Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

26.2%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

22.5%
  4. Below Average

7.3%
  5. Poor

2.1%
  1. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

During the scene where Kara was pinning her photo on the wall of dead, I was certain that she was going to blow her brains out. The scene began, I remembered the Dualla scene, and how I was only half paying attention during that one and didn't want to miss anything this time around...I waited... stopped breathing and blinking... but it didn't happen.

2. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I don't really care that characters such as Simon and Doral have been neglected. They were barely characters to begin with. The cast is too big to focus on everyone. If anyone's been getting shafted lately, it's Lee Adama. He's fourth in the credits (after Adama, Roslin, and Starbuck), and he's barely been present in this half season, especially the last few episodes. He was in two scenes in this latest episode, and what?, one scene each in the three previous episodes?

And most of the scenes that he's in don't really give him much to do that's very interesting. His father's entire world is falling apart, but most of the elder Adama's emotional scenes are with Roslin or Tigh.

3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there was ever an episode that needed the Doctor Who electronic sting at the end, this is probably it.

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Above Average for me. Loved the character moments.

The Cylon base looked very interesting... and VERY OLD. An ancient colony ship, perhaps?

5. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah I totally loved nĂ¼ Starbuck putting the picture of old Starbuck on the memory wall. I found it very poignant. Even though we still don't know what she is.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

So the mystery surrounding Kara coming back to life is that...sometimes people come back to life? Was that it? Is she Jesus or something?

I was kind of underwhelmed by this episode. Some important stuff happened, and it was fine, but I was generally left with a "meh" feeling. That's fine. It happens. I actually really enjoyed the previous two episodes, unlike a lot of people.

I definitely see shit hitting the fan next week, though.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I hope to god that galactica goes out in style, and that this show does not end on a downer or in a sopranos style.

8. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

In the Season 3 finale viewing party podcast, Moore said that his favorite show was The Sopranos. So brace yourself. :p

9. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Below Average. Last week's episode disguised its structural weaknesses with some interesting stylistic touches, this episode wasn't so fortunate. I watched Adama's cookie-cutter breakdown and felt nothing, they've gone to that well too many times now.

I hope they're not going where it looks like they're going with Galactica. A suicide mission would be both prosaic and overly melodramatic for BSG.

My favourite scene. :lol:

It's too late for that, I wish they hadn't tried it with Boomer and Ellen. I'd like to see Leoben (preferably with Kara) again, though.

11. Search4

Search4 Captain Captain

Great great point. :techman:

12. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1671

Bear McCreary wrote that they deleted scenes that established Tyrol was in the brig! He says that instead, they decided to extend the dialogue scenes. My opinion of this episode just dropped. What the hell. According to what's actually aired I guess Kelly, Tyrol, Racetrack, Skulls, Gage, Vireem are all hiding in the same closet somewhere.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I kept thinking I saw Kelly in uniform during the funeral scenes, but it was never him.

The sad thing is I think the last we saw Tyrol he was walking down a corridor with destruction raining down around him from Boomer's Raptor hitting the FTL so close to Galactica...then we didn't see him at all this last ep. Made me think he died or something.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

HOSHI: Sir! A massive Cylon fleet has just jumped in!

Adama looks up.

Cut to black.

The End.

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The character moments in this ep were great. They are the core of the show - more than the mythology. So I appreciate the writers taking time to give characters powerful, important scenes (because you know that if they didn't, people would complain after the fact that there was too much plot and not enough character). Having said that, I am getting worried by the fact that the writers are dancing around the mythology of the show without answering anything. We're down to the final three hours of the series, and we've yet to understand what the Opera House means, what Starbuck is, and who is pulling the strings behind it all. They keep bringing it up but never progressing. WTF?

16. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Well, I think if we had any of those answers now we wouldn't have much to look forward to in the last three hours. I understand people's complaints about the last few episodes (my wife feels the same way) but my opinion is, I've watched this show for four years because of the characters. I was really pleased to be able to spend some time near the end with them. I thought the scenes with Adama and Roslin, Baltar and Starbuck, Apollo and Starbuck, and Adama and Tigh at the end were all great. With the table set like this, I'm really looking forward to going out with a bang.

Now, if they drop the ball with the action and reveals in Daybreak Parts I and II, I'll agree with the naysayers. So far, I'm still on board with the producers.

Above average for me.

17. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You don't get to make that decision, since you were never the showrunner.
    The show has always been about the characters.
    The story and mythology were moved forward mostly towards the ending and beginning (and middle) of seasons. What was in between always focused on the characters. This is how it has always been, and the show is definitely not gonna change its tune in its final hours. Get over it or stop watching.

I'm pretty sure they could.
    Its just that they don't want to, because they chose a different approach to storytelling.
    This show is NOT Lost. Nor did it ever want to be.

And thats perfectly fine. Me, I gave up on Lost during Season three and never bothered to tune in again (too much random deaths of characters that I really liked).
    But I accept that Lost tells its story in a different way, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Because it wouldn't be Lost anymore.

18. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What was the room Cavil locked Hera in? Was she being scanned for cloning or something?

-Chris

19. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Thankfully, he also said that the DVD version of this episode will be extended so fear not.

20. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow a lot of things happened here ... I guess the Chief was killed in that decompression accident that left 61 dead or...

................. 'missing'??????????

I didn't catch any mention of him last night and thought for sure after last week he's be shot.

Also I think Hera switched on something in Boomer that will play a significant role in the final episodes.

So they're getting ready to abandon ship, Huh! Well it got 'em this far and it looks like the base star will have to bring them home.

I gave this episode an average...it made sense the way everything played out it just wasn't as compelling like some earlier episodes. But I'm fine with that and will watch it again.