Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

71.9%
  2. Above Average

14.2%
  3. Average

4.8%
  4. Below Average

4.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's touching, but you'll need to work a little harder at defining the exact ooginess of it all - statutory rape is a very modern concept.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I think that's a little unfair. "The Chase" is an insult to real science. "Daybreak," at least, may be walking the line, but it isn't outright offensive like "The Chase" was.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The Chase was the way they explained the makeup budget.

4. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh. That's what I'm feeling right now. Lots of questions unanswered, which I figured. RDM pretty much said that everything wouldn't be tied up with a nice bow on it. But, IMO, there were TOO MANY unanswered questions left when the credits rolled. Given the overall lack of forward plot movement over the last two or three episodes, the writers could have taken the time to start answering things early since they obviously weren't going to have time to answer everything in the finale.

I feel a little bummed that the opera house visions we've been seeing since season one weren't more. I'm disappointed that no explanation was given for Starbuck's death and resurrection, why her father knew "All Along the Watchtower", how her Viper was re-created, what lay in the space between life and death, and who Starbuck was talking about when she told Apollo "they're waiting for me" shortly before her death in "Maelstrom". I mean, seriously.... NOTHING?!

The character moments at the end were nice. The scene where Starbuck and Apollo say goodbye to Adama and Roslin was beautiful. Starbuck disappearing into thin air was unexpected - but as mentioned above, I wanted more explanation before she left.

As for the ending, I guess I understand how it fits into the context of the series. But it isn't the ending I would have given it.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Right after Dualla's suicide it struck me that BSG suffers from a bit of the "women in refrigerators" syndrome, yeah.

6. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Pretty much any twist ending would have been preferable to what we got if you ask me.

I would much rather be arguing the merits of some attempted twist...even if it failed completely than be saying to people who ask me what Galactica is all about: "you find out in the end that God is moving things around".

So bland.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

No, "The Chase" was the way they explained the whole fucking "Star Trek Universe" from "The Cage" forward. :lol:

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Did they show who killed Boomer? Maybe I looked down for a second but they didn't seem to show who shot her, then they did her flashback and moved on.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

No.

You find out in the end that "God" might be moving things about. :guffaw:

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Athena

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wonder what happened to Seelix after the mutiny. Did she take Adam's offer like Skulls and Racetrack, or did she stay in prison? Did she volunteer for the rescue mission, or did she stay with the fleet?

12. Robert Maxwell

I know that, it's just a subject they really should never have covered. Tim Lynch did a review of it after its original airing which goes into great detail as to why it's a terrible depiction of science.

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe we'll see in the extended version.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Star Trek is a terrible depiction of science.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I knew that was coming.:cool:

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

So did I somehow.

17. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would have been interesting if we had seen Bulldog sometime over the course of the finale/battle. Would've been a nice callback to "Hero."

18. Robert Maxwell

It is usually a terrible depiction of fake science. In the case of "The Chase," it also happened to be a gross affront to real science, specifically, using the "grand design" fallacy to explain evolution.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there's another one! Dude never showed up again. The fleet needed as many pilots as it could get, and Bulldog spent enough time with the Cylons to have some understanding of them.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. Guess some things never change.

As for the question...about how realistic *any* fictional TV show's depiction of science may be, I'll be sure and put on my 'CARE' face once I find it. :p