Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Grade Blood & Chrome...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

43.1%
  3. Average

19.5%
  4. Below Average

2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pst

pst Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

you and the producers and everyone else. the specific dates were always in flux from the miniseries on down to caprica.

was just reading an old post on bear mccreary's site in which he said he said there was a bunch of talk during the production of razor about whether or not to include the line indicating that it was adama's first mission - which just so happened to be the last day of the cylon war. for his part he was against its inclusion and it specifically contradicts what we're seeing on B&C. he also said he considered razor, the plan, caprica and blood & chrome apocryphal. seems a little extreme.

i actually found myself enjoying what little of B&C there was, despite my reservations. it's nowhere near the quality of BSG or caprica or even the plan (and that's saying something), but it works as a webseries and as another little grace note to the BSG saga and i'm looking forward to more. glad to have some material to add to the BSG wiki too.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Plan seems an odd one to consider apocryphal since it mostly seems to be about making sense of what the Cylons were doing.

4. pst

pst Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

funnily the plan is the only one of those i wish was apocryphal.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched the first two episodes. Wow. I absolutely loved the look of it. Seeing Galactica in its prime is a real treat. As someone who actually liked Galactica, I enjoyed the various references to it.

Checking out the cast list, there's a lot of familiar faces from previous BSG episodes here.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When is the third episode out?

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

16th US time.

Machinima just released the release schedule:

16/11 eps 3 & 4

23/11 eps 5 & 6

30/11 eps 7 & 8

7/12 eps 9 & 10

Why it's not simply a 5 part web series is beyond me.

Or just one big movie for that matter...

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I assume they're serializing it to cater to internet audiences, which prefer things in short bursts. The full movie version is coming out on home video -- and may air on the SyFy Channel at some point in the future?

9. teacake

Oh right, thanks. It's the 16nth here now guess I have to wait for tomorrow.

I'll just sit here and jitter until I get it.

10. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Kegg

^
    Enjoyed it too, definite improvement from last week (which I also liked).

Blood & Chrome is really nuBSG at its most mil sci-fi, more than any previous title. The career of a young officer and his combat missions, military strategy and deployments, etc. It's executing this fairly well though so no complaints.

Coker's scene humanising him by meeting an old friend was well handled if again, kind of fitting into that mode.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I enjoy how they have returned to including military jargon in the dialog in a similar vein to how the NuBSG pilot was written. It made me feel like this was a living, functioning vessel of war.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well still good. Now if they could just hurry up and release the next parts.

14. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far so good. Lots of tension and the virtual sets don't look nearly as hokey as I expected. That said, the characters are pretty thin and the 'need-to-know' stuff is threadbare. I also wonder how much I'm missing because I didn't watch Caprica beyond the pilot. There seem to be an awful lot of references to the Greystone company.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Haven't seen the latest, but there was also mention in the first ep of Adama's father being involved with the Ha'la'tha as well - the Tauron Mafia - strictly a Caprica storyline, although not terribly critical to the plot in this series. I suspect much of it is simply designed to reaffirm to all viewers that they're tying elements of both series together with this one.

16. Kegg

All you really need to know about Caprica so far:

1. The Greystone company were the people who built the Cylons, so to have worked for them probably means having a role in Cylon creation.

2. Joseph Adama was not just a lawyer, but a mob lawyer, in that he had ties to the Ha'la'tha, an ethnically Tauron mafia-type criminal organization.

That's pretty much it, and so far neither plot point has been important and I doubt either will.

17. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Time to get nerdy...I'll be first to comment: First really good look at a truly new, confirmed class of Colonial military vessel and what appears to be a full Battlestar group. Is that a different type of Cylon basestar as well?

18. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The basestar and the raiders look to be homages to the original BSG series, much like they were in Razor. I was very impressed with the virtual sets for the Galactica's hangar bay, it really made it come to life.

19. teacake

gah the site that posted the last two for Australian viewers has not posted the next one.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Parts 3 and 4, while not as enthralling as 1 and 2 are decent entertainment all the same. The fleet of ships reported lost or destroyed operating covertly in Cylon space is a cool idea. I also like that we're finally seeing other Colonial warships that aren't battlestars.

The Osiris itself seems like they're trying to go for the same kind of atmosphere they did with the Demetrius in season 4. Cramped and cluttered interior, everyone wheres the casual uniforms and appear to be dirty and or sweaty.

Recycling actors continues. The Osiris commander is Sgt. Hadrian, Captain Kelly is a bridge officer, and Narcho plays another Viper pilot.