Bear's Finale Music

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by USS KG5, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The VFX guys have been copying shots from the original series for a while. They slipped them in from time to time. You just had to be familiar with the old show to pick them out.

-Chris

2. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: "the music" was well used/explained IMO

Read the blog entry. It was his most "ambitious" epsiode ever, there will be an entire CD soutrack for just Daybreak, and he said he barely slept for 16 days straight working on it.

That's what I call taking a break.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's probable (I haven't listened that far in the podcast to hear if RDM comments), but Bear wrote on his blog that it was Moore's idea.

4. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting note: In the strip club on Caprica, the rock song playing was written by Brendan McCreary intended to be played in Joes bar for an episode but it wasn,t so he put it in here.

The interesting thing though, is the lyrics describe the colonial holocaust and subsequent exodus that the show has been about. But this song was playing BEFORE then... and of course, the singer is the same as the BSG version of "Watchtower".

Its cool to think that maybe the singer himself in the BSG context was a prophet of some kind

5. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sucks that he's not including Razor music on the ssn 4 album :( I've already purchased the previous soundtracks, so basically I'm forced to buy them again in a boxset if I want the Razor soundtrack. Balls.

6. cbspock

Razor also had a cool version of the original theme as well during the battle above the ice planet.

-Chris

7. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the box set he refers to would be entirely unreleased music. He's been talking about doing a bonus album of stuff that didn't fit on the CDs since the day the first season soundtrack came out, and a few months ago, while soliciting requests for what should be on the season 4 soundtrack, he mentioned that every year he has around half a CD's worth of music that was in his "keep" pile that was cut simply because it wouldn't fit. So the fact that he calls it a "boxed set of unreleased material" rather than a "bonus album" probably is just because he has enough for three or four bonus albums now, and not because he intends the unreleased music to be some kind of premium for a giftset of previously released material. Remember, he's a soundtrack fan, too, and so is probably disinclined to jerk the rest of us around.

8. cbspock

He should do a Battlestar Galactica Anthology set, like John Williams did with the 3 Star Wars films. It came with a book that described all the character themes, etc.

-Chris

9. David cgc

Incidentally, in the comments, Bear confirmed my interpretation of what he meant by "box set."

10. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

SQUEEEEEE! *girlish giggles*

11. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long to get released. I DESPERATELY want the Razor soundtrack; Kendra's theme was positively beautiful!

12. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is this CD not frakking out yet!!

13. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Couldn't agree more, and one reason i didn't like the coda was that it didn't end with Bear's music, but Hendrix'... i like Hendrix but Bear McCreary's music has been so essential to the whole nuBSG experience that i felt not including some of it in the very last moments was a weird direction to take.

14. David cgc

Yay! Soundtrack news!

The quick and dirty upshot:

Caprica's soundtrack will be available from La-La-Land in late May, and in stores in early June.

BSG Season 4 is set for the middle of July. It'll be two discs, with the first CD containing music from "He That Believeth In Me" to "Islanded in a Stream of Stars," and the second CD being pretty much the entire score of "Daybreak."

A soundtrack album for Razor and The Plan will be out sometime after that. That's a bit more vague, because he hasn't even seen The Plan yet, much less finished scoring it. My personal guess would be at the end of the year, since The Plan isn't airing until November, and it doesn't make too much sense to release the soundtrack to it first.

Finally, the multi-CD set of unreleased material from all four seasons is coming at some undetermined point in the future. I very much doubt it'll come out before next year.

15. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

Another amusing fact: The other song played at the strip club at the end of the show was a techno remix of The Signal, the piece that plays as Kara is racing through the hallway to stop the airlocking of the Final Four in Revelations.

16. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

Re: "the music" was well used/explained IMO

As Ron Moore explained, the song is written into the fabric of the universe by whatever higher power is orchestrating everything. Every few thousand years an exceptional person has the combination of sensitivity and talent and luck necessary to discover the song and share it. Predictably, everyone who can't find the song themselves assumes the person who did invented it (including that person). On this planet we have Bob Dylan, who found the entire song after the author of the Book of Isaiah apparently had some awareness of it.

17. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

I agree too. They should have done roll credits at the hilltop scene, a fabulous finale score big bang ending, Bear knocked that out of the park. Then show the new york bit at the end of the credits... a la the boat scene in The X-Files.

18. cbspock

What boat scene in the X-files?

-Chris

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

At the end of the most recent X-Files film, I Want to Believe.

I don't think they can effectively do a post-credits scene on non-premium cable shows. The credits are often chopped off and squeezed in order to show previews for upcoming programs. To go from that to another scene would be awkward.

20. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

Thanks.... yeah that's what I was talking about. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Maybe they should have held it over for the DVD release LOL.