Before Watchmen: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers ahoy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

New mini accounced about Moloch. I eagerly await Before Watchmen: Milking the Cow Before Midnight.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before Watchmen: Bubastis' First Litter Box

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Before Watchmen: Bernie the Newsstand Guy

5. the G-man

Before Watchmen: the Old Frontiersman

6. Derishton

Before Watchmen: Ozymandias' Secretary

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

All leading up to Watchmen 2: Electric Boogaloo. :)

I've still occasionally see speculation that this is all a precursor to a "Watchmen" sequel. I don't know if this would actually happen, but I suspect that a sequel would cause even more of an uproar than Before Watchmen did.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  8. the G-man

Before Watchmen: the adventures of Charlie Kovacs, undersecretary of vice in the Truman administration

9. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Before Watchmen: Superman :eek:

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly scratching my head about where a sequel comic could take the story :confused:

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Adrian's plan work? Was Adrian's plan exposed? How does Earth rebuild from the destruction of New York? What if a new genuine super-human emerged?

Those are some quick thoughts.

12. Derishton

The only sequel idea that I think wouldn't ruin the symmetry of the original would be something almost completely different, set in whatever universe Manhattan builds for himself.

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

My idea was similar to Zach Snyder's, basically a Rorschach's world kind of thing. I always wondered if maybe John hadn't straight up killed Rorschach but rather separated his intrinsic field trusting that Rorschach wouldn't have the knowledge of human anatomy needed to put himself back together. However Rorschach's need for order and his force of will were strong enough for him to instinctively recreate himself as Mega-Rorschach and he goes about recreating the whole world in his own image literally. So now walking down ever block of every city in the world is a duplicate Rorschach all hurming in perfect hurmony... I mean harmony.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here is a scenario that I came up with for a post-squid world back in the "Watchmen 2?" build-up thread...

I particularly like the idea of a corps of Rorshack cultists.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Em.. I don't have my copy to hand but I'm pretty sure he turns him into a greasy smear?

16. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Em... I'm pretty sure that Jon got fried but his intrinsic field was still separated.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Well... he turns him into some kind of smear, all right. But that's still open to interpretation if you squint hard.

The black mark on the snow has red highlights which are probably supposed to be blood. If they are, then we can say that Rorschach was officially splattered and there's no putting him back together again. End of story. I'm sure this was the original intent. I don't think I.F. subtraction leaves bloodstains behind.

However, you could take those red highlights as just that: red highlights, some trick of the light reflecting off the snow -- not blood. In that case the black mark on the snow might be said to be a discoloration from the radiation used to subtract Rorschach's I.F. Not Rorschach's remains.

In that case, there's still room for Mega-Rorschach.

That's actually not all there is. Anyone doing a DNA test on the squid's brain would discover that it was derived from human (Robert Deschaines). They might even be able to tell who it was. The rest of the squid would need to have some kind of terrestrial origin for it to be alive at all. A DNA test would surely reveal something interesting.

I'm sure Veidt would try to prevent anyone from doing DNA testing, but really, genetic engineering was all over the place. The Gunga Diner served chickens with four legs, for crying out loud! And there was an awful lot of squid lying around. Sooner or later, someone with the right equipment would get hold of a piece of it. I don't see how Veidt could keep a lid on all of that.

This occurred to me years and years ago.

18. Derishton

I always thought Veidt's moment of triumph was literally that: a moment. There are a dozen ways his plot could come to light, and if tech follows the path it did in our world (perhaps more quickly because of Veidt himself), the moment will soon be over.

I don't need a 4 issue mini-series to show me that, anymore than I need a 4-issue mini-series showing me that Nick Carraway feels bad following the events of The Great Gatsby. It's obvious.

19. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't it more interesting to imagine the possibilities of After Watchmen rather than allowing someone to tell you exactly what will happen?

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what your point is. Because that's all anyone is doing right now, imagining the possibilities.