Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The episode was so fast paced in the beginning, it was insane! The action was definately there.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Excellent.

- Didn't feel perfect, but it was an easy excellent and a nice ending.

- Cavil's group kind of just went away too easily it seemed.

- The colonials have arrived. No more Cylons, no more technology, no more being on the run in deep space... They have a good simple life now and a real chance for peace.

- I was accidentally spoiled on the "150,000 years later" bit last night, but I still enjoyed the end immensely.

- Reading through all your comments over the last few weeks, I kept an open mind about there being a second Earth and it looks like you were right.

- They didn't explain Starbuck or the head people, but I guess we can deduce that there's a higher power at work for sure. But who doesn't like to be called "God"? Dirk Benedict? :p

- I was wondering whether or not the Chief would find out about about what Tori did to Cally. He did and it was handled pretty well.

- The most touching moment for me was Baltar breaking down in the end over his dad.

Here are some posts I've made in other threads that I'd like to address...

I was right.

Through all these discussions about how it was going to end, people have neglected one obvious thing... The title "Daybreak".

Daybreak: –noun "the first appearance of daylight in the morning; dawn."

3. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do realize that it was Head Baltar and Head Six don't you?

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Frakking excellent.

It's hard to try to summarize everything that's happened but we were treated to some answers, some amazing battles, and some great acting and FX. I definitely was not disappointed with this episode and it's a great ending for the series.

Laura's death definitely got to me but I found myself getting emotional when Baltar told Six that he was a farmer. Finally, that jackass comes through with something.

The Kara storyline...okay. I guess she was a higher power or something.

5. arch101

arch101 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As of right now, I can't see how the ending could have been done any better. I'm satisfied. Both with the answers we got, and with the things that were left nebulous. I don't care who head Six and head Baltar were, I'm OK that they were "angels" or whatever. I also like that Starbuck was essentially a Gandalf-like character, brought back from the dead to save her friends, and to be "called home" when her time is done. I'm surprised how many people lived, but was completely satisfied with them ending up as our ancestors. I had to get the kleenex when Adama carried Roslin to the Raptor, and am heartbroken that my poor, little Racetrack bought the bullet. I'm sure I'll have more comments when I've digested the show more fully.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Just have to say again that this was a perfect ending to the show I think.

Three more weeks of robotic goodness on Terminator. I suddenly feel Terminator: Salvation has a lot to live up to.

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty damn good finale! The Caprica scenes were a little on the dull side but other than that, I don't think they could've done anything better. Action-packed first half, feel-good second half, me liked it! :techman:

It should be noted though that it failed to choke me up or anything the way the DS9 finale always does. Simple fact is I don't really have any emotional investment in the show or its characters. Just the way it is.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ This was the way Endgame should have been.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was good.

Excellent.

Even got Hendrix's Watchtower cover in at the end. Beautiful. Hopefully it plays over the credits to the extended version. :cool:

10. MetroKid

MetroKid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This episode made me realize that somethings don't need to be answered

11. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

W.O.W.

Fracking episode left me speechless. Bravo!

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

So It doesn't like to be called "God", I wonder what it is?!! Some kind of powerful alien force controlling everything? Maybe The Lords of Light? So many theories, I find that fascinating.

Anyway, I enjoyed this finale, I really like the ending, they got it all in there, it wasn't as fast wrap up like some other shows. I can't wait for The Plan to answer more questions. My only gripe is not learning what Kara was, but my theory is she was a head-angel like head-Baltar and Six. She was used for a purpose by 'It that doesn't like to be called God'

I give this finale an Excellent, and I give this series as a whole an Excellent.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something about the way she said that...really gave me the creeps.

As if it wasn't God, but... :devil:

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Question: Are the lower rankings the same every week?

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I alone in thinking that Roslin looked frakking hot during that last flashback?

16. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have been nice if they showed how they all were in 5-10 years but hey it was the end that was the most important and that is 150,000 years later, it's us, lol.

17. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

had to rely on a literal Deus es Machina to tie together all the story arcs, but it doesn't take enough away from the story to hurt my overall "FUCK YEAH" opinion.

18. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I gave it an excellent. Not enough good things to say about it!

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

You know, this is one finale where I get a sense of emotion like I don't really want to talk about it because it happened and it's sinking in. It's hard to describe because it's a good feeling. I will say this is my last post in this forum because I think this finale left me speechless and with nothing more to say. Again, that's a good thing. There's just this large buildup of emotion, sadness, joy, happiness, and relief in that I'm glad I watched this series, and I'm glad it ended really really well. I'm sure someone will be able to describe this feeling a whole lot more than I can but with everything I've been criticizing the series about through it's run, I feel that I've been fulfilled enough where I really just want it to sink in and not worry about talking about it anymore.

Some thoughts I do have

-That was a well done finale and wrapped things up really well. From the battle, to the answers like the Opera House and breaking the cycle, and seeing the final 5 together.

-As for Starbuck, in a why I think I got that answered too. I think I can just do what I did before the Internet, and imagine who she is and think about it. Right now, I think she was kind of the ultra angel, maybe for Lee. I don't mean just for Lee, but for the entire fleet. The ship, the crew, but mostly for Lee. We do see Lee turn around and she is gone, and that's when it it me that she might be maybe the queen of angels. I don't know, but it's fun to wonder.

-I didn't really like the Coda at the end but that doesn't hurt the episode. I just felt that Adama sitting on the cliff with Roslin was the perfect ending to this show and anything else just felt like rubbing it in as an inside joke to the fans. I got a chuckle out of it, but don't think it was really necessary. I will say though at least it didn't end like the last year jump ended, with the Cylons coming in and taking over.

-I did appreciate that this episode wasn't dark, or didn't conclude dark. Everyone felt happy, even though I wonder why is it with a series finale everyone has to split up. One of the things I loved about TNG's was that they didn't split up.

-Speaking of TNG's, I will say this finale was very good and probably tied with TNG's. I said earlier in the week that TNG is the standard in which I judge finales, and I left this one very satisfied.

-Bear McCreary should get a Grammy, Emmy, and Oscar for his work with the music. I had also hoped we had gotten some Kobal's Last Gleaming stuff (Specifically Shape of Things to Come) and we did. The revelation about the opera house was one of my favorite scenes in the entire show.

Well, that's it. I'm still subscribed to the forum to see other reactions and maybe react, but after this weekend, I'm done with this forum. I don't know if I'm coming back for Caprica, or Even the Plan, so maybe I might change my mind, but we'll see.

To all those people I talked with about this show over the years, it's been a hell of a ride. We've had disagreements, agreements, and I even learned the dictionary isn't the be all and end all of words this week from a writer. Who knew. ;) Anyway, it's been fun and see you on the other parts of the board. I love Sports, so that's the forum I call home these days, but the Trek boards, Misc, and the TV forum is where I go. As for BSG, it's a wrap, and I'm glad it went out on top. This series really is legit, and through it's bumps and bruises and disagreements along the way, how it ended tonight made all of it worth it.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad you brought that up...

BSG 2010! John's Forces finally reach Earth after 150,000 years and is still REALLY pissed off and blows Earth to hell, thus starting the whoel thing over! :lol: