Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Zod

Zod Commander Red Shirt

Re: Was the ending realistic?

Well with 38,000+ people to keep track of some of that tech may have not been given up. I would imagine that not all of them would totally accept it but it would matter not. Enough of it was given up that they would lose the ability to make new stuff. Eventually all tech would have been lost to time. 150,000 years is a long time.

Certainly there were raptors, we know of at least one around near the end- the one Adama flew off in. Even if it sat in a protected place in 150,000 years there would be nothing left of it.

I don't think it too hard a stretch for them to accept the loss of technology. We haven't been through what they had. Their entire society destroyed, and by technology they created. So in the end at the place where they could conceivably go no further I can accept their choice, though if it were me personally I would not be all that happy with it. But since I did not live through what they lived through I can't say that my choice would be different otherwise.

2. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What an excellent unpredictable ending to this once in a lifetime series.

They say the Lord works in mysterious ways and Baltar's story sure proved it. As smarmy as Baltar was I knew he had to be special cause those head visions always gave him good advice.

But for Dr Baltar to be the one to bring about the destruction of a polytheistic system... wander the desert of space for 4 years and with his speech in the TOC to Cavil and tptb in the fleet about a single God like entity controlling events...

...Baltar becomes the center of gravity in creating a monotheist society.

Baltar's like a Noah or Moses.

All through ancient history God picked some very strange people to do his bidding...we may have judged them to be unworthy but in the end they prevailed.

The 2 hour ending was absolutely incredible. Last week I was melancholy over the fast approaching end of the series and couldn't not post my thoughts...now my denial's over.

Thank you RDM...you have given us a masterpiece.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess you could see BSG as Noah's Ark.

-Chris

4. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the word(s) you're looking for is plausible (in the context) and my answer is: absolutely not. Just another sloppy plot choice from a finale filled with them.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Considering Larson's original title for BSG was ADAM'S ARK, that is actually more than just funny.

6. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it might have been plausible given slightly different reasoning than "oh lets just make a fresh start of it".

Using the reasoning given it was stretching it a little imo. You wouldn't think that 38,000 odd people would all be in complete and utter agreement to discard so much technology that, 150000 years later, we have not found a single trace of it.

7. boozebum

boozebum Ensign Red Shirt

No, It wasn't realistic at all.

Ron Moore fanboys keep using "Duh, all their technology was falling apart" as an excuse. They fail to realize even with the basic machine tools they had, they would have easily been able to setup a primitive industrial society. With those primitive tools, they would have been able to make more refined tools, and so on. Instead of 150,000 years, it could have been a few hundred years of development. All their knowledge of the mistakes of the past could have been remembered. The "cycle" could have truly been broken.

Instead they descended into neo-ludditism, which basically guaranteed that most of them would die from disease and starvation. How anybody believes giving up pretty much all your knowledge and history* is "making a clean break" is beyond me. It's running away from your past and dooming thousands of people to death.

* You would think that their history is something would probably want to remember, so that they don't make the same mistakes again, but then again this ending was monumentally retarded.

8. boozebum

boozebum Ensign Red Shirt

This is another point I forgot to bring up. And since they all spoke one language (English I presume?) surely all the languages on earth descended form one language? It's funny because that isn't what historians and linguists say. What a contrived ending.

9. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont think they spoke English at all. Nor was Galactica written in English...but it was used to make the story workable and accessible to viewers.

10. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

And all the people who completely missed the point of the story fail to realize that Lee and the Colonials decided that rebuilding a new society exactly like the one they just lost would defeat the point of beginning with a clean slate. Whether or not they caught diseases after the screen faded to black is irrelevant. What's important is that they decided for a change. If you've watched the series at all, the pre-Cylon New Caprica disaster illustrates their struggles in building a new society from scratch pretty well.

It's also blatantly stated by Lee during his bit about human technology moving faster than the human ability to control it. Just because you personally take issue with humans giving up technology after the apocalypse doesn't mean it is "monumentally retarded"

11. cultcross

cultcross Janitor of the Mind Palace Moderator

Although apparently I'm a "RDM fanboy" for pointing it out, by far the most plausible result of something like that happening 150,000 years ago is that we would have no clues whatsoever. Our primary evidence from that time is incredibly sketchy - it would have been mighty coincidental if we had found something. We can't even agree on when the ice ages happened because of absent or apparently contradictory evidence - a few modern humans living on Earth for a couple of hundred years (say) would hardly make a mark.

