Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

29.9%
  3. Average

23.9%
  4. Below Average

6.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

There's a deleted scene from the episode prior to Daybreak that explains how he got there. (I read that in one of the mainstream recaps, either LA Times or EW.com.) Have to wait for the DVD. :(

2. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, but he was hardly the only person to not volunteer.

I honestly can't think of any reason Baltar would participate in the mission, except maybe out of a feeling of guilt. I also don't know why Roslin should be going, unless it's for moral support. Neither of these two would be likely to be of material value to the mission.

---------------

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    He's just there to make Cavil look even uglier. :p

Well, the episode was okay. Nothing spectacular, but not horrible, either. I'm just hoping for something more thrilling next week.

4. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I only mention it because of his earlier bitchfit with Lee, in which Lee told him to name one time when he did something completely and utterly selfless to help another person. Not sure what he could contribute to the mission, you're right, but any contribution is better than none at all, I guess. Plus, it's not like Hera is nobody. Six has been pretty much beating him over the head about Hera since the first season.

5. Gregsmack

Does anyone else think that every line for the remainder of the series should be spoken by Tigh? I do.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit, why do they keep doing this? Just to inflate DVD sales? :mad:

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Well, hopefully the rumors are true that instead of deleted scenes, we'll be getting a whole bunch of extended episodes for 4.5...

8. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We definately are getting extended cuts of 4x12, 4x18 and 4x20. No word on the other episodes though.

9. Gregsmack

^ I read that an extended version of 4x16 was originally aired for critics instead of the edited version us lowly tv viewers got. Maybe that will show up on DVD as well.

Personally I am holding out for an extended cut for Blood on the Scales

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Disappointing episode especially considering it's part one of the end. It really needed to have a drop-dead cliffhanger, like accelerating the attack plan, having Galactica jump to the colony and then find she's surrounded by a dozen basestars - blam, to be concluded.

The flashbacks better have some relevance because I am tired of the writers always focusing on the past. I would much rather they carried on moving forwards. Caprica is gone. Get over it. Lets focus on what's left.

I hope the ending is sad, powerful and memorable. Galactica holding off John as the fleet head for thir new home beyond the singularity, and in the dying moments she's torn apart, Adama going down with the ship.

Or words to that effect.

11. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the hinted, cyclical nature of things in BSG, perhaps the past is very much in the future.

---------------

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the flashbacks are effective because it ties into Baltar's speech to Lee about a new life and building that life, etc. In a way, the ragtag fleet has never really let go of Colonial society, and Lee's new Quorum and government is a start to that.

Moreover, at the end, we see where they began, again. I feel it a nice juxtaposition.

13. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I'm sure they're of relevance, but even if they aren't their past is more interesting than their present. :lol:

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Spoiler: Everyone but Tigh dies in the first hour, but somehow they download into him, so the entire second hour is him performing every role. :p

15. Gregsmack

For a moment I believed you and I jolted. I am indeed a gullible fool.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be awesome cool!

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

So Tigh and Tigh-playing-Ellen shags himself in the meeting room.

On second thoughts, lets not see how that plays out...

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why, because they figure there's a good chance that people won't tune in for Part II? :lol:

That's the only actual function that cliffhangers perform - to hold on to an existing audience, or to stimulate public curiosity in an attempt to increase the future audience.

19. Gregsmack

^ On that note, the 'Daybreak' episodes were originally pitched as one long episode, so this all really hasn't been meant to be seen in chunks like this. Evidently on DVD it will be put together as one like originally planned, and apparently even that is going to be extended as well. It's like a whole new miniseries.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. This is simply a situation in which the writers were able to structure the story as a single movie rather than breaking the action into more arbitrary chunks to serve the first-run market.