Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Re: Was the ending realistic?

They are doing things differently. They are doing things completely differently. Clean slate does not = the memory wipe of 38,000 people. If anything, technology would have scarred them for life.

Yes. Who cares whether or not they died? They would have died in the fleet or on Earth regardless. The screen has faded to black already. Speculating about what happened is only speculation. Maybe they all made a really good go of it for a while. All that matters in this fiction is the choice that they made. This endless argument about technology/no technology is completely absurd.

And also (just for argument's sake), I have yet to receive a list of all the wonderful technology that the Colonials had upon finding Earth. Surely their algae processors, dwindling sources of medication, and broken FTL drives would have served them very well on Earth. Or maybe they could have dismantled their ships, and built a pre-industrial close-quarters society in which endless violence and strife would have broken out once again because, certainly, desperate people stuck in claustrophobic, moldy dumpsters for four years don't need space to spread out, get some fresh air, eat some real food, and relax. Not if they have "technology", at least. Technology is the solution to all of life's problems. Everything will be okay if humans have their Technology.

2. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YES that was quite shocking. Killed her without any resurrection tech... I wonder if he were to wake up with memories of their marriage that he would feel intense regret?

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a spiffy thought and all but it won't be very helpful for either population for quite some time. If Hera has greater immunity, then Hera, herself, would have protection and *some* of her descendents *might* have protection. But, because she's a child, that won't come into play for a good number of years (she won't reproduce for awhile). Plenty of time for a plague to wipe out large portions of both populations.

Mr Awe

4. Stewey

Stewey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can hardly find words to describe how brilliant this finale was. I feel agreat deal of satisfaction after this ending, a total opposite of the utter disappointment I felt after Endgame. The ending made me feel that the journey taken had meaning and purpose.

I liked that the writers answered many questions while leaving some unanswered. It gives me the chance to create my own thoughts and answers to these questions. It is still sinking in and I will in time be more able to participate in the speculation and debate concerning the individual aspects of the finale and the events over the course of the overall series.

But for now, I rate this as excellent and I would like to thank Ron Moore and his team of writers for producing a brilliant, thought provoking series. I also think that the actors did a brilliant job of believably bringing these characters to life and my thanks go out to you for providing me with 4 excellent seasons of entertainment.

I would like to wish you all the best for your future projects. :)

5. Mr Awe

Interesting and it explains a lot. Many of the problems go down to a lack of focus, a lack of writer discipline, of keeping things tight. They tossed too much up in the air and had no chance of effectively dealing with them all.

Mr Awe

6. Mr Awe

We'll have to agree to disagree but I strongly disagree on both points. A clean slate is not the solution and it didn't work. And, I do care about these characters!

Mr Awe

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

According to Ron Moore, all these different human civilazations had hummers, suits & ties and the same music because they all drew from the same "creative ether" or "collective unconscious" when they developed them. I like that it's all literal with an explanation rather than something done for the viewer's benefit.

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, really!

Keep your frakkin' bridge. I'm not in the market for one, especially from someone who has a hard time acepting that others find the ending plausible in context of the fiction that has been created over the course of four years.

They mutinied and bickered over equipment because, at the time, there was no hope, no planet to settle, and the prospect of spending their entire lives in those flying tin cans. Before that they had some hope and it was shattered by the discovery of Cylon Earth. Their dreams were torn asunder.

Moreover, the series has showed us that the Colonials have clung onto their lives Before the Fall. A few examples: establishing a Quorum; adhering to Colonial military traditions and laws; the jobs they held before the attacks, like the gardners and such on Cloud Nine; presidential elections and the presidency; Colonial designations such as Caprica, Tauron, etc.; and the hierarchy of that society.

And in the background, growing over the four years, this idea that things must change or "all of this has happened and will happen again." For example: Zarek's ideas from the first season on how society has to be redefined and how it was impossible to maintain that lifestyle (he may have been an egotistical ass with delusions of martyrdom but he had a point); Lee's speech at Baltar's trial; the outlaw of abortion; the dangers of vocational inheritance in "Dirty Hands"; and Lee's notion that a new Quorum should be ship-based representation not colony-based.

