongst the best overall. I've read a lot of complaints about the Divergent Universe, such as rules changing after the first story and the fact that it went on "forever," but thus far I don't agree with the complaints. I guess it helps that I haven't had to wait for each release in real time and instead going on my own pace.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Natural History of Fear is genius. Blows my mind every time.

The main complaint I have with the Divergent Universe stories is that The Creed of the Kromon and The Twilight Kingdom are painfully awful Who-by-the-numbers.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hm, that's surprising. I know a lot of people don't like The Creed of the Kromon (I don't mind it so much, but it's certainly nothing special), but I quite liked The Twilight Kingdom. The only thing I didn't about it is that Charley and C'rizz didn't have anything to do.

6. Stevil2001

The characters are all stock (crazy military guy, reluctant military guy, reluctant scientist), and the story's "twist" is obvious way too early, and then nothing happens.

7. Rarewolf

It was supposed to go on even longer, but the BBC had the audacity to bring it back to TV, so Big Finish thought they better bring him back early.

8. Sindatur

oooh, did the Doctor actually say in End of Time, that the Never Weres were a weapon in the Time War? I never caught all those things he said, due to the speed of the speech and the accent.

After listening to Neverland, "The Never Weres" actually means something.

I wonder in what context exactly they were involved? Do any of the later Divergent Universe Stories give any further hints?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. Stevil2001

Neverwhere? Is there an audio called that?

10. Sindatur

Ooops, typo... Neverland*

*Edited Post

11. Stevil2001

Oh, are you talking about the Never People? I don't think there was intended to be a connection, but I can see it.

We never see the Never People again; the Divergent Universe is a different timeless pocket universe inhabited by people pissed off at Rassilon's machinations. (No, really.)

12. Sindatur

Oh, OK. Boy Rassilon really got up the nose of all kinds of folks, didn't he? I thought the Divergent Universe thanks NEverLand, thanks for the correction.

Regarding the Never People, I do recall them being referred to as Never-Weres at one point in Neverland.

13. Sindatur

So...Lungbarrow, is it only available as a book, or is there an AudioBook/Play of it as well? I googled, and did Wikipedia and the only evidence I noticed of an Audiobook is a Torrent Download on the list (Didn't click on it, so don't know if it's text or Audio). Big Finish site came up empty.

I'm watching the Sylvester McCoy era now, and watched Rememberance of the Daleks Last Night, and it struck my lack of knowing the Lungbarrow story needs to be resolved soemtimes in the near future. I really enjoy Dr. Who Unbound #1 - #7 (Except the Arabella Weir Belch and Barf-fest :rolleyes: ), so, I have no worries about Lungbarrow possibly trampling on continuity.

Listening to Episode 3.2 of Gallifrey Adventures on my commute, so, not too much longer until I finish the Gallifrey Adventures, and I'd like to listen Lungbarrow afterwards, if that's possible

14. Rarewolf

Officially and probably only a book. I know there are fan readings of one or two BBC 8DA though.

15. Stevil2001

Yeah, there's no Lungbarrow audio. Only the Targets and the New Series Adventures have audiobooks.

16. Sindatur

Thanks Guys. Bummer, I'll have to find a book copy then (And I'm sure that probably won't be an easy task?) and find the time to read it.

ETA: Bigger Bummer, checked Barnes and Noble, Ebay, and Amazon.com, can't touch the book for less about $100.

Though I did find this on Amazon for $20.33, it appears to be stories from multiple books, but, I'm not confident it's the actual stories in full, I'm suspecting it's some kind of review thing or snippets or something, is this the full stories that are listed, or soemthing else entirely?

http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-New-Ad...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321032212&sr=1-3

Gonna have to come up with another scenario.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You might want to check your local thrift stores or used book stores.

Now, a warning ...

I have seen a listing pop up that claims to have six books in one, from a "publisher" named Hephaestus Books. To say they are not legit is the understatement of the century.

They have listings for hundreds of thousands of titles (seriously) and only came into existence in September of this year. What they are doing is taking wiki articles, reviews, and other things they found on the net, giving them new titles, and "publishing" them, either as ebooks or print on demand.

Here is one author talking about it.

Just giving this as a warning for when you're looking for this book ... the "real" version is long since out of print and ridiculously expensive. The HP version that looks so cheap is a "study guide" to that and a handful of other Doctor Who books.

18. Sindatur

Thanks Omaha, yea, I suspected that wasn't actually the stories all rolled into one book.

Yea, looks like Used Books and Thrift Stores are the way to go. Maybe Libraries or other sources to read

19. Sindatur

So, I just started on Iris Wildthyme, Series 1 (Iris Wildthyme at Large), and there is a Stuffed Panda who talks, named Panda. Does he have an origin story somewhere, or do we just roll with it?

Series 1 starts out with her prior Companion Tom, having been away from her 10 years, are those previous adventures available, or is that just made up backstory?

Previously, I only had experience with her through a Tom Baker short story, I believe from "Tales From The TARDIS", concerning Feline race (Old Flames, I believe). So, I have very little knowledge of Iris Wildthyme, jsut curious as to what else might be out there prior to Series 1.

I see by looking at Wikipedia, there's Novels and short stories, where she wasn't even yet conceived as being a Time lady, it appears, or at least not officially connected. I also notice she's featured in a few Doctor Who Audio Plays.

So, basically just wondering if I'm missing anything starting with Iris Wildthyme at Large?

20. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished tht Wheel of Ice, a second Doctor story with Jamie and Zoe.

Set on a mining colony near Saturn and read by David Troughton.

It about 9 hours long so it's fairly epic, a bit padded in parts but Troughton really sounds like his father and his Jamie impression is pretty good too.

Nice to get a new second doctor story.