Where did you get this from? Dialogue clearly states that the early humans on nuEarth were pre-lingual. This isn't just because they hadn't thought it would be a neat idea yet - humans at this stage were physically incapable of speaking, especially something as complex as English. You might as well say that orang-utans must speak English because they live in zoos with English speakers.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Newbie

I found it to be quite plausible, given the situation they were in. For most of the humans, after living for four years in cramped, dirty tin cans and in the New Caprica tent city and subsisting on algea, the abundant vistas of Africa probably seemed like a fracking paradise. It's quite easy for me to believe they would happily destroy the fleet, if for nothing else to ensure that they were never forced to leave their new home.

The day-to-day life of the colonists must have been absolutely horrible during the run of the show. The main characters were off having adventures, but for Joe Colonial working on the tylium ship 12 hours a day it must have been a living hell.

It seems perfectly plausible to me that people who have endured four years of this existence would be very, very amenable to giving it up and embracing a simple agrarian lifestyle.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

For most of them it would probably be a step up in life. And in terms of labor, not much of a change from processing ore, or salvaging materials from waste, what have you.

14. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

It worked for me in the emotional context of the story and its characters, but I don't care to think about it too much. :lol:

15. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How come Cavil and Simon couldn't figure out resurrection, anyway? They already appear to have mind-reading and mind-manipulation technology, which is basically all resurrection is. They have thousands or millions of people with apparently genius-level intellects, they couldn't figure out with their millions of man-hours what Ellen Tigh was able to grasp in a single lifetime? It's sad when Galen Tyrol is the most intelligent man to survive the end of the world.

If they really can't figure out the technology they've used for forty years already, though, I suppose it just goes to show that Cavil's anger at Ellen's poor workmanship was completely justified.

It did? Humans have not, historically, been incredibly violent toward one another?

16. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is monumentally stupid. It is monumentally stupid because they've thrown away the moral lessons that they've learned along with their technology. When thy left Kobol, they failed to accurately document their history, leaving nothing but religious scrolls to give them any understanding of their past. As a result, the Colonists make the exact same mistakes that the people of Kobol made. The same was true with the people of Earth.
    If Lee wanted to "break the cycle" he should have done it by ensuring that the past would be remembered, and not repeated. Rather, he ensured that the past would be forgotten, and merely delayed the inevitable.

New Caprica lasted for a year before the Cylons invaded. In that time, they did provide for basic necessities. And they set up schools. You can't expect them to construct Rome overnight.

17. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

^ Seriously? You think history books provide a civilization with the keen ability to keep from making the same mistakes of their predecessors? Do you really, seriously think that?

Not to mention, that there is nothing to suggest that any aspiring historians or writers did not try to document the Colonial journey. There are a million things that the ending implies, and very, very few of them were necessary to show in the ending of the BSG story. You're grasping at straws with this and it seems like you just want to hate the show.

18. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

When I watch a TV show, I always turn my Suspension of Disbelief key on. And lo and behold, it works!
    :)

19. 1001001

1001001 Let the Good Times Roll!! Moderator

I have been squirreling away the last BSG episodes on TiVo for a while. Today, I watched the last five hours of the series.

I thought it was pretty good. There were points during the run where I thought about giving up, but I had to see how it ended. Overall I'm satisfied.

Starbuck the Angel? Hmmm.... okay, I can live with that I guess.

Roslin's death was handled pretty nicely. A bit understated, which was good. Not too drawn out or weepy.

I think if they had ended right after the wide pull back shot of Adama talking to Roslin at her grave ('it reminds me of you") it would have been great. The last scene was confusing and seemed tacked on and heavy handed.

Otherwise, a good ending I think.

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a self-confessed Ron Moore fanboy and I have never made such a claim. We know they didn't completely give up all their technology just the most advanced parts of it which involved electricity and the like. We can clearly see that they built some corrugated iron huts to live in, so I see no reason to believe they abandoned everything.