Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

29.9%
  3. Average

23.9%
  4. Below Average

6.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I wonder how many people in this thread have ever read a book but had to stop about a third of the way through before picking it up later.

I wonder how many of those people would complain if the story wasn't completely explained in that first third.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

That's a terrible analogy. The story develops, but we're at the ending of the book now, where the revelations should come. I was actually just thinking about the book featured in this show and how Adama doesn't want to finish it because it's so good. I'm afraid that might just be the theme of the show as a whole. Screw the ending when the rest of it is so good. If that's the way this series is going to be, than it might just be the worst show I've ever watched. Hopefully we don't get to that point.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Heres a question. If you line up the dots that Hera keeps drawing do they represent a double helix genetic code? The answer to her existance in dots.

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that these big epic dramas like BSG are essentially one big massive episode and to pre-emptively criticize it for not having answered all the questions or for not having answered them satisfactorily is absurd and premature. It would be like criticizing a book a third of the way through or if you started watching a standalone one hour mystery and turned it off 15 minutes into it complaining nothing was answered or revealed.

I'm certain, despite what some posters have said in this thread, that all the unanswered mysteries will get answered by the end of the finale next week. I'm not worried about that.

The problem is you need interesting stuff, whether plot-wise or character-wise, to maintain your interest in between. There needs to not be only interesting stuff in the big moments of a finale. The journey shoould be just as interesting. And frankly repetitive scenes of the Opera House or Anders in a tub or Boomer being conflicted when we haven't seen her in years or Baltar and his cult groupies etc just isn't cutting it.

5. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's exactly how I feel. Normally I wouldn't have liked an episode like this, and I could in fact easily see myself hating this episode; but, it all worked so very, very well.

CAN'T WAIT until March, 20. :D

6. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

I think you'd need a lot more dots.

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This right here is actually why I'm starting to wish I had waited to cast my final vote until next week. If it is correct that Daybreak was actually an over 3 hour episode that got parts cut out and then had the remainder divided into 2 parts, then the reason I don't like it is because it was probably supposed to flow together with the other 2+ hours. But by getting just the first hour, the flashbacks didn't seem to have anything to do with anything. And since the flashbacks are what really killed episode for me, that means I voted lower because a large part of the episode won't get context or meaning until combined with the other part.

Of course, if I come to find next week that these flashbacks still have nothing to do with anything... well... I could easily drop kick a puppy over something like that. ;)

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Lost and BSG are my two favorite (current) shows.

You're right. Lost excels at story structure and in building an incredibly complex and surprisingly coherent narrative... which are BSG's weaknesses.

At the same time, Lost has (with rare exception) continually failed to build any sort of meaningful relationships or drama between the characters... which is BSG's strength.

Both shows are brilliant... neither is perfect.

9. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, as far as pure form--the timing of revelations, the impressive interconnected nature of the series where pieces connect to other pieces seamlessly, the painful almost obsessive attention to details, the way flashbacks and flashforwards are interwoven and how they are placed strategically, how situations and paths crossing could seem contrived come off organic and plausibly, the careful timing of introduction of new pieces and characters being folded into the narrative flow at just the moment cueing you to their forthcoming importance, the parallel structure, the way one can step back and from a distance observe and appreciate the way threads come together and fit--no show can top Lost.

I agree BSG is not very well plotted and the format is not as sharp.
    While the shows are similar, yes BSG is far more character-driven. I don't think anyone will quarrel with that. In fact, at times it comes across as academic character studies which isn't always that entertaining.

Lost isn't like that. It tries to balance character and plot more than BSG and at the end of the day I think it favors plot more because the focus on all the mysteries and you also have the characters doing a lot of reacting, investigating, being action figures in this big action adventure and serving the plot. But that isn't to say Lost is purely plot-driven and can only be enjoyed for the mysteries, revelations, twists, cliffhangers, inventive writing and plot.

I enjoy the characters on Lost quite a bit. With all the attention on the Big Mysteries, the show has done an excellent job creating characters that are well-defined and amazingly with as large of a cast as it has it has also managed to create interesting histories and personalities for most of the them. And despite the fast-paced nature and all the fantastical stuff going on around them, they still find time to sneak a character moment or tie what is happening with the plot to the characters. Is it necessarily as deep as BSG when it comes to the characters? Maybe not.
    No show is perfect and I was never arguing Lost was flawless and BSG was a show riddled with endless problems. I was just sharing my opinion about what I look for and my issues with BSG.

I would personally argue that at the end of the day for me I've enjoyed myself more with Lost and have had less complaints especially in the last two and half seasons than with BSG. I understand how others might feel differently but overall Lost has been more consistent, more entertaining and better balanced between character and plot--at least from my perspective.

10. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved it because it really moved me into a direction where I am ready for the ending and I mean that in a good way.

11. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

^ Me too.

I'm not quite sure what people mean when they say this series lacks narrative coherency, but to each their own. I'm a very critical guy and even I'm satisfied with the show, so that's enough for me.

12. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

You so und like sam and razor hybrid.

13. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's hard to rate this one since it's the first hour of the a 3 hour finale. On its own it wasn't that great, for the first time since the start of season 4.5 I felt bored at times. So I voted average. Despite my disappointment with this episode I can't wait to see the final episode next week.

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was ok I suppose but did we really need backstory on Baltar and Roslin as more important question still need to be answered like who are the head people, what is Kara is her dad Daniel? I have a feeling we are never going to find out as the last episode will be all action.

15. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read the whole thread, but there were some questions raised by a couple posters about when the flashbacks take place . . .

I don't think they were all to the same timeframe . . . they had a title card "Caprica City, Before the Fall" but they didn't show any "X time units ago" things . . . so the flashbacks could be to just about any timeframe . . .

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did some-one say it's about 18 months before the cylon attack?

Probably the one that indicateds that it's well before the Cylon attack was the approach to Roslin to be on President Adar's election campaing (unless the Colonials get them over and done with very quickly :)

Not sure we evey know at which point Zak Adama died.

But then it can be too far back for Six to start her machinations on the defence computers.

17. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't expect RDM to make everyone happy with how the series ends, we all have different theories on what we think should happen. I think some of these whiners, need to relax and wait to see how it ends before they start tearing it apart.

Of course we have those with ADD who need thier instant gratification, and space battles or else it is a bad story. If you have been actually paying attention over the years, Galactica has never been about the space battles, it's been about the characters.

It is the same reason people attack Star Trek, somehow over time it's become about the special effects, and space battles. Star Trek was also about the characters and the stories. That is why people still watch the original 40+ years later.

-Chris

18. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry guys, I'm having a senior moment here but when was Tyrol sent to the brig?

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^We never actually saw him being sent to the brig, but you can assume it was because he helped Boomer escape.

20. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for that. I was getting really worried there!!