Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

35.0%
  2. Above Average

29.9%
  3. Average

23.9%
  4. Below Average

6.6%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I totally agree. And I will miss it too.

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am going to miss this show when it is all over. I was 10 when the original aired, always hoped the show would come back. I have to say I was not thrilled when I heard about the re-imagining. I gave the new show a shot and was hooked since 33.

-Chris

3. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Suffered from Setup Syndrome to a certain extent, I can really tell the 3 parts were intended to be totally seamless.

Nonetheless, I've never been so captivated by setup in my life. I was surprised by the flashback's, and I really loved that stuff. BSG, even in at the end when the huge plot needs tying up, never abandons it's commitment to the characters and texture of the BSG universe.

This is gonna be a long ass week.

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average. The final stretch of a series in theory should be its most emotional and the one where it takes the greatest risks yet this season has been absolutely listless with no real force guiding it. The last three episodes have been designed to drag out the last of its material to save it for the finale--now you can add this episode to it. I actually thought the first part of the series finale would be at least interesting set up but it is just as lethargic and repetitve as the other episodes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again just because BSG features quiet scenes featuring two characters doesn't magically make them great or the series a an outstanding drama and that has been the case in these last several episodes. I didn't care for any of the scenes to be honest.

Once again more re-establishing of pre-existing threads but no real movement or interesting insights. They just keep repeating them and at this stage why even do a recap before the episode since the hour itself keeps bringing them up--Baltar, the cult, something more to Starbuck, the musical notes, Anders in a tub spouting gibberish, Cavil promising to do evil things to Hera--all of this has been the same threads over and over for four episodes. What new did we learn about any of it. And the flashback to life on Caprica really wasn't that compelling or insightful nor did it parallel to something happening to the characters unless seeing Anders in a tub speaking to a sports reporter or Lee chasing a pigeon is great drama. It certainly doesn't effectively utilize flashbacks the way Lost has mastered them for instance.

I'm not opposed to set-up but it should be entertaining not repetitive.

The packing up and clearing out of Galactica was one of the few moments to evoke any sort of melancholy associated with the show ending which is unfortunate.

As has been the pattern for quite some time the episode predictably picks up some steam in the last act. Roslin with every last ounce of stress to walk to the hangar bay assisted by Adama and interlocking arms with Starbuck was one of the truly genuinely moving and stand-up moments in the whole hour. Too bad the rest of it wasn't up to that level. Then of course the revelation of the colony inside an asteroid field.

I'm not the least bit impressed with the show and the way it just limps to the finish line dissipating whatever momentum that remained.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I read something a while back about part of the finale involving Roslin wading in a fountain on what was supposed to be Caprica. At that point I thought... PLEASE! No flashbacks! But I have to say, it worked out quite well. It almost felt like a season finale of Lost. :lol: I can't wait to see where this is going. Yes, it was a lot of set-up but it was good. It's hard to grade this one since it's supposed to be part of a larger whole, but I'm gonna go with "above average" for the first hour.

What else...

- It was interesting seeing that side of Caprica Six, the way she took some initiative to help out Baltar's father.

- Speaking of Caprica Six, they kind of ruined that running joke about her name by having Baltar say that he didn't catch it. I always figured that he was too embarassed to ask after having been with her for a while.

- That was Racetrack wasn't it? She wasn't punished for her part in the mutiny?

- What was Bill Adama doing at the beginning during his Caprica scene? I didn't catch what was going on.

- Nice to see Simon again. Doral too.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average. Very good but right now it's all set-up. I only hope that two hours is enough time to wrap up what's left.

I did enjoy the extended Lost-like flashbacks and Baltar with his old man was pretty damn funny. Some nice little scenes at the end too, with Adama and Cottle and Kara taking Roslin's hand at the end.

I can't believe the end is almost here. I'm going to miss this show greatly. Drama and Sci-Fi just won't be the same.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I though it was a good set up for next weeks finale. I will miss this show when it is gone :(.

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

So, that was Part 1 of a 3 parter. Typically Part 1 of any To Be Continued... is going to be slow, as they build up to stuff, so I can forgive the slowness of the episode.

I know a lot of people here may not have liked or saw the relevance of the flash backs, but personally I can appreciate the character depth given by flashing back to before they all came together. I see how they have all grown together now, and our on each other's sides no matter what, right here at the end, Cylon or Human, it is all the same at this point. It has a nice synergy about it.

I give this episode an Average. I expect next week will get an Excellent.

9. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I smell a reset coming on using that black hole. It ain't there for nothing, ya know.

As far as tonight, it was OK, not bad, not really that great, but OK.

10. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Adama asked all former military incarcerated to be freed if they volunteer for the mission. Then, Racetrack and Skulls have banter about how of course they would be sent into an asteroid field because of what they did, and Racetrack says "yeah well, beats sitting in a cell"

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

For the first time, I started to think that maybe there isn't any third party pulling any strings like most of us thought. I dunno... We'll see.

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

It's the black hole, you just watch, it is the Cylon God

13. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Average. Some nice setup for next week, but still just setup. The Caprica City flashbacks were interesting, and beautifully shot, but they would have been far more appropriate somewhere in season 2 or 3. In the penultimate episode of the series, they just had me wishing for the first 15 minutes of the episode back, for something more relevant in the fleet's present day.

I am very much looking forward to next week, because whatever it is, I'm confident it'll be one hell of a frakking show. And despite the ups and downs of this season, I am going to miss this show more than any other departed favorite.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Another week, and we're talking about Lost again. Greeeaaat. :rolleyes:

Last week I was all for the character moments, but this week I'm back in the get the heck on with it mode. We've had pretty much a whole series worth of set up, so what happens in part one of the season finale? More set up and more repetition. Starbuck still confused, Baltar still wants a voice in the government (Something that's been hinted at all season), and then what I find to be, unless they really do a good job with it next week, very unnecessary flashbacks. Why doesn't this episode try to tackle some of these questions. I mean we still don't know who Starbuck is, we still don't know what the Opera House represents, it feels the all the mythology of the show has been thrown out the window, and I'm still wanting to know about All Along the Watchtower. If there is a third party at work here, they've run out of time to do anything with it.

I remember saying very early in the season that I was hoping they would reveal stuff such as Starbuck so we can see consequences from that and how it affects her. We know she has a special destiny, we know she saw a raider and reconciled with her mother, but we don't know what it means. Where is Leoban anyway. I realize a two part finale is mostly set up in the first part. I can respect that, but I wish they had dealt with the here and now instead of picking now as a time to do flashbacks that don't look like they will go anywhere. It just feels like this episode stalled. We've had so many episodes lately where they've felt like they've just stalled and this was one of them. Last week felt like the series was coming to an end. This week I don't get that feeling other than a few moments.

Not all this episode was bad. I really liked the stuff taking place in the present, with Roslin going to Adama, Adama packing his quarters, Baltar and Lee's conversation, Adama's speech, and Apollo back in uniform. It will be great to see him and Starbuck work together again. I just wish the series would have revealed something out of this episode so we can digest it and then look forward to next week. I'm already looking forward to next week, but I can't help but think this episode was a wasted show just to fill in the 20 episode requirement.

Average

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  15. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

The grouchy old man knows of what he speaks.

And I hope we get space Nazis! :bolian:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor Number Five, didn't even get any dialogue...

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I'm giving this an Above Average for now. It may go up or down depending on how the finale delivers (or doesn't).

I actually thought it was fairly interesting setup, although I get the feeling several scenes were cut for time because it felt like they skipped a lot of material. The montage was effective, I thought. I enjoyed the flashbacks--a good reminder of how much these people have changed. Nice to see Skulls and Racetrack again, the mutinous bastards.

We'll see how all this pans out next week, I suppose. I expect the ship to go down fighting and for the cast to drop like flies. But I have no idea what the final ending will be--some kind of resolution for the fleet, or endless wandering, or what.

18. IrritatingGameOfChess

IrritatingGameOfChess Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It held my attention and makes me want to see the next episode...so I voted "excellent."

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An excellent set up to the finale.

-Chris

20. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Adama ordered all the mutineers released and brought to Galactica as well as Tyrol released so they could join this mission.