Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Grade Blood & Chrome...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

43.1%
  3. Average

19.5%
  4. Below Average

2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Agreed on pretty much everything. I too waited for he DVD to be released. I think it would be great if they did a couple/few more movies, and beefed up Luke Pasqualino, while changing him from a smartass punk into the Bill Adama we know

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

How much more would it be to do quality movies of BSG vs. those crappy D&D movies they produced a few years back?

Also, these movies probably sell DVDs better too.

3. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Their Saturday night "cheesy B-movies" are very popular and always profitable. BSG is critically acclaimed buy not very profitable.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think if we were to get any more of this, one priority should be to have Pasqualino put on some muscle mass. Granted, he was only like 21 when he filmed B&C, but both Nico Cortez and Edward James Olmos were pretty brawny guys, so Pasqualino should bulk up a bit.

I really hope the Blu-ray/DVD sales do well enough to convince Syfy to fund another one of these. I'd love to see more of the Cylon War, and I imagine now that the production has done probably most of the legwork (building the digital sets, rendering various ships, etc.) in B&C, a sequel would be cheaper or at least easier to produce.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching it. I don't think it held up as well on second viewing. I agree the first half stuff, particularly on Galactica, was the best part. Deleted scenes weren't bad, even without the FX. We even get another reference to Caprica.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I finally saw the unrated version on blu-ray, profanity and all. So here we go…

- The movie was quite visually stunning. It looked fantastic for a greenscreen web series. The integration of live actors with cgi scenery and effects was seamless in almost every instance. This wasn't "Battlestar Sanctuary" as I feared it would be. The only thing I didn't like were the lens flares and the brightness at the beginning. That was distracting.

- The story was pretty weak. If Caprica had too much drama and no action, this was the opposite… Too much action and no drama. You don't solve a problem by going to the opposite extreme. If this went to series, I think it would have become another single-season show. Things did pick up story wise in the last 15 minutes though. I also liked the question asked at the beginning… "Why do they hate us?"

- All the action was making me appreciate Caprica a little more and wanting to check it out again.

- Luke Pasqualino was good. I didn't have any issues with him or his size. I did take note of him being eclipsed by Mike Dopud though. Olmos was never a big man anyway, but he had a big presence and Pasqualino had enough energy to keep the action moving and make me believe that he was a young Adama.

- It's nice to have a taste of the war as part of the saga even if the story was weak.

- I do wish we could find out what became of the Graystones and their company. Creating a race of genocidal robots is a pretty big deal and I'd love to know what the fallout from that was like. I especially want to know what happened to Zoe.

- The movie I bought included both a DVD and a blu-ray version. I wonder why they did that. There's also 29 minutes of deleted scenes. I'll have to watch those when I can.

And have him gargle with rocks to get the voice? :lol:

He's in everything. He's the new Callum Keith Rennie. :p

So that was her voice. :bolian:

The sex was pretty tame on the blu-ray. Brief and little skin outside of Adama with his shirt off. I didn't see what it was like in the webisode.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Nothing wrong with a little dedication from an actor who goes the extra mile to get a part just right ;)

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Rated Awesome By 9 out of 10 Awesome Experts Moderator

I think they should have gotten the actor who played young Adama in Razor, he was a lot more believable in the role.

Also I'd rather have more stuff about the period before the war itself. What caused the war? Did the Cylons actually strike first?

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Razor came out five years before B&C remember? And that was Adama at the end of the war, this is him at the beginning.
    Actors do age too you know

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd go with a DTD feture fr that because aprica moved that plot way to freking slow for my tastes.

The whole Cylons being slaves of the humans thing.

Well that is implied to be the case.

