Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

For me, it comes down to the philosophy of learning from your mistakes. If you wipe the slate clean, you're not really doing that. If they keep their knowledge and technology but set out to do something different, I think they'll have better odds.

It's true, there is no precedent either way. We don't know what choice would've been better, clean slate or not. I'll give you that. But, I'd still lean towards the option of retaining your knowledge, etc and learning from past mistakes.

It's true that in the series NYC exists 150,000 years later. But, our society is apparently headed on the same course, but we've lost the knowledge of the cycle and mistakes that were made altogether. I couldn't guarantee you that the other choice would produce a better outcome (who could) but it again goes back to that philosophy of retaining knowlege to learn from your mistakes.

Additionally, I think a huge part of why the colonials had no impact in our history (in the fictional universe) is that most died within a couple of years due to starvation, disease, and injury.

Onto a larger issue, I'm genuinely happy for those for whom this worked. Really. This includes you middyseafort, who I tried extending an olive branch too before. I don't want to rain on your parade and I'm pretty much done discussing the finale; I don't want to belabor points.

The finale and series mostly worked for me. For me, it's one of the most enjoyable series ever. Maybe I've just become a curmudgeon but there are just some things that didn't work for me. These things dampened my personal enjoyment as much as I tried to overlook them. I still gave the finale an Above average. It was a very entertaining episode that is far better than most things available on TV.

In the end, it worked perfectly for a lot of people and it didn't work perfectly for me. I certainly don't want to detract from anyone's enjoyment. But we all have different tastes, different expectations of what would've worked or not worked, different approaches, etc.

Mr Awe

3. Atlantia

Atlantia Cadet Newbie

G'Day All

Gotta say, it took four years for the new series to hook me, fourth season did it!
    As for the ending, it had some outstanding moments.
    For me, 8/10.

4. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because they gave up their advance technology doesn't mean they wiped the slate clean. The kept some of the more rudimentary technology like farming and though they didn't write down their history they must have passed the stories down to their descendants. Eventually these story came down to us as myths. Let's remember human survived for 150,000 compared that to the 10,000 year period between Kobol to Caprica.

5. Mr Awe

^^^ They spread out very diffuse, the majority will die in a couple years, etc. The result is that, today, there is no knowledge of the cycle, what has happened before, etc. We're ready to repeat the same thing from scratch. The Colonials have had no impact.

Yeah, it's 150,000 years because the primitive humans didn't have the technology to destroy themselves but they had plenty of violence. The original Earth humans, Kobol, and the colonies all had the technology.

So, yeah, ditching the tech delayed it but, personally, I don't think it broke the cycle.

In the end we don't really know. You can argue one side and I can argue the other. I think we both enjoyed the finale which is what really counts.

Mr Awe

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There's no knowledge of the cycle because it's been 150,000 years! There's no doubt that information was distorted with the passage of time, and possibly destroyed by any number of events. Nothing in the episode suggest the colonists plan on just forgetting everything. Hell, Lee's "you won't be forgotten, Kara" suggests the complete opposite.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Ah. I just jumped into this thread and did not have the patience to read it all (or even the last couple pages :lol: )

8. Chemahkuu

Chemahkuu Admiral Admiral

Personally I voted Excellent.

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the podcast RDM mentioned he chose 150,000 years ago because having them land at the time of the Greek and or the Roman Empire would have been too "Star Trek", and would only really connect them to Western civilization.

Although if he did do that, it would have directly connected the colonials into Greek/Roman mythology.

-Chris

10. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone else get the feeling Lee was strung up with a primitive pulley mechanism made from the leather of the dead long before he ever managed to climb that mountain?

11. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because if there's anyone you can gang up on, it's Lee Adama. Lee Adama, who fought off about a dozen angry convicts hand-to-hand in "Bastille Day." Lee Adama, who subdued several thugs and assassinated the head of a merciless organized crime ring with nothing more than his fists in "Black Market." Lee Adama, who retook the Battlestar Galactica while wearing a suit and tie in "Blood on the Scales."

Yes, anyone who's lazy enough to bitch about having to pick their own berries could clearly take down Lee Adama.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I still find it interesting that they had everyone in the convoy of ships agree to it.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lee Adama is not Superman.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Like I've been saying, everyone agreeing on giving up their ships is way too Star Trek.

The Colonials in Greece or Rome would have been fun.

"It's frakking Alexander the Great!"

15. Mr Awe

The Colonist's "plan" all but guarantees that the knowledge of the cycle, Cylons, etc will be forgotten by the time humans would need it again the most, when they next develop the technology again.

I think the Colonials should've tried developing a new technological civilization while they still had that fresh in their minds. No way that the Colonials would've forgotten the attacks on the colonies.

Mr Awe

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The colonials forgot the lessons of the First Cylon War just forty years later. If human history proves anything, it's that we have short memories of the past. 150,000 years is a gods damned miracle, really.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

How so?

Yes, they were still using technology, but they weren't building robots with AI to do their bidding.

18. joyofvgr

joyofvgr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought the finale was excellent!

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As the behavior of Baltar and everyone else in the miniseries suggests, they were networking their computers again and well on their way to repeating the same mistakes. At least, that's my read on the scenario.

20. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore