Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

29.9%
  3. Average

23.9%
  4. Below Average

6.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

I'm sure the flashbacks serve a very important purpose, and that is following up on the previous flashback Roslin had of glimpsing Baltar with a blonde woman on Caprica. Baltar's role in the destruction of the Colonies will finally be exposed. Nobody thought the show was going to let that go, did they?

2. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

Oh gods, Baltars' dad... "she steals from me..." - the cliche of every geriatric on T.V.

3. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that's the situation in this case... rating an episode as average certainly doesn't signify that it's bad. Hell, I've voted excellent every other time, and hit this one with an average.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You think so? I thought his aquital in "Crossroads," combined with his confession to Roslin in "The Hub" put that storyline to rest. But I could be wrong. If they're looking to redeem the character, it might be time for him to fully confess his sins.

5. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

Excellent. Excellent set-up episode. Me and the soon-to-be wife have a ton of questions just like everyone else.

I have never looked so forward to a series finale ever. Don't remember the finale for M*A*S*H, Family Ties or the Cosby Show, liked TNG enough, thought DS9 was satisfying and Red Dwarf was entertaining, didn't care for Voyager, REALLY didn't care for ENT. . . loved the ending of Home Movies, will probably tear up for the end of the Simpsons. . .

Am very thankful that I got a chance to experience this show. . . especially glad that I quit my years of lurking and signed up (wow - six years ago?!) so that I could experience this show with everyone on this here BBS. Cheers! :beer:

BTW. . . MeanJoePhaser, "...who the frak builds a fat robot?" :guffaw:

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well no doubt a knucke dragger will go to secure something and find his gaffer tape missing.

Then again you'd think by this point all gaffer tape would of been used to hold the Galatica together :)

7. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you just talking about season four, in particular? Or the entire series? Specify. Because if you're just talking about season four, you might have an argument; if you're talking about the series, as a whole, not so much.

BSG, season one: 13 episodes. BSG, seasons two-four: 19-21 episodes.

I think that should make it clear why season one appeared to be so much more tightly written. Serialized dramas work best with shorter season counts. Just look at The Sopranos or Dexter. It's a shame BSG wasn't able to do that.

And the frequency with which you've made your references to Lost has simply sapped their effectiveness. Sorry. Not trying to be mean. Just trying to be honest.

Nothing wrong with you voicing your displeasure with the show. You certainly don't need to defend your right to criticize it. Maybe next week will help win you over; maybe it won't. But to each their own.

8. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mainly season four.
    That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Lost season one had 20+ episodes. Its third season had 20+ episodes as well. Heroes season one had 23 episodes. Primetime dramas of yesteryear like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere for example did long seasons well also. So you can pull it off with a little thinking and the writers generating enough ideas to sustain it which for BSG with as many characters it has shouldn't have been a problem.
    Like I said in my earlier post--I use it as an example because it best demonstrates what I'm looking for.
    BSG has pretty much shown it can pull off great finales so I'm not that worried. I'm sure the writers will come through. While it may make some story choices set better with me in hindsight I certainly can't see it making up for a lot of what I have found wrong with the series lately.

Truth be told if I hadn't gotten so engrossed in it in its first year and the first half of its second year I probably would have stopped watching but I have a habit of sticking with a show no matter how far off the rails it goes until the very end if I enjoyed it a great deal for a significant period of time. Plus the mythology actually helped keep me around too.

I will freely admit that my waning interest in most of the characters hasn't helped and I can understand that if someone has a greater interest in them than myself that all these other little issues wouldn't have been so irksome.

9. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I gave it a poor. I did that cause thats what it was...Someone on page 2 or 3 of this thread mentioned if thats what the Caprica series (all the flashback scenes)is going to be like count me out. They could have done these flashback scenes a couple of episodes ago.
    And back 4-5 episodes ago when Anders just blurted out the whole final five reveal and I was bitching that it was lame writing on RDM's part I remember people saying that they didnt have time to "show" the F5 answers or they didnt have the money in the budget to show it rather than cop out and just tell it in 5 minutes...Well that all turned out to be bullshit. I would have much rather had the last 2-3 episodes deal with the F5 stuff than all this padding and fluff we have been getting.
    Very poor writing and planning on RDM and his writers part...
    I too thought I noticed Baltar say Fucking rather than Fracking to his old man...but I rewound it on the DVR and it sounded like he said fracking with just a hint of fucking...
    Its just too bad that they are going to end this show like this with all this lame writing and not answering the questions...And for people saying this show has never been about the answers rather the questions...No way. Its always been about dancing around the answers to the questions that RDM set up cause he didnt know the answers either...
    They could have also had the end fight happen an episode or 2 ago and gave up the last 2 or so episodes to show the characters dealing with whatever happens...
    Im starting to think that the last hour is going to be Will Riker and De'anna Troi on a holodeck saying end program...

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite moment of the episode by far.

