Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

26.2%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

22.5%
  4. Below Average

7.3%
  5. Poor

2.1%
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Not a whole lot. And yet we still all talk about how tough Adama is. They really did an awesome job putting his character together. Adama is the man!

2. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to nit-pick, but that was actually me you quoted, though Robert Maxwell did post an insightful response to what I said. :)

You pose a good question. It's funny, because the only other show that's really let the audience see their lead break down and cry was TNG with Picard in "Family."

Coincidentally, that episode was written by... you guessed it: Ronald D. Moore.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Adama breaking down at the drop of a hat isn't compelling anymore. It's repetative. It does work when the character is doing it on a weekly basis.

Agreed also on Adama not owning up to his own mistakes and going into self-pitying. I really wish Lee would have slapped the drink out of his hand during that scene. Adama's drama queen antics are getting tiresome.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I'm blaming it more on the booze these days than anything. He's cracking up the way Saul used to get super angry when he was drunk all the time.

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ See, in that sense it does make sense. When you fall in real life you have more than one time up and down the emotional ladder.

Guess with my fiction I want something different? I don't know. I mean it's good. I enjoy the show. I'm just leaning a little more toward the camp that's been complaining about filler. This close to the end let's start wrapping up in style, not continuing to wallow in self pity.

Someone a page or two back mentioned in a sarcastic tone (at least I took it as such) that "how convenient" it was the Cylons had a homeworld. Well, why wouldn't they? I've always assumed they had a homeworld. I just assumed it was a physical planet somewhere and not a mobile home.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops. My bad... sorry.

7. sidious618

They've mentioned before that they have a homeworld/base.

As for the idea that more should be resolved: What exactly needs to be resolved? What Starbuck is and the song's meaning is coming into play already. We could get the answers pretty swiftly and quietly in "Daybreak," it's not like they need to spend episodes upon episodes on the topic.

I think people expect some sort of massive turnaround. It ain't coming. They're screwed. :lol: We are watching them slide down into oblivion. Roslin will die. Galactica will break apart. The crew is split and will remain so. Things are still tough. "Daybreak" won't magically fix this. We're not heading to a happy Voygeresque "We did it" ending.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

9. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

100% agree. I am also not sure exactly what people want "wrapped up". The plot is, basically, find a habitable planet before the fleet runs out of resources. It's very simple, actually. The beauty of the series, in my opinion, is that even with a bare bones plot, the real meat of the show is the inner-workings of the fleet and the characters involved.

Those looking for a happy ending will be disappointed. After all the series as taken its audience through, who can say with a straight face that they ACTUALLY expect a happy ending of any sort?

10. sidious618

I don't know. Not all that many. Once in Revelations he had a breakdown. He went crazy in SAGN but he wasn't sobbing and that seems to be the thing people have a problem with. Then he got upset again in this one, right? He's not doing that bad all things considered.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Tahmoh Penikett probably deserves an Emmy nomination. That scene with him and Edward James Olmos was - well played. It got me.

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Maureen Ryan column reminded me of something. Anyone notice the rambnigs of Sam in Hybrid mode with his "there's a hole in the bucket dear liza" line?

A reference to the Galactica's damage but not blatantly obvious.

13. sidious618

I've never been overly impressed with Penikett only because the character is so steady that he never had to stretch much. That scene was ace, though, and he was great. I don't know about an Emmy but it was really good.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

yeah, I thought that was funny.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Adama at his worse was probably in Hero, where he started crying because he thought that sending a spy ship two clicks inside the Cylon border that triggered the war. That led to his biggest drama queen moment when he attempted to resign his post and Roslin had to lecture him like a little child not to.

16. sidious618

I thought you meant this season only. I'd probably be in a ball in the corner if I was in Adama's position. :lol:

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Temis, I could kiss you for writing that! There's a line I never thought I'd type. :)

Mr Awe

18. Mr Awe

Why is that funny? As viewers, we each get to form our own opinion. I never stated, or even suggested, that the show would change based on my opinion.

I, and others, have been pointing this out for some time now. And, why settle for less? It's possible to do both, characters and plot. I'm not letting them off the hook just because I'm a fan.

Yep, been there, done that with the quadrangle thingy.

Mr Awe

19. sidious618

I can't really see how LOST is better than BSG. I love LOST but it doesn't have the finesse nor the maturity of Battlestar.

20. Mr Awe

I've elaborated in my posts why the last 3 episodes have been bland. I don't think I've used filler, at least not much.

Mr Awe