11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Rated Awesome By 9 out of 10 Awesome Experts Moderator

They seemed to have been using Cylons for a while before they rebelled, at least enough time to build a lot and for them to become a regular part of life in the colonies. Based on Caprica, they were introduced to religion which may have inspired them to want to be free and turn on humanity. But I want to see the moment that they had enough. I want to know if it was a planned event or a single incident that started the rebellion.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got around to seeing this and it was pretty good. The virtual sets are rather distracting though and the effects are a little too video gamey. They just don't appear as real as the BSG effects did. Luke Pasqualino was better than i thought he'd be though his features seem a bit soft for Adama. He got the fighter pilot cockiness down but he's not quite bad ass enough. Though to be fair he just graduated from the Academy so he's supposed to be not there yet but still i would've thought that the younger Adama would still have that edge. The music is awesome as always of course.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i finally watched the DVD version and I have to ask, why didn't they keep the version of the title from the webisode version? it looked better.

14. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

So that it then... this is the end of NuBSG as a viable franchise.

15. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    nuBSG hasn't been a viable franchise since New Caprica. :techman:

(Yes, that's a bit of hyperbole ... but only a little. :p)

16. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

What I mean is that this is the end of new product, Period. For me B&C was concept taken one step too far... but it is still sad to see the end of the era.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

If enough of us buy the DVD's & blu-rays, they would have to rethink, right? That is, if syfy ever thinks.

The gist of the earlier part of the thread was how cheap (comparatively) it was to make B&C. The thing would be, if they do another chapter, they should keep it off youtube & just sell the DVD's & blu-rays.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

If my grandmother had wheels.

Ain't happening. The discs won't sell nearly enough fast enough.

19. lvsxy808

lvsxy808 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just caught this now on AppleTV. Posting this first before I read anybody else's comments, so if I duplicate I apologize.

Not massively blown away. It was certainly gorgeously produced, and the young Adama was certainly pretty. But the story was kind of a big fat zero.

Right in the first 15 minutes, the whole thing was coming across as so hugely cliched that I was thinking "I could write better than this." The stock characters and the set-up were so obvious.

• The cocky rookie who wants to prove himself.
    • The grizzled veteran who is due to retire in two weeks.
    • The instant love interest with a tragic past and a secret.
    • The hero who is worshipped by the noob but it's all a lie.
    • The crazy guy with the wild eyes who snaps.
    How many millions of action movies have had exactly that same set-up? No originality there at all. And the plot didn't seem to fare any better - the ultimate message was "sometimes soldiers have do questionable things in war, but we shouldn't tell the public about it." Is that really a message that needed to be told at this point in world history? Do we not already know that?

And the casting - I get that a producer likes to give jobs to people who they like and who have worked for them before, and they know to be reliable. But when no less than seven of the cast have been in BSG productions before, it just breaks your sense of reality, your suspension of disbelief. All I could think was, "Oh, he's been in this," or "she's been in that." Across entirely different shows is one thing, but playing two separate characters in the same universe set only 40 years apart is too much for me to accept.

When the Osiris sacrificed itself oh-so-emotionally-and-inspiringly against the enemy, I began to wonder if they had deliberately placed familiar actors in those roles as some kind of narrative shortcut - we would care more about the deaths of these people, not because of the characters themselves but simply because they were played by the same actors as characters we had previously cared about. But then the script had been blatantly manipulative already - the lead has sex with the love interest (by a roaring fire no less) before she betrays him, the pilot learns he has a child just before he dies in battle, and so on.

So all in all, it was well produced and well enough performed, but I wasn't entirely sure that the thing needed to exist at all. It was entertaining enough I suppose - I don't regret the five pounds I spent to rent it - but I felt there was simply more content, more story, more reason to exist in Razor, Caprica and The Plan.

20. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the BSG miniseries
    • The cocky rookie who wants to prove himself.
    Starbuck.

• The grizzled veteran who is due to retire in two weeks.
    Tigh and Adama.

• The instant love interest with a tragic past and a secret.
    Lee and Starbuck.

• The hero who is worshipped by the noob but it's all a lie.
    Gaius Baltar by Gaeta

• The crazy guy with the wild eyes who snaps
    Baltar. Or Adama with a flashlight.