Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Grade Blood & Chrome...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

43.1%
  3. Average

19.5%
  4. Below Average

2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

Sanctuary apparently had a 39 week cycle to produce an episode from start to finish, but, they had a routine down, with numerous episodes in the pipeline at a time, in different stages. So, I'm guessing even having "Standing CGI Set Files" doesn't really make the process fly quickly. Yea, the intention was to save money, but, I think they were surprised by the resources involved (IE: you could do it cheaper, but, it would take forever. To get it done on a TV Series schedule you'd need to throw more resources at it, which would drive the cost up)

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do think it would be quicker. One would assume the VFX team has already established a workflow and the majority of assets have been created (ships, sets etc). and creative re-use of 'stock footage' could eventually make it a smooth operation. The slow part would be the final rendering and composition.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Not bad. While nothing about this jumps out and makes me say "totally awesome" webisodes 1 and 2 were decent and enjoyable.

On th nitpick side, the Viper simulator Adama was in at the start of webisode 1 seems just a bit too advanced for this point in the BSG verse. That thing could rival Trek holodecks.

Expanded hangar deck and CIC annoy me a bit. Okay, yes, this is supposed to be Galactica in its hey day as opposed to the series which showed Galactica about to be retired. But all they seem to be doing is showing off differences which otherwise have no real relevance to the plot. This feels like whenever Star Trek does alternate futures where we see the ship look different and dwell on it for no particular reason.

And speaking of Star Trek, Adama gazing out the window at Galactica for the first time was total Trek XI. Although I did enjoy the music playing, a combination of the drumbeats from the BSG mini and the classic BSG theme. That was cool.

Having the swear words get covered over with sound effects got annying very quickly, I'll be glad to have the unrated version when its out so that I can actually hear the words. Particularly stupid was one point in part 1 where Coker refers to his former pilot as an asshole, and the tool noice of censorship covers up the "hole" part. So saying "ass" is okay, but "hole" has to be censored out? What's the point of this anyway, didn't SyFy allow swearing in its previous BSG webisodes? At the very least, I remember hearing cocksucker in the Razor webisodes.

And finally, I'm sick of all the damn lens flares.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'm diggin' it.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country. "

HELP ME

gah.. so anyone found a way around this?

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really, it actually seems like a clunkier version of the holobands from Caprica.

I just finished the first two episode and enjoyed them. On occassion, the CGI sets were a little distracting, but not bad. I'll definitely check out the episodes as the come out, see the whole thing on Syfy, and pick it up (assuming the remaining episodes don't turn into a dumpster fire, of course).

It's definitely great to be hearing some new BSG scores from McCreary again!

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the first two webisodes. I don't get why SyFy didn't run with this.

8. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't have a problem with it. They were showing Galactica as a brand new boat before all the postwar technology regressions.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That wasn't terrible. And terrible is what I expected based on how much this series has been dicked around. The webisode format is pretty frustrating.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Was surprised that it wasn't geo-locked to "US only".

11. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Watched #2, gimme more.

Not seeing the tone and depth of the BSG, but that would come over time.

Hopefully they'll, at the very least, create a handful more of 90 minute movies to amortize all the money they dumped into this.That'd make a nice companion to BSG and Caprica, a nice little set of 4-6 movies, each with it's own story, but building up to a bigger arc.

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Pegasus has simulators on board but Galactica didn't. Just means that by the time the fall of the colonies rolled round Galactica had gotten rid of hers.

Just because we never saw any on screen doesn't mean they weren't as advanced as that.

13. Candlelight

I loved it, I thought the CGI was great and not too obvious (like parts of the remake of V was). I liked how the flight deck was more busier back then.

One thing that sticks out is Galactica's design: she has full armor in this movie. Yet in two years time she has been stripped of the armor down to her ribs - and yet she's still in the war. Doesn't make sense, unless she has to undergo an emergency refit etc and the armor simply isn't put back.

Can't wait for "episode" 3.

14. teacake

Okay thanks to another member I have watched it. Loved it. Confused over Mike Dopud being cast as yet another character. In a world featuring many copies this seems an odd choice unless it's supposed to mean something. Lots of Caprica in this.

15. ElimParra

ElimParra Invader Premium Member

^ I was kinder annoyed when I couldn't see it either (as were some Australians I know). Started telling people about that link.

Anyways, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

16. Candlelight

Bizarre, region locked for Australia but not New Zealand.

17. teacake

It made me want to watch Caprica again.

18. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually quite enjoyed it. I didn't think I'd get back into the whole BSG world very quickly, but after a few minutes I did. Now I'm eager for the next webisode!

19. teacake

That is a very fine avatar Captain Fine..

20. ElimParra

ElimParra Invader Premium Member

I posted that on twitter.

Same here. I had to return Caprica back to the library this morning. Also, watched just a little of it in full screen, as I saved the files with an extension I use in firefox. Awesome.