Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People noticed Moore's cameo at the end, right?

Don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet (though I could have missed somebody's post).

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Re: The Ending.

It could be worse. At least it didn't cut to black in mid...

(Moore said around the time that The Sopranos ended he thought that was one of the best endings he'd ever seen)

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    IMO, the point was that they were both old, alone and unhappy.

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Maybe possibly, but i do wonder if we would have advanced so quickly without their influence. Apparently the natives didn't have a language, so the Colonials might have taught them language.

5. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Ok. That's slightly more interesting. With headsix's line about it all being numbers...that if you run a simulation long enough something random will pop up (or whatever she said). Thinking along those lines, maybe it's all a recurring experiment.

Still, I feel if they gave us a tad bit more to go on about this "god" (other than "it doesn't like to be called God) then we could have a lot more satisfying ending AND we could have fun daydreaming about what it could possibly be.

6. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think there were too many questions unanswered. That being said I do agree that there were questions that left you connecting the dots. That could be interperted as good or bad. Just depends on what type of outcome the viewer was expecting. If you expect the best - you get the worst. If you expect the worst ( which I was ) you get something that was not as bad as you thought it was.;)

7. Lrning2fly07

Lrning2fly07 Cadet Newbie

Yea I immediately though, why couldn't they just have had Galactica crash on Earth after jumping too close in, so that's why they had to give up technology when most of their equipment was destroyed in the crash. And they couldn't find the rest of the fleet, so they'd be on their own. I know I wouldn't give up technology....

8. Kelso

After spending four years of my life stuck a crappy space-ship on the run from killer robots... I totally would.

9. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it wasn't accidental. All the main events, from the destruction of the colonies to the destruction of The Colony were orchestrated by "god".

---------------

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get why Adama would want to live in isolation and not see Lee or Tigh again. What if Lee had children?

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Who is to say he never came back though, we don't know

12. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But I want answers to every question raised on a tv show for the most part. We never learned what was the point of Anders looking like he was going to recover, then his brain activity ceased and then it returned. We never learned why out of millions of Cylon humanoids on Earth why were those Five chosen.

If nothing else I wouldn't have minded them bringing in the Ship of Lights.

It just was one thing that has held the series back. Moore isn't very good at handling plot. It isn't the mess that the X-Files mythology became but it is unsatisfying and I feel like he was lazy.

And if the quote in this thread from him is accurate about the show being about characters and not plot or answers then he should have made never attempted to fashion a mythology. I didn't like it.

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think you guys are being too hard on the guy, he made a good show :shrug:

14. Kelso

Adama isn't coming back. He is waiting to die so he can cross that river and see Laura again.

He would see Tigh or Lee, anyway. Lee will be off exploring the world, climbing mountains, etc. and Tigh will be off inventing fermentation so he can get shit-faced (he deserves it).

15. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I definately noticed, but it didn't occur to me until now that that could ATUALLY BE RDM IN the actual episode, not just playing an extra. Because now this is really our Earth, and that could just be the actual human named Ronald D. Moore reading a newspaper in Vancouver, while visiting the set of the TV show he produces called Batt.... oh my head just exploded.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I had a similar thought. Remember he did want to end DS9 with Benny Russell sitting on the DS9 soundstage.

17. DrEvil

DrEvil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disappointed to say the least. I was hoping that despite comments that the writers didn't save everything for the finale, that they lied but turns out they were right.

The first hour or so was great, but at the moment when they should have started resolving issues that we've waited almost six years for they cop out. When the opera house scenes solidified into the Galactica hallway/CIC I really was hopeful and having chills that they were going to bring this show to some decent resolution. Instead, it sputtered out and died when Starbuck turned the FTL key.

I'm a firm believer in God in the real world, but throwing the whole God/angel explanation out in a TV show just seems like "oh we wrote so many things that can't tie together, let's just give up...the show can't get cancelled now, so what?". God being used as the plot device would even have been fine if it had been meaningful, but they really just hacked together an ending.

I'm not going to rehash everything that has been said, but I do have one question no one has seemed to bring up....what about all the other skinjobs in the galaxy? Presumably there are still a LOT of baseships out there still, not all of them were destroyed in the colony explosion. They sort of left the million other Cavils, et al. hanging in limbo forever.

The came up with an amazing show that I've really enjoyed over the years, but just like so many other writers in this day and age, no one can seem to come up with an intelligent ending to a movie or TV show these days.

18. AlanC9

AlanC9 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This one we know. The Five rediscovered the technology. Anders explicitly said this in "No Exit".

19. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But they didn't re-invent the technology until after the entitites appeared to them and warned them of the coming holocaust.

20. AlanC9

AlanC9 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not forever, just until they die. They can't reproduce, and they didn't get resurrection tech. So they're done.