Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

31.3%
  3. Average

18.5%
  4. Below Average

6.2%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really loved this episode, from its slow pace at the start to the really stunning finale five (!) minutes. So, in light of the dud we got last week, i gave this one an excellent rating just because that's how i felt after watching it.

I suffered with Boomer and Tyrol, then i suffered with the Agathons. I smiled with Starbuck, and cheered when she played that song with her imaginary father. And that's all i ask from BSG. Nothing else. And so far, the writers deliver. Remember : it's the journey not the goal...

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the revelations in No Exit too, I think they resolved a lot of the mysteries very well. However, there is that old adage in TV that you must show and not tell, and that is a rule that this episode followed and No Exit did not.

I'm not just talking about the revelations that Anders dumped on us, I'm talking about certain character motivations. At one point in the episode when Anders is under anaesthetic, Kara is talking to him and reveals to him the fact that she was being greedy by wanting to know if she was the seventh Cylon. Well duh. There was absolutely no reason to explain that to the audience because we had already figured it out. StWOM did not do that, it accepted that the audience was smart enough to figure it out on our own and they didn't feel the need to confirm it to the audience. It is nice to have a TV show which is treating me like an intelligent human-being rather than taking my hand and walking me through the story as though I were a child.

And to those who say that this episode didn't have any revelations; it did have revelations, it just chose to show them to us rather than outright explain everything to us. I am extremely happy with that decision.

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Commodore Commodore

A nice little slow-burner, so Above Average.

At the start with all of the wonderful music I was already thinking it was better than last week. It was excellent, all the way through the episode.

Well, they really had me going, setting up Kara with that guy, making me think she was going to start moving on with her life. Then of course we notice that they weren't showing Kara's Dad's face when she was flashing back to childhood, so I knew something was afoot. But not when they started rocking out to Watchtower together! And Tigh's face was an absolute picture! :lol: Michael Hogan is full of win even in small appearances.

Boomer had me going too. There I was with all my season one/two Boomer-baggage, hoping for what they were spoon-feeding us - a Boomer/Tyrol reunion. Tyrol puts a plan in motion to help Boomer escape, but then suddenly Helo is interrupting her. And she will do *anything* to get her and Hera off the ship. :( There is no coming back for her, really. I felt so bad for the Agathons, they have such hard luck. But good to see that Roslin can still call it when she needs to. Her sensing of Hera's trouble was very disturbing...

And so with the amazing last third of the episode, we find out that Kara was imagining her Dad - Head-Papa-Starbuck? He wrote Watchtower, and Hera knows sheet music! I mean, she knows the song. And Kara knows the song. But only the cylons otherwise know the song. Some big implications going on there? Is Daniel to be revealed as Starbuck's Dad? It would fit with a bow very nicely.

Boomer jumping away and damaging Galactica as she did can *not* be a good thing.

4. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

^ I'm beginning to think we're gonna see Galactica's death before the final episode. I hope we're not, I'd like the old gal to go down fighting in the finale, but based on this week and the preview for next, it doesn't look like she's got much in her anymore.

I also think the ship itself might prove to be the 'dying leader' which takes them to the promised land, perhaps in one last jump. Bit of a stretch to fit the old Pythia crap from Season 2/3, but it can't really just be ignored - it was a major part of the show's mythos for over two years.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You think Athena will be pissed that Helo nailed Boomer? Even if he didn't know?

6. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

Emotional crazy-lady? Definitely. The chief can tell Boomer apart, she'll be pissed as hell that Helo couldn't tell Athena.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt it because next week is the finale episode before the 3 hour series finale begins. The old ship, who is not the dieing leader, will make it until the end.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Helo's also not a Cylon, though.

9. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

Plus back in The HUB there was that Eight who had accessed Athena's memories and. . . uh. . . "knew what he liked". . . :shifty:

So if Boomer got those files, she could "switch on" Athena I'm thinking.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Below Average - gah, that was boring. This show is ending at the right time, because my emotional investment in everything going on is rapidly diminishing. I'd be at the point of bailing on the show soon anyway.

