Best and worst comic book movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Overlord, Sep 15, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What are the best and worst comic book movies?

2. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Personally I'm very fond of the X-Men films and Green Lantern, I also enjoyed the Blade trilogy. That's really it for me and CBMs, the rest have either been varying levels of awful or just failed to encourage me with dull trailers.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorites would be the Raimi Spider-Man, X-Men, Nolan Batman, and MCU movies.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Best: Nolan's Batman trilogy, The Avengers, X-Men First Class. Captain America, Iron Man and Spider-man 2 bubbling under.

Worst: I've avoided many of the ones that got the worst reviews, but I'd have to say that Batman and Robin, Elektra and Catwoman spring to mind.

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best comic book movies: Dark Knight Rises, Blade 3, X-Men 3, Green Lantern, Steel, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Elektra and the Salinger Captain America movie.

That's as high as art can get, my friends.

6. Captaindemotion

^I'm guessing that you want to insert the words ' and Worst' in there somewhere? Or are you really bracketing Dark Knight Rises in with those others?

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Best ever: The Avengers. Period. List done.

Worst ever: Batman and Robin. Might as well have starred Adam West and Burt Ward.

8. Captaindemotion

^That's completely unfair.

West and Ward had much better comic timing and chemistry than Clooney and O'Donnell.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Are we counting tv-movies? 'Cause that gawdawful GENERATION X movie has to be down there near the bottom.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Best: Batman Begins
    Worst: Dark Knight Rises

That film was gawdawful, despite being, on the surface, well made. Is it realistic or isn't? All that overly-layered narrative crap and overediting doesn't disguise the fact the story underneath it all is shallow, paper-thin and a total cliche. What makes it the worst is that it tries to pass it off as being as good as its predecessors, but is far removed from either of them.

11. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, Dark Knight Rises was a complete disappointment, unlike the two before it. Bruce Wayne's broken back is fixed by a karate chop... and this is supposed to be a realistic batman movie? Ugh. That wouldn't have even worked in the 60s tv show.

Personally my favorite comic book movie is probably Blade. Wesley Snipes IS Blade. It's also extremely violent and R rated, which is not only rare among comic book movies, but rare at all these days. I think both of the blade sequels suck, though. Well, the second one is okay, but the third one is awful.

12. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, TV movies are generally not designed to compete with theatrical releases, so I think its only fair to compare just films that had a theatrical releases.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Best: Avengers, Batman (1989), X-Men First Class, Captain America, Thor 1, Iron man 1 & 2, The Incredible Hulk

Worst: The Dark Knight (I'd go into specifics, but then I'd have a 5000 word post about why its the worst movie of any type I've ever seen, and I don't have the energy for that right now :rommie:), Catwoman, Steel, Hulk, Green Lantern (not the worst movie ever, but Reynolds/whoever played Carol sucked), Captain America (the reb brown movies).

I like most of the ones not mentioned (the mainstream ones), even X3 and Spider-Man 3.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Best: Dark Knight, Iron man, The Rocketeer, x2, Superman, Batman (Adam West)
    Worst (of the ones I've seen): Green Lantern (awful, awful, awful) X3, Superman 3, 4, Batman and Robin--which is probably the worst on the list for me. Wait. Spiderman 3, that's also a bucket of crap.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though I jokingly put those all as best, I group them all together, including Rises.

Yup, to me, Rises is indeed on the same level as Steel. Saw them both once, glad I never have to do that again (at least with Steel I knew what I was getting into, and it was free and on TV)

16. Greg Cox

Dare I admit to editing the novelization of STEEL?

I swear, it seemed like a good idea at the time! :)

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Steel money spends just like other money.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Best

Toss up between Avengers and Dark Knight Rises (Avengers for the sheer fun and excitement and Dark Knight for the actors and story)

Worst

Elektra or Catwoman

19. Greg Cox

And I will go to my grave insisting that STEEL was better than BATMAN & ROBIN, which came out the same year . . . .

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

what story? What actors? The actors are caught in the blinding lights of the script's needlessly complex and nonsensical narrative.. only the least likely character to work, Catwoman, seems fresh and vibrant (I loathed the scenes with her before the film came out, but everything else was so off-point that, oddly enough, she works better than and in spite of the rest of the movie) and sense of dread and paranoia of post 9/11 that carried the also-overcomplicated Dark Knight past plot holes that were just as large is non-existent here, save for the scene with the bridge being destroyed. The film is a too much of a mess to have a story, and the story that it does have is just an excuse to have way too many characters all speaking the most banal lines of dialogue ever. In Batman Begins, the viewer knows at the end when and where the hero and villain come at odds at each other philosophically when Ra's burns his house down. In the Dark Knight the Joker spells it out when he's upside down at the end. In this film, when Batman meets Bane at the end, Bane asks him if he was going to die with the others, and Batman responds "No, I'm going to stop you!!!" (growl)