Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

26.2%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

22.5%
  4. Below Average

7.3%
  5. Poor

2.1%
  1. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

That's my understanding. The order for the final season was 22 episodes, counting Razor as two. That means two episodes were always planned to follow "Islanded in a Stream of Stars." I think "Daybreak Part II" just got expanded to two hours in the writing process, and they were able to convince the network to go along with it.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Excellent episode.

I was a bit upset that after the big deal they made about Roslin "passing out/dying" that there was no real reaction to it. Next time we see her, she's in the bed in sickbay. Felt like a cheap cliffhanger from last week.

Then I thought about it.

I think Roslin died at the end of last week's episode. I think she died, and that Bill still hasn't accepted it. Note that he was the only one to interact with her this week and there was nothing new that came from her. Lee didn't consult her about the ship captain's dilemma either. I don't think there's any discussion with Laura about Hera being kidnapped either.

What was going on in those scenes between Bill and Laura? They talked about the cabin on New Caprica. He read Searider Falcon to her. They smoked a joint. All things they'd done before. All things that would remind him of her, things that would serve to make him feel as if she were still there with him.

He doesn't want to let go of Galactica because he doesn't want to let go of her. When she tells him, "You probably love this ship more than you love me," she's right. But he doesn't want her to be right. He realizes he HAS to let go of one or the other. And rather than give up the woman he loves, by the end of the episode he decides to give up his ship.

Again its all conjecture, but it would be a refreshing way to tackle this story point they've been telegraphing for all this time, especially after that hamfisted ending last week.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to remember early reports, possibly from Moore's mouth, saying the finale was likely a three hour episode and they were negotiating with sci-fi how to air it. I believe Daybreak was written entirely by Moore (I could be misremembering that), so, I imagine, it was written as one big episode, and edited to fill production/episode slots. I seem to remember Moore cringing on the Razor DVD commentary about how they were going to have to go back and edit their movie into two parts for syndication, so realize, at some point, some poor bastard is going to see the finale in three parts.

4. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Thank you sid, Garth, and WaveMan for answering my question. :techman:

Also, I had another thought.

Remember back in 'Road Less Traveled' when Leoben and Anders had their confrontation over being more than what you are? What if Anders' current state is how the writers are planning to leave him. It's a very disturbing outcome for a character who says things like, "I can't believe Pyramidball used to actually matter to me."

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're the first person I've read who has speculated this. If you're correct, that's quite impressive. It would be a fascinating way to handle that storyline.

Mr Awe

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if not its one very long episode.

7. doubleohfive

My thoughts exactly. I'll need to wait for "Islanded" to show up on Hulu again to re-watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way they go with it.

8. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

That's...quite interesting. Towards the end of the episode, when Bill mentioned going to "the funeral service," I had a split second of thinking "wait, did Laura die off-camera?" 'Twould be great if they really went this way.

9. doubleohfive

Wouldn't it? That scene with Helo would also carry a lot more resonance too.

10. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta echo you there Bisz. Season 4 has been very disappointing. It should have been about half the size that it ended up being. :(

11. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one gets an "Above Average" from me. Not quite as amazing as last week but still very, very strong with some excellent moments, I think.

This season has been stunning. It's terrific to see how they've maintained the quality of the show throughout its run. It's also incredible how they've used that powerful premise and told powerful and surprising stories. I love going back and seeing just how much the characters have changed and knowing what's going to happen to them.

Really, really looking forward to Daybreak :-).

12. MyCylon

That had not occurred to me. A very, very interesting thought indeed. I wonder if it turns out to be true (I'm assuming you guys already know by now, but I'll have to wait until next week to find out, unfortunately).

13. doubleohfive

I don't know. I'm just postulating.

14. That's a great theory but the only problem is that there are scenes from Roslin's POV where Bill is nowhere to be seen (if you meant to imply that Roslin is Bill's imagination)

15. MyCylon

Although I've only seen part of Lost (I'll get to that later) you've summed up many of my feelings very well. In a nutshell, I don't really see why the two get compared since IMHO nuBSG is really in a league of its own and offers that bit more than 'just' entertainment which Lost (again IMHO) does not.

I watched most of it not all of season 1 as well as parts of season 2. I found the show to be entertaining enough, but the main problem I always had was that the characters, for the most part, just felt incredibly conventional. By that I don't mean that these were regular guys (for the most part) but that the way they acted and reacted to their situation just seemed incredibly conventional in light of the strange and weird setting the show was developing.

The only character to really ever grab my interest was Locke (plus I love the actor). But really, that simply wasn't enough to sustain my interest beyond what I've already seen.

I suppose one could argue I bailed too soon and didn't give the show the chance to really flex its muscles. But for me the thing is that nuBSG was dealing with interesting and engaging topics right from the start. It created engaging characters from day one that were really interesting to follow and see evolve. It basically hit the ground running and never stopped IMHO.

I'll watch the odd episode of Lost when I see it's on. Interestingly, although it has an ongoing storyline, I never felt it was really necessary to keep up with what was going on since (judging by what I'd seen in S1 and 2) not much ever seemed to change in a character sense.

It's very possible I'll check out the show at a later stage on DVD or something. Part of me is curious as to what the island is all about. Another part of me is curious about the whole time travel thing since I'm surprised people aren't crying bloody murder (which I suspect they would have on nuBSG).

As it stands, based purely on what I've seen, Lost doesn't hold a candle to nuBSG on any level, really. As much as tv show can achieve that, I think nuBSG is 'special'. Lost, to me, feels incredibly convential in comparison.