Whether or not the Cylons wanted to execute Boomer was completely uninteresting to me. Never gave a shit about the character, or about Athena for that matter. The actress is just too untalented to make me care about any of her characters.

The Cylon rebels are also disgustingly hypocritical if they think they have the right to execute Boomer - who killed other Cylons in the course of a civil war, in which the combatants fell in legitimate battle - while they themselves are still guilty of genocide against millions of innocent civilians. I'll support the Cylons rebels' wish to throw Boomer out an airlock only if they follow her en masse themselves. That would be justice.

The scene with Helo and Boomer was just obnoxious exploitation/soap opera. All the Cylon soap opera crap is painfully clumsy and dull.

The blond piano player turning out to be Kara's dad (and just a figment of her imagination) was far too obvious and cliched.

Cmon Sam, wake up! The show has sucked since you went into a coma. :rommie:

It's far too late for that. It's better for them to continue to ignore the Centurions as characters than to shoehorn them in at the last minute. That would be hilariously awkward and would just emphasize what a mistake it was to make no real effort to integrate them into the story, yet have the logic of the story hinge so much on them.

I'm certainly curious why the Centurions would bother to create skinjobs - envy? They've never shown indications of envy before. Or were they trying to infiltrate human society? At least that makes a bit of sense. But it's far too late now. Too bad, because the issue of metal robots who are sorta kinda human-ish trying to make themselves human is fascinating and the show could have been largely done from the Centurions' point of view.

The less human the Centurions' minds are, the better. And to integrate the Cylon raiders into the story as characters, even better. Even if they are only doglike in their mentality, why can't they be characters? Animals have been fully realized characters in stories often before. Making the Cylons nearly indistinguishable from humans in both looks, personality and mentality was the most boring option. What wasted potential, gah. Maybe Caprica can do something with this idea.
    Agreed. Makes no sense. Why isn't this creating another mutiny? The anger and fear that launched the last one hasn't just magically vanished. Adama and Roslin can't throw everyone in the brig, can they? :rommie: Although I'm sure they'd try.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, did you find that out in the last third of the episode? I knew it from the beginning. Kept hoping the writers would throw a curve, but no.

13. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

I take back my "poor" grade upon viewing without commercials. I place it somewhere between average and below average - as many others have said, too slow for a series with just a few hours left and many knots to tie.

14. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Really loved this slowburner...had that creeping feel all the time....

15. Julian1984

Julian1984 Cadet Newbie

Hi Everyone! My first post is to ask about one thing in this episode... I need to know which one is the name of the song that played Kara in piano (the one that activated the last five...) Thanks! (Is anyway to download it?)

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

All Along the Watchtower by Bear McCreary

Original by Bob Dylan. Also covered by Jimi Hendrix, U2, Dave Matthews Band, Prince, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and more.

17. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, it was the "Final Four" theme, not AATW. They couldn't physically insert the theme (if you can call it one) of AATW into the episode. You can't expect Hera to draw it, or Kara to learn it so fast, So they used the Final Four theme instead. It was first devised by Bear to lead into AATW but has since become a riff of its own. There is a very good blog about it on Bear's web site.

18. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Vampire Kirk

Vampire Kirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Above average. Slow episode with a stellar ending.

20. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that it is better to continue to ignore the Centurions,but I disagree with the reasoning. Sure, it may strike us as a good angle to include the Centurions as characters, but, IMO, from an in-story perspective, it makes perfect sense to ignore them. This in turn, adds dramatic impact if there is a Centurion revolt, for it emphasizes the way the Centurions have been treated all along...eg. they revolt, either by turning on the skinjobs altogether or maybe declaring an end to the rebellion altogether by calling for Cylon unity and Cylon-human unity, which would be the most unexpected thing for the Centurions to do. In this way, the way the Cylons have used them and ignored them is underlined. In fact, if they do indeed become the ones to end the conflicts between the 2 Cylon factions and Cylons and humans, then they, not the Eight, the Five, or Humanity are the ones to actually break the cycle.