Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever heard of the Toltecs in anything but the BSG opening...

2. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

re: the scene where they're planning to establish multiple colonies to ensure the best possible survival - erm... the Australian outback and the Himalayas?

3. Timby

Timby LIKE LIGHTNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING Administrator

The finale was the biggest ad for Scientology ever.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Heheh.

5. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Not Scientology, Mormonism. Upon which much of the TOS BSG mythology was based.

6. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

I'd bet the names were chosen for how they sound. The wikipedia article about Toltecs says they may have been mythical ancestors of indigenous Meso-Americans, so the mention of Mayans is perhaps redundant. That ancient peoples believed in ancestors we can't find evidence of is neatly consistent with BSG mythology.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Well, since one of the Star Trek XI constant bitchers gave this episode a poor, I can only hope the upcoming Trek movie is as good. :lol:

8. daddymouse

daddymouse Commander Red Shirt

You know, watching it the first time, I was a little underwhelmed by a few things. However, having now rewatched it, taking time to look at the small things, make the connections and take it all in slowly, I have to say, BRAVO Mr. Moore! A masterpiece, well done. Thank you SO much for bringing it to us.

Now...when do the DVD's come out??

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Read "The Four Agreements."

It will reshape the way you see the world. In a good way.

10. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent. Terrific. It gave the series an actual ending, not just a final episode called "series ender". Better than All Good Things, What We Leave Behind. It pushed TaTV even further down the list of series ender.

Loved it when I looked at the clock after Hera was finally rescued and there were 30 minutes left. Adama and Roslin, Lee and Starbuck (especially), Tigh and Ellen, Athena, Helo, and Hera, Chief Tyrol, even Baltar and Six, all with discernible wrap ups. Wonderful.

Boomer ( I liked Boomer) even got a final little heroic end which was precisely placed into context. Loved Starbuck finally realizing that she was still there to lead the humans to "Earth". And the discovery that BSG occurs in a land far far away, and a long time ago, and showing us the seeds of the whole fiasco happening again, well I just smiled.

Best series ender I've ever seen.

Congrats Ron Moore (nice cameo) and the entire production staff and cast, and thank you.

11. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

I had to add I was kind of surprised for the happy ending. Never expected that!

Voted excellent.
    Well it was till the last "a la matrix" final minute of the show.
    bah, I will ignore one bad min and Kara's being the "its a wonderful life" good angel and all, cause the finale and the show in total gave us so many great moments.
    It's so sad it is over. Excellent work from everyone involved. Thank you.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And one rated it excellent, so where does that leave you?

13. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

I caught it immediately, since I had just seen his face for the first time in the special.

I also caught the original BSG theme as the Galactica heads toward the sun.

Also, did anyone see a resemblance between the map representation of the Cylon colony, and a couple of shots of it that looked like the Shadow ships from Babylon 5?
    --------------------
    Overall, the ending was a mix. Some OK, some brilliant, some seeming like it was just I ideas they threw up in a brainstorm without any dramatic or mythological conception, and maybe some of both of the latter. I'm not sure.

14. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Above Average. Individual constituent threads were hampered by their lack of coherency, and the unfortunate dichotomy between plot and character so prevalent in S4 reached its apotheosis with a speech from Baltar so glib that it would've made even Picard blush. I don't fault the writers for failing to address the various issues surrounding Cylon and Colonial mythology in a satisfactory manner, I fault them for raising those issues to such prominence in the first place.

The character work was, as always, handled very well. Emotionally the episode hit all the right notes, although there were hints of ROTK syndrome towards the end. Tyrol's resolution was one I was particularly grateful for, having been concerned that his character would be given short shrift in the finale, whilst on the other hand I would've liked to have had one last scene between Kara and Leoben.

BSG has been a wonderful and rewarding journey for me these past five years, and I'm grateful to RDM and co. for the light they've brought to the genre, yet I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also grateful that it's over, that the last page has been turned and the book closed. It was time for BSG to end, and I'm grateful that for the most part it managed to do so gracefully. Thanks for everything.

My ratings for S4.5:
    Excellent: "The Oath".
    A. Average: "Sometimes a Great Notion", ""A Disquiet Follows My Soul", "Blood on the Scales", "Daybreak Pt. 1", "Daybreak Pt. 2".
    Average: "No Exit", "Someone to Watch Over Me".
    B. Average: "Deadlock", "Islanded in a Stream of Stars".
    Poor: None.

If the finale had been divided into "Daybreak Pt. 2" and "Daybreak Pt. 3" I'd likely have rated the former as Average and the latter as Excellent.

15. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it.

16. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fucking awesome.

Like Cogley says, if you don't like it - fair play to you. I don't care.

Loved every minute of it. Battlestar Galactica through and through. When Tyroll started throttling Tory and everthing went to shit my jaw hit the floor. The finale was incredibly dark in parts, and yet had such a wonderful ending.

Far too much for my brain to digest. Its 1.22 in the am here and I'm giving serious consideration to watching the thing again.

:techman:

17. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

Loved it all the way up to the jump to Earth. After that it started to unravel. The Colonists give up their technology in exchange for a life of subsistence farming at best and a hunter gatherer existence at worst.:rolleyes: And everybody goes along with this? Not one person says I kind'a like electricity and refrigeration. Not one person objects and says that it be nice to have a tractor?

18. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well someone may have objected...but that someone may have been a no body...and Lee Adams may have said, well if you like it so much go hang out with Anders...right into the sun.

And said I loved it but I felt the end was so lonely. For all these people to scatter to the winds...and for Bill and Lee Adama to part like that was (I don't understand why they'd never see each other) very sad.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was in England when The Sopranos ended so I had get a recording of it to watch once I got back. When it just cut to black I thought that the recording was screwed up until the credits started to roll about 40 seconds later. I just sat there asking myself "What did I just watch?" because I didn't know how to feel.

I feel the same way tonight having witnessed the end of Battlestar Galactica.

There are unanswered questions, and as an atheist I should be completely opposed to any ending which says "God did it", but I'm not complaining. The only quibbles I have about this episodes is that the Colonials could take out Cavil's centurions without using explosive rounds like they had to back in season 2, and the idea that humans had managed to evolve on two different planets. Out of this whole finale I have two minor complaints, I even loved the ending with the robots.

As the days went past after the finale to The Sopranos I found myself liking it more and more until I eventually realised that it was the perfect ending to that series. I am absolutely certain that I will feel the same way about BSG in a few days. This is the ending that this show deserved.

I voted Excellent because I know that this episode deserves it, and in the thirty minutes that has gone by since the ending credits my fondness for this episode grows. I don't think I should have voted just yet because I'm still soaking it all in, but I really wanted to see everyone else's vote.

I can't wait until the final season is out on DVD and I can rewatch the whole journey again from start to finish with no interruptions, but right now I have one thing left to say; Goodbye Battlestar Galactica.

20. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

That part was ridiculous.