Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going with...

God doesn't like it when it's children (us) play God.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was when Chief killed Tory, I think. He broke the link and stopped the download (of resurrection tech to the Colony) and then everybody just started panicking.

And I guess it really was Hera who was 'Eve', then. But it looks like she died relatively young... :(

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So... What was up with the opera house?

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I just thought of something, when us on this Earth starts exploring space with FTL drives and stuff, we are going to find the first Earth. I wonder if we will be able to piece together the past and what really happened, Kobol, Earth, the Cylons everything. Of course, we may never get to that point cause our robots we create will probably rebel and the cycle will start all over again.

5. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. What can I say? I'm not going to comment on everything about the episode cuz, damn, I'm not interesting in writing a 2000 word essay right now. Suffice to say the whole thing was absolutely brilliant, save the one nagging annoyance of Kara, head-six and head-baltar not being explained. It would have also been nice to explore the connection between kara, Leoben, and "god". The head characters especially were promised to be explained but it didn't happen. Though, when I think about it, it is a very BSG way to do things. Leave it up to the audience to decide.... that has been how this show does things since day 1.

Also, anyone else slightly disturbed by the idea that the colonials were gonna breed with primitive humans? Isn't that kind of gross and/or unethical? Like rape or something?

Anyway, other than those small issues, it was 2 hours of pure awesomeness. The first hour, especially, was the best hour of BSG ever done. If there was a separate part 2 and part 3, I would give part 2 11 out of 10, and part 3 something like 8 out of 10.

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Kara's father was God. Kara was the living embodiment of God. It's happened before, it will happen again. There's some recasting a man as a woman type stuff for you right there.

7. bigdaddy

The Opera House is probably where the first timeline the colonies went on their separate ways, it was the turning point. The turning point now was the ship herself.

Just a guess.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a metaphor for Galactica itself, I think.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. No show, or film, or book, or whatever, is so good that someone, somewhere will not dislike it. The reverse is also true. Does it mean that those in the minority had no souls? Hardly. People just have different tastes.

9. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was pretty cool for racetrack's raptor to launch the nukes. Great plan in having them hang back.....even if the launch was completely accidental, lol.

10. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

So we are to assume that everyone agrees to abandon technology, nobody tries to rise up and be kings of the natives, the centurions never come back, the other cylons never come back etc? I don't know. Also - Daniel (#7) was never explained either.

Also, and this is a biggie - WHO BUILT THE TEMPLE OF THE FIVE? Why was it built after the final five rolled through town?

Saying it was all God is a cop out.

11. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The centurians are still out there, too. They'll get together with the new robots and create another race. And then it will all happen again.

12. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. That was terrible. What the heck was that?

There were some promising parts here and there. The first half was better than the second.

But overall, it was too drawn out, too boring and too odd to be any bit enjoyable. Just, really, really strange. It's hard to believe this is the same show from the mini/season one (but I'm content in that I decided to come back and finish what I started with the show).

I mean, really, I'm at a loss for words. I'm somewhere between Below Average and Poor. I thought it was better than last week, but that's really not saying much.

Odd.

13. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iirc, "mitochondrial Eve" was a woman or very small group of women who were left after "evolutionary bottleneck"...a time when the himan race was reduced to a very, very tiny number of people in a single tribe...so I guess we have to assume that all the other colonies of humans they scattered around...failed.

Which might not have happened if hey kept *some* frakkin technology! (Like *medicine*!)

Maybe a splinter group of humans *did* refuse to give up there technology, and founded "Atlantis"...or where the "Gods of Olympus"...???

(Maybe Galen was "Merlin", lol!)

Oh, and they gave up their technology....but they obviously had no problem passing down a lot of their religion(s)...so much for a "clean slate".

14. bigdaddy

Yes, you can assume things, we still have brains right?

Daniel is dead, what do you need to be explained?

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

You seem to be in the minority on that opinion.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was Baltar's suggestion and he's a sick frak.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah that reminds me, why the hell did Leoben only appear AFTER the big final battle? Why wasn't there a single Leoben involved in the battle? I'd forgotten about him and then whoop! there he was looking at the Earth info. Weird. And what was up with Leoben and the Hybrids in the end? Were they contacted by Not-God? Were they contacted by Not-God's Angels? ... I also thought that sending off the Centurions was a questionable move. Here you go, remorseless killer robots... the only FTL capable ship in existence! Have fun!

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

It was just a bit of hyperbole, you know. :p

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Can't put it in better words. Still digesting.

20. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

To a certain extent yes I probably am.

Also can't imagine EVER watching it again (at least without wearing out the fast forward button). Although that's probably not the least bit surprising.