Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Absolutely frakking excellent.

I figured they were going to end up finding Earth in our past--showing up in our present would have been cheesy as hell, as Galactica 1980 already showed us, and it would have been really hard to convincingly pull off showing the fleet arriving in our future. The whole first half was just intense and exciting the whole way through.

While they didn't explicitly tell us what Kara was, as soon as she vanished I figured she must have been an angel, sent by God to see humanity to Earth. The human Kara Thrace we knew from the Miniseries was dead. Her father wasn't a Cylon, and neither was her mother. She was simply chosen by God to lead humanity to its end--which she did. As soon as the survivors began to breed with the prehistoric humans on Earth, both species came to an end and created a new kind of human: us.

I do think it was a little too easy that there wasn't any disagreement on the whole "let's abandon our technology and start anew" issue, but I suppose if I'd just gone through four years of hell because my ancestors were unwilling to break the cycle of destruction, I might have gone with the idea, too.

I wish they'd used Bob Dylan's version of "All Along the Watchtower" at the end. His was the first, and Hendrix's is overplayed (still awesome, though, of course).

Farewell, BSG. While you had a rough patch there in the latter half, you were still one of the finest shows I've had the pleasure of watching.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

But if Ellen was right, then the Centurions, free of the skinjobs, given their free will and belief in God, they should be fine. Plus, they know the humans they left on Earth gave up all their technology. What do they have to worry about? Not much, by my reckoning. Although there is a seemingly inevitable sequel in which we travel to the stars and encounter our ancient Cylon brethren... who have also spent the last 150,000 years evolving.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'd fast forward through the flashbacks for sure. Some of them were nice, others were useless.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I have to admit that I'm surprised that you (and many others) find season 1 so brilliant and everything after that so unwatchable no matter what they do. Thanks for you input though. I was wondering if any former fans would pop in.

5. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bring on the Bluray set!!!!

-Chris

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

""Also, and this is a biggie - WHO BUILT THE TEMPLE OF THE FIVE? Why was it built after the final five rolled through town?"" As I vaguely recall this was addressed in the Ellen/Cavil flashback episode. Cavil said she and the Final Five created the temple or altered it to be a road map to their Earth or something like that.

7. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think she was just brought back after her death as an angel because she didn't fulfill her destiny.

8. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the end, given the music they were playing when showing the advances in robotics, it seems strongly implied that we are about to repeat the same mistakes. Which meant that the show ended true to its form.

Very good episode. Gave it an above average.

9. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I don't need anything explained about Daniel per se...it just seemed like a puzzle piece that they could have used to come up with something better than "these guys are angels, that's all."

A puzzle piece which they teased and decided not to use, which is ok...if the ending wouldn't have been so bland.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe not as much as you think. ;)

(well, partly. I mean, I did like these episodes. But I'm still pretty far from being a fan. And, last time I checked, I still have a soul. :lol: )

11. galleywest

galleywest whaaaaaat?? Premium Member

I kinda gave up on the series a couple of years ago, it was all Just Too Much to try to wade through anymore. I felt a kind of obligation, though, to see off what I think really has really been influential on the genre. So I watched. And....

I really liked it. I'm very glad that it got an ending that gave closure to the story of Galactica, but kept open questions as to humanity as a whole (where did those visions come from? Who was Kara? What was coincidence and what was not?). I'm also happy that decent time was given to all the main characters, each got a proper send-off. What I really loved, however, was how, when they finally reached their goal planet, all the fighting, intrigue, the drama kinda vanished. Like they realized, hey, it's over now...and there are more important things to concentrate on! You realize that that was just one chapter of humanity, and now a new one is starting.

Frankly, after all those grim, gritty, claustrophobic scenes in Galactica's grey interior, it was so nice to see the characters out in the sun.

So, nice job. :) Considering the crappiness of some series finales (I'm lookin' at you, TATV), I'd say it was an excellent wrap-up.

12. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    I went with above average

Final Battle = AWESOME so old school NuBSG! The triage, the fighting, even the IN DEPTH look at the characters and the opera house explaination of the so called 'truce' Fantastic I loved the imagry of the old Galacica as the opera house where all things have been performed since the end of the clonies! Perfect!

Torry getting what she deserved and the end of the truce - AWESOME!

The rest...um meh.

I like how that wasn't really Kara but her spirit, I did get it and the fact she was the daughter of Daniel who was obviously stepping into to balance out Cavil's evil domination over the Cylon nation...but just the 'back to nature' routine was something kinda contrived, at least it felt that way to explain how we had zero artifacts on Earth

I did like however how Caprica and Balter (the Head ones) were basically God's representations of 'Good and Evil' Angels watching over us in our never ending struggle. That and Helo and Athena living happily ever after...that and Galen sorta being the formation of 'Gaelic' culture (that was cute )

I dunno just the ending fell a little flat out average for me, I pained me to see the old girl just fly away to burn up in the sun with the rest of the fleet. Felt more likeit was being tossed away like an empty beer can than actualy being honored for her last mission.

I felt after that she deserved a more fitting end like the Arizona at Pearl. I dunno once more I get it was to keep in line with what the writers were going for but still...that gave me more of the contrived ending...like how it was now unanimous that everyone just embraced the zero creature comfort back to nature thing.

So I gave it above average, definitely better than most finale's but I remember being more moved by the image and music of the destruction of the Babylon station then I was seeing Galactica heading off into the sun. I had tears in my eyes when the B5 Station went up...I just kinda felt like waving when Anders sly into the 'sunset'

Anyways a relatively decent sendoff in my opinion...just couldve been better.

Vons

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Those Centurions have 150,000 years on us. We're screwed!

Although they were underutilized, I'm glad even the Centurions got an ending.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And then John Connor will emerge to lead us to salvation. :lol:

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I do wonder what became of the Centurions after 150,000 years, yeesh, imagine how advanced they could be

16. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Nah - I just watched that scene today. Cavil assumes they built it as a shrine to themselves and Ellen is like "oh, no, we didn't do that - it must be the followers of the one, true god" or something to that effect.

Mainly she means the final five did not build that temple. My question is this - who did? Why would the angels of God who are above all this create a temple to the 5 if they are agents of a single God? That makes no sense.

So there must be some other group of beings who worshiped the final five? Who?

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Seriously, there is a lot of similarity between nuBSG and the Terminator universe, not to mention The Matrix as well

18. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I certainly wouldn't say it was brilliant. The mini was my favorite. If I were to grade, I'd probably give the mini a 10, season 1 a 9 and the second season an 8. Third and fourth seasons were equally poor for me.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit that I'm surprised that you (and many others) find season 1 so brilliant and everything after that so unwatchable no matter what they do. Thanks for you input though. I was wondering if any former fans would pop in.[/quote]

Season 1 and 2 felt like they had a plan, felt like there was a preplanned end point and the show was tight and very few episodes really sucked.

Then season 2.5 came and everything seemed to fly out the window just to try to move the story forward. A lot of the time the show was still great, but more often than not the show's storylines failed. Seasons 1 and 2 are so different than 3 and 4.

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The 13th tribe built it after they left Kobol, on the way to Earth