Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Grade Blood & Chrome...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

43.1%
  3. Average

19.5%
  4. Below Average

2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    While I doubt there is anything that would compel me to watch Caprica again (just way too messy and unfocused of a plotline) - I'm really pleased to see its influence in B&C, and pleased that I invested the time in Caprica to understand just what it means when Adama's organized crime family background is brought up. Definitely adds depth to the story thus far - especially when the attractive programmer brings up her work on the Cylons.

Count me in as someone having a difficult time accepting why Syfy was so quick to close down any possibility for this series going forward. Unless the pilot goes completely off the rails in the remaining installment, the only possible reason for not continuing the show is cost. I know the business is all about bottom line - but I see a HUGE potential upside for this show. It has a chance to reach audiences on a visceral level, without being bogged down in the melodrama of nBSG or Caprica.

ETA:
    I thought the clangs and clunks used to hide the profanity were rather amusing. Kinda ingenious.

2. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched it. Loved it. Need more of it. I liked how much they managed to tie in "Caprica" with so little time per episode. Also, Mike Dupod is in everything apparently. BSG, B&C, SGA, SGU, FUD and probably more that I'm missing. I'm creating a theory called Mike Dupod theory, which states that BSG, Stargate, and Halo all occur in the same universe and that they occur in the past, present, and future, respectively.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

SyFy turned the series down because it was too expensive, I think. They just couldn't afford to do it on a weekly basis.

I wish they could afford to do a few telemovies, though. By dumping this online (and on home video, a market that hasn't exactly been doing well lately) they're being pretty clear about their intentions: this is it.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But don't they realize we will recognize Mike Dupod from BSG and get confused?

He's very distinctive. Has a great presence. But as soon as I saw him all I could think was OMG IS HE A CYLON?!

5. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

The Vancouver actor's pool is limited obviously. My suspension of disbelief works pretty well in that case.

6. teacake

Plus who wouldn't to stare at Mike Dupod some more?

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

According to longtime BSG executive producer David Eick, Blood & Chrome was always meant to be a web series. SyFy did briefly consider several options--including it being straight-to-DVD or something that could be a traditional on-air series--but decided to stick with the original plan. Somehow, though, this got leaked out onto the 'net and turned into the idea that it was a failed TV series pilot when it never was one at all.

Co-Creator & Executive Producer David Eick:
    "I think where the confusion [about Blood and Chrome not being a web series] came in was the network, after seeing the scripts, said, ‘Gee, we don’t want to rule out the possibility of just abdicating [to] the online venture altogether..."
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...e-creator-star-tease-cylons-caprica-spoilers/

Personally, from all indications I've seen, it seems B&C works best as a web series since it was structured that way, IMO.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Or a doppelganger :) That's how I get round the Vancouver actors.

9. teacake

It's as bad as Australia. Though we don't have any sci fi so we aren't frantically searching for extra-reality reasons to explain it.

10. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

It didn't look too weird to me. A combination of Viper's acceleration and small rockets on the canopy makes it look like there's wind drag. Canopies are jettisoned backwards in modern fighters even when they are sitting on the ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-RcMEDLu7Y&feature=related

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I always thought the Pegasus flight simulators were basically a variation of flight simulators that exist in the real world. And let's be honest, if we ever saw them in the series, that's how they would have been shown.

As others have pointed out, Vancouver productions are constantly re-using actors. Mike Dopud has had four roles in the Stargate franchise, two of which worked for the Lucian Alliance. Not to mention Caprica re-used quite a few actors who had well-known recurring roles on BSG. And on top of that, Ryan Robbins had two roles within BSG itself (Charlie Connor throughout seasons 3 and 4, Armistice officer in the mini) and a role on Caprica.

No, there's nothing unusual about Dopud being here. Though I am disappointed that this is another jerk role which he seems to be typecast in. Aside from his character on SGU everyone he's played that I've seen him is a jerk.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well so far this thing is good.

13. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

I'm encouraged to read what I'm reading - people are saying 'it's fun' which is a great sign... though others are saying that they want to watch Caprica again, which surprises me.
    Caprica wasn't fun. Watching Caprica made me feel like I was watching someone go to work. I found the pacing pedantic, with little or no payoff for the buildup in each episode.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can wait until these are all released and watch them at once or if I'm too weak... :)

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's this old girlfriend, who was terrible, who keeps insisting that she should reenter your life in a big way, that you would rather ignore, but then after spending half an hour in a broom closet with some world shaking event of a woman who then wanders off, you wonder if getting regularly attended to is worth the payoff of spending time with that first woman who you are not entirely fond of.

I have no idea why they made Caprica like they did, when they could have been doing this.

Even the Doctor from Voyager bitching about holocivilliberties for maybe three sporadic episodes was more on message than Caprica about the rise of the Cylons.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody else the tattoo on Adama's back in the shower scene? (I think it was a tattoo anyway.) Did we ever see Bill Snr naked back, with said tattoo?

16. teacake

Yep I noticed that tattoo right away. Do we see Adama without his shirt on in the boxing ep? The tattoo looked in a similar style to Kara's geometrical step tattoo.

As to Caprica, I enjoyed it it for it's world building, showing us the cities and lifestyle that the BSG folk had completely lost.

17. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No... thank God. Or whatever.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We should ask Stewie Griffen, he'd know.

19. teacake

We need a screenshot of young Adama's tatt. We have five more days to pore over the 23 minutes of Blood and Chrome available to us before the next 12 minutes (or less) of new material drops.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Was nice to see the starboard flightpod in use, too.