Because of these examples that I've listed, I do believe that the Colonials once they had planetfall, and particularly this Eden, would be perfectly willing to abandon that which overly complicated their lives and destroyed their civilization. And that there would be a final epiphany... of letting go of their previous lives... the death of the Colonial way of life. And as in Baltar's speech to Cavil, stop the cycle at birth -- in this case, rebirth.

Granted, we didn't get the interstitial conversations and debates that no doubt took place between Lee's proposal in "Daybreak, II" and the acceptance by the fleet. Then again, it wasn't important to moving the story to show that. That it happened was the only thing that needed to be shown from a writerly stand-point, imao.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. Mr Awe

Well, we disagree, to say the least. I'm glad you enjoyed the series. I did overall but obviously have a few more issues over the finale than you.

Mr Awe

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Which I'm fine with and I did state that it "worked for me." I accept that people disagree with the finale, but it was you who insisted on the snark and who seemed to have a "problem" with those who don't come to the same conclusions as you.

I replied in kind and with a detailed, critical analysis of how I found the finale both naturalistic and plausible within context of the fictional world of BSG.

Moreover my other post began with a rhetorical -- what is "realistic" in a fictional story? Certainly, BSG isn't realism by any means, not certainly in the artistic sense as it does not show us the mundane of our daily lives and the world as we know it. It uses the prism of fiction to discuss the things in the zeitgeist, but it presents it in a naturalistic and plausible manner in context of its own world. Naturalistic storytelling and realism (not realistic) storytelling are two different beasts with a great deal of similarity.

11. Mr Awe

Actually, no. I wasn't snarky, I just stated why I disagreed, that the fleet couldn't agree on squat much less something like that. That's the nature of a discussion board.

Mr Awe

12. diankra

diankra Commodore Commodore

There is an awful long time between 150,000 years ago and the supposed fall of Atlantis (which, if the few ancient Greek accounts of it that are the root of the legend are in any sense accurate, had only happened a few generations ago from their point of view, putting it within the last 3,000 years - assuming it actually happened, of course!).
    Colonials keep technology but keep aloof from the natives before something goes wrong circa 500BC is just about credible in SF terms. Colonials abandon technology but are somehow still around 147,500 years later is a bit more of a stretch.

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I was re-watching it, two things I didn't like. Starbuck and Lee on the assault forces rather than in Vipers. The main thing, a lack of a final Adama/Tigh scene, after all the shit they've gone through together - I hope its in the extended cut.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Actually, yes.

You first post in response to something I posted was snarky:

Now that was snarky.

To which I further responded with my long analysis of why I found the ending naturalistic and plausible, then you responded saying that "we disagree..."That I am more than fine with but you started off snarky in the above post. You didn't start off telling me why you disagree instead you posed a question that was meant to be confrontational rather than debatable, especially in your choice of multiple punctuation (?!).

You weren't trying to debate or discuss your point in that instance. You were being confrontational in your approach, railroading rather than engaging. You were being obstinate and smart assed, especially with the "afterthought" of having a metaphorical bridge to sell.

15. Mr Awe

^^^ Yawn, if you say so.

Mr Awe

16. zekkie

zekkie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm gonna venture to say....you didn't get it.

"It's about the characters" This was a great resolution and I'm glad they didn't cater to nitpicks and action freaks (take your "pound of flesh" with the spectacular sfx). The characters finally "lay down their burdens" and "take a break from all their worries" I completely agree that 99.95 percent of the survivors would accept this "clean slate"

*Sorry to everyone for quoting someone's super long rant.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it tonight on Sky 1. I'm not gonna try and read 20 pages of this thread, and knowing this forum I really couldn't care to read others criticisms of it. Especially when I click on the voting poll and see its always the same folk who vote "poor", and the first name that pops up is someone who openly admitted to having only ever seen about 10 mins of the entire show in a previous thread, and yet still seems to think they are worthy of a drive-by trolling.

So all I really have to say about this episode after watching it is...
    [​IMG]
    :techman: :techman: :techman: :techman: :techman:

18. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

"Party on, Bill!"

"Party on, Saul!"

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ They're air guitaring to "All Along The Watchtower" too :lol:

btw, in skimming through these threads, one thing I think fans who are asking "why this, why that, what about him, what about her" etc should remember is that the finale will be extended by a fair bit on DVD. So there may still be extra resolutions and loose ends tied up then

20. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    I was gonna say more, but for now I'll only say this; sheer perfection.