Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Grade Blood & Chrome...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

43.1%
  3. Average

19.5%
  4. Below Average

2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

He didn't say it was an unmitigated disaster. He said the opposite.

2. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

Just saw the whole thing this weekend and I have to say it wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it. whats the status? are they going to continue the show?

3. Robert Maxwell

No, there are no plans to continue it.

4. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

thats too bad. many of us would have enjoyed it

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Sorry, if the official air date has been mentioned, I don't recall seeing it here (Only assumptions it would be right before or right after the DVD release).

I just saw a post on SyFy board, that it's official air date on SyFy is February 10

6. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think if the movie gets a good turnout on February 10th, I think there's a small chance they may reconsider their decision. Rumor has it SyFy may be interested in developing it as a web series if the response is positive.

B&C to me, I'll be honest and say it was average as a BSG product to me, but then, as others have mentioned, it is just a pilot. How much better was the first regular episode of nuBSG, "33," than the pilot of that series?

7. Robert Maxwell

Are you serious? "33" is possibly the best episode of the entire series. It won a Hugo, for crying out loud.

8. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My point exactly. How much better was "33" than the pilot episode that preceded it? Worlds better.

In other words, B&C may not have been outstanding, but nothing says any subsequent episodes wouldn't be far better.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

I said earlier, DVD sales could be the sticking point for future chapters too.

If we buy the DVD's & blu-rays in great numbers, it would get their attention.

I plan to purchase it, though the price is a little high for what amounts to a very long episode. Amazon pre-order prices are $19.99/$24.32.

10. Robert Maxwell

I missed your point, then. Sorry about that!

I'm not sure B&C would've gotten much better over time, though. It had much lower ambitions in terms of storytelling. It just wanted to be a war show.

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

BSG did war less convincingly than it did everything else. As has been said before, soldiers spend most of their down time talking a lot and cracking tasteless jokes (see Generation Kill). BSG completely failed to pick up on this.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

I just got caught up on this. I was very pleasantly surprised. Although I had some problems with it, overall I thought it hung together really solidly, so I voted Excellent. I'd really like to see more.

13. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Completely? You exaggerate.

In Season 1 with the reporter episode there was plenty of cracking tasteless jokes.

In Season 3 with the bar stuff there was also plenty of tasteless jokes.

You've either forgotten or need to rewatch the series.

14. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

^Yes. I think the card games with the smoking, drinking, foul language and sexual innuendo was implied as a regular ritual among the pilots and crew. And there was regular joking and hazing during CAG meetings as well.

I wish SyFy would reverse their decision. B&C was good. Perhaps they could make 3 or 4 TV movies of nuBSG instead of the MegaSuperDinoSharkzillamacallit movie crap. I know I'd tune in AND by it on DVD/BR.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched this on Blu-ray - not bad at all so I voted above average. However, I can sort of understand why the suits didn't want to fund it as they probably thought it brought nothing new to the table and wouldn't sustain an audience. We've already seen as much of Bill Adama'a back story as we want or need, the other characters didn't seem that interesting, and the lead actor wasn't charismatic enough to carry a series.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oh, I dunno. I agree he wasn't as good as Nico Cortez might have been, but I think he could have come into his own had they gone into production. Pilots are rarely ever as good as regular series, giving the actors time to fill into their roles.

The only drawback I see is that everyone who knows the franchise knows what will ultimately happen to the Colonies in another 40-some years. That was also one of the problems with Caprica, or any prequel series for that matter. You always know that, in the end, whatever they do won't matter in the long run. It's just showing us the journey they took to get there.

That aside, I think it could have worked had they gotten a decent budget to play with and good writing.

17. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I have seen it looks pretty good so far to me.:)

18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Rated Awesome By 9 out of 10 Awesome Experts Moderator

I really liked the first half. Once they get to the RoboMegaSnake it quickly goes downhill.

19. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Beats and Shouting Moderator

I watched it yesterday.

It may have benefitted from greatly reduced expectations, but I thought it was decent. It held my interest, anyway.

As others have said, the lead did not have enough of a presence to carry a series, IMHO.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it. I agree that the first half was better, but overall I still thought it was fun. Much better than I was expecting given how long it took for this to release (I didn't watch it when it came out on YouTube, I decided to wait for the Blu-ray).

Luke Pasqualino didn't really blow me away or anything, but he wasn't awful, either. He wasn't Bill Adama, but the Bill Adama we know doesn't really exist yet. This is when he's supposed to grow into that man. Keeping that in mind, I liked what they tried to do with the character here. I also liked Coker, and I'm glad he survived.

I highly doubt this will ever go to series, but I would like to see them do a few more movies like this one.