Above average episode.

11. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Above Average.

Loved, loved, LOVED the flashbacks, I almost wish they'd been integrated into the series as a regular theme similar to Lost, certainly there's a similar before/after dichotomy to be exploited there. Adama's speech and the events surrounding it weren't nearly as cringeworthy as I'd been expecting from the promo, it all held together rather well, EJO's voice excepted. :lol:

12. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then I'm inclined to agree with you. This season has felt a little meandering at times; better management of all those story threads that have composed it would've helped remedy the problem. My issue has simply been with when and how story threads have been picked up and addressed. In my opinion, the mid-season cliffhanger of finding Earth really threw off this season's balance. The writing changed drastically from 4.0 to 4.5 and I'm not necessarily sure it was in the best interest of the show for finding Earth to have happened when it did (even though it was shocking).

Yes, you can do it. But just because Lost, Heroes, or shows of yesteryear could make the long seasons work doesn't necessarily mean that BSG should've been expected to. Maybe the storytelling on BSG is simply more conducive to shorter season counts. I, for one, can't imagine Dexter or The Sopranos (which rivals BSG in its amount of characters) working with 20+ episode seasons. It is a case-by-case basis.

Fair enough.

For its fans, BSG has been an incredibly engrossing show. Even if I had found myself growing dissatisfied with it, I know I would've stuck around, too. And my interest in the characters has never really waned, so their stories have certainly kept me on-board. Let's just hope we get a great finale. As you said, BSG usually nails finales, so let's hope this time is no different.

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is difficult to rate an episode like this where it is all set-up, but my feeling was that this episode was Above Average. It should manage to work better once the DVDs come out and we can watch Parts 1 & 2 in one go as it was intended.

I've skimmed most of the thread so I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up as a possibility, but do you think that the flashbacks will end with the characters going to the opera? Adama doesn't seem like the sort of guy who would like going to the opera so that explains his objection about spending an hour some place at the beginning, Roslin could go there on her date, Baltar could invite Six to the opera, Kara and Lee could end up going there with Zack, and suddenly all six characters are at the Opera House.

It could happen. :p

14. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Likely to be" != "is".

And some people -- people with character -- are willing to take an enormous risk to do the right thing.

I'm sorry for you that you don't get that.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

There really is not another argument to be made for flying a suicide mission involving great numbers of people in order to rescue a single child that is separable from "emotion or sentiment," is there?

There can't be that many people in the fleet or aboard Galactica who are in on or buy the "Hera is the future of the human race" argument or the child's life would not have been what it apparently has been up to now - about as normal, unnoticed and unrestricted as is probably possible under the circumstances.

16. arch101

arch101 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm thinking that the meaning of Adama's "Caprica" interlude will be revealed in what he does in his final scene. I just get that vibe. As for the rest, I'm beginning to think we aren't going to get all the answers, and I think I'm OK with that.
    After next Friday: I'll buy the whole frakkin series on dvd, watch it to death, and nitpick it on this board daily for the next 20 yahrens. :lol:

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Not to mention President of the 12 colonies.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I've seen many comments like this and I might as well address it as a whole:

Why does it not matter that we won't get answers? These questions have been forming throughout the entire series and have been integral to the story of the show. I keep reading about character drama and all that jazz and I have to wonder how can you have character drama with not story. That's the problem I'm having with the show. Character Drama should not be repetitive, but should evolve. The last few episodes felt like everyone standing still. I'm tired of seeing characters go through the motions and want to see the characters reach that final step. Personally, I think it will be severly cheating the viewer if we don't find out anything. Speculation be damned, theories be damned, and subtilty be damned. Get on with it already.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. I'm all for character drama, but I was really hoping that we'd have time to watch the whiplash of the payoff on these characters. I feel like I can copy and paste the same review every week but it's the same issue. I'm tired of set up. I'm tired of being dedicated to this series but realizing that it will be all set up and no payoff. That's not a good series makes. All this stuff that's been integral to the series would have greatly benefited to being revealed earlier so we can watch how these characters deal with it as a "countdown to the final showdown" type thing to hype of the finale. Instead, the series was beating around the Bush, and that's not good. Any other episode and I would have been fine with the flashbacks. I mean I was intrigued with them too, for a time. Then we saw Lee and dealing with the bird and I was like :wtf:

Some other parts I forgot to mention that I liked: Adama seeing all the photos taken down expect for the ones not claimed was very moving. Everything that happened in the present made me quite emotional because the series is ending next week. I've enjoyed watching these characters other than some spurts here and there and a week from today it will be no more. I just want to see a great finale, and good resolution to this story. I fear after last night that it might not be enough.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  20. Admiral Buzzkill

There's always plenty of story on nuBSG; what there isn't is a lot of concentration on plot and plot points. This story is definitely going somewhere and will definitely end, but what some folks are concerned about (and others less so) are how specific plot points and threads will